U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-26-2015, 03:34 PM
 
805 posts, read 731,515 times
Reputation: 1341

Advertisements

The femanazis ruined it you shouldn't have to ask why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-26-2015, 04:29 PM
 
Location: Raleigh NC
5,284 posts, read 4,571,724 times
Reputation: 13277
This made me realize...a compliment from a woman means more to me anyway. Probably because they are less likely to be trying to hit on me and more likely to just be genuine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2015, 06:35 PM
 
17,167 posts, read 22,195,062 times
Reputation: 31298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
This made me realize...a compliment from a woman means more to me anyway. Probably because they are less likely to be trying to hit on me and more likely to just be genuine.
and here in lies the answer, a lady wouldn't believe a guy to begin with,,,,and of course his motive is far beyond the compliment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2015, 07:36 PM
 
Location: Minnesota
977 posts, read 818,776 times
Reputation: 1447
As others of mentioned, the prospect of a potential harassment suit deter men in the workplace. Also, a compliment can be thought of genuine but comes off as a backhanded compliment to the other person or the compliment itself is backhanded and the person giving the compliment knows it is.

I think the worse is when you compliment someone (for example you might say, that blue shirt/blouse looks good on you) and other person comes back and says: "why, don't you like my other shirt/blouse?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2015, 10:12 PM
 
Location: Japan
9,499 posts, read 3,789,425 times
Reputation: 6078
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissmamaAnnie View Post
When ever I get my hair done and wear make up etc sometimes at work I always get other females telling that I look nice .However I never get guys saying things like "looking nice"like other females do.expect one time when this guy I fancy complimented me so I started thinking he likes me since guys rarely compliment females unless unless they are trying to flirt.

Are guys afraid to give the wrong idea by complimenting a girl on her appearance? Its not a big deal.I am just crurios and intrested to hear other people opinion. thanks
You answered your own question. If a man compliments a woman's apperance, she will think he is interested in her. If the woman is not already interested in the man, this kind of attention will be labeled "creepy" and could have very negative repercussions for him. If she is already interested, she may well lose interest when she learns that the man is just one more guy who fawns over her. There is rarely any upside for men in dishing out these kinds of compliments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2015, 12:19 AM
 
Location: The World
3,012 posts, read 1,815,190 times
Reputation: 7774
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissmamaAnnie View Post
When ever I get my hair done and wear make up etc sometimes at work I always get other females telling that I look nice .However I never get guys saying things like "looking nice"like other females do.expect one time when this guy I fancy complimented me so I started thinking he likes me since guys rarely compliment females unless unless they are trying to flirt.

Are guys afraid to give the wrong idea by complimenting a girl on her appearance? Its not a big deal.I am just crurios and intrested to hear other people opinion. thanks
Stop for a few seconds, and think about the possibilities...

I'll bet you can figure it out if you think about it.

If not...hmm..

Sexual Harassment Suits

You Being Offended and Saying Something

You Ignoring/Shutting Them Down

They Have a Wife and Don't Wanna Be Taken Wrong

They Have a Girlfriend and Don't Wanna Be Taken Wrong

They Mean Something and Don't Wanna Get in Trouble at Work

They Mean Nothing and Don't Wanna Get in Trouble at Work..


...


Use your brain, doll...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2015, 12:57 AM
 
4,948 posts, read 2,570,282 times
Reputation: 22000
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Thank your feminist friends for that. The same bunch who made opening the door for you a punishable crime.
If we want to act pitiful, as we cannot open a door, then I assume we should not want equal pay.

If we constantly want to remind men that we are the weaker sex, go ahead let them open the door for you.

I just don't get it, we have a fit because we are not being paid equally, but we want to be treated differently in other aspects of our lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2015, 01:20 AM
 
Location: The World
3,012 posts, read 1,815,190 times
Reputation: 7774
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
If we want to act pitiful, as we cannot open a door, then I assume we should not want equal pay.

If we constantly want to remind men that we are the weaker sex, go ahead let them open the door for you.

I just don't get it, we have a fit because we are not being paid equally, but we want to be treated differently in other aspects of our lives.
Right. I personally would prefer for no male to comment on my appearance other than my husband. When I was single, compliments still felt awkward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2015, 01:28 AM
 
17,167 posts, read 22,195,062 times
Reputation: 31298
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissmamaAnnie View Post
When ever I get my hair done and wear make up etc sometimes at work I always get other females telling that I look nice .However I never get guys saying things like "looking nice"like other females do.expect one time when this guy I fancy complimented me so I started thinking he likes me since guys rarely compliment females unless unless they are trying to flirt.

Are guys afraid to give the wrong idea by complimenting a girl on her appearance? Its not a big deal.I am just crurios and intrested to hear other people opinion. thanks
miss, this is a great question...

and if this frustrates you,,,it frustrates men twice as much,

20-30 years ago, we use to joke around,,, at work, good hearted fun,,,no one got offended,,
I was raised to respect women,,,open the door for them, help carry something to her car if she was struggling, etc..

here's what I saw happened,,,the whole sexual harassment policies in the workplace broadbrushed men as predators, perverts...
about 12-15 years ago it was mandatory to take sexual harassment and culture classes twice a year at work,,,and it was all about men,,,how we offend women,,, and what can be sexual harassment..

we men were put on notice,, the feminists and men haters got there way ..if a man was to say " you look nice today" this is objectifying a female , thereby creating a hostile environment..

since looking at a woman can be sexual harassment,,,,, our bosses, men and women,,behind closed doors said WATCH EVERY WORD YOU SAY TO A WOMAN AT WORK, no more jokes, no more ANYTHING, since sexual harassment is 99% one way and its a females interpretation,,,
DONT EVEN PARTICIPATE IF SHE IS TELLING A JOKE, WALK AWAY ... its better to avoid, appease, than be sue'd or fired

I use to like giving compliments, making anyone laugh or smile,,,no more!!
and many women think this is b.s.
but...
even if I take one woman to a working lunch to get away from the workplace, maybe there's a few issues to talk about,,, and she wants to go,,i wont do it anymore,,, because it might "alienate" another female in the office, because I didn't take her to lunch and hence played favoritism"..
I cant even reward good behavior,,i use to buy gift certificates with my own money ,,
I use to give these out for good performance,,,yet even then,,,the poor performers sexualized it,,,,so I stopped doing all of this....

i wont even have a facebook account because what if i friend one woman at work and not another...sounds stupid?? well, apparently, you've never had a talkin to from h.r. saying a woman complained because i gave her a larger office ...even tho i can prove why i did on work performance,,,because she was a looker,,the other women said it was because she was pretty...
so there it is,,,other women in the workplace, jealous of how one lady looks,,and i still take the brunt of this b.s.

this is political correctness gone stupid



yes, we men still notice women,,,we are programmed for this,,,and would love to give you a compliment,,,,but what if another lady heard it?? talk about a firestorm,,,,

and unfortunately, this carries over in other areas of life,,,men are 50 times more introverted than 30 years ago... we are conditioned,,,,anything and everything can be offensive
the feminists, men haters have got their way.


oh,,,,its a world apart from a woman giving a guy a compliment,,,,we like them,,,don't get all offended.. from hugs to any compliment,,,,women can say anything,,,,so please do..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2015, 05:57 AM
 
Location: the Permian Basin
4,094 posts, read 2,825,520 times
Reputation: 5665
I used to compliment women my age (I am now 36), but that stopped about 5 years ago. I got tired of hearing some tirade about "sexist pigs" or "I have a boyfriend" instead of a simple "thank you." Women my age didn't understand that a compliment has no ulterior motive.

Any woman who can't (or won't) graciously accept a compliment doesn't deserve one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top