U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 08:46 AM

2,409 posts, read 2,497,651 times

Advertisements

It probably has more to do with the way you deliver the message than the message itself.

If you want to compliment a woman without conveying any romantic intentions, do it casually and in passing, don't go too much into details. Also spread your compliments around to other women as well. It helps if you have a reputation for being friendly and complimentary in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2015, 10:08 AM

4,094 posts, read 2,834,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFest View Post
It probably has more to do with the way you deliver the message than the message itself.

While there is some truth to this, there is a flip side to that coin: some people believe that truth is nothing except what they perceive it to be. To them, everything is completely subjective. In the case of a woman receiving a compliment: it doesn't matter what you said or how you said it, all that matters is how she took it.

These people lack the ability to objectively analyze external stimuli. That is, some people analyze everything through a filter that renders them unable to see the truth for what it really is. This is especially true of people who believe that "everyone always has an ulterior motive."

For example, some women believe that anytime a man compliments them, it is nothing other than a stealth expression of the man's desire to have sex with her - even if no such desire actually exists.

Old 03-29-2015, 10:13 AM

72,984 posts, read 64,465,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissmamaAnnie View Post
When ever I get my hair done and wear make up etc sometimes at work I always get other females telling that I look nice .However I never get guys saying things like "looking nice"like other females do.expect one time when this guy I fancy complimented me so I started thinking he likes me since guys rarely compliment females unless unless they are trying to flirt.

Are guys afraid to give the wrong idea by complimenting a girl on her appearance? Its not a big deal.I am just crurios and intrested to hear other people opinion. thanks
Why would you expect them to compliment you? Men generally admire women from a distance. They don't compliment women they don't know well, as friends or family. It sounds like you just want attention....?

Old 03-29-2015, 12:49 PM

2,601 posts, read 2,990,988 times
I get complimented all the time but not on things like changing my hair or makeup. I just don't think men notice that sort of thing the way women do because we're actually interested in that sort of thing. Men like a woman who looks nice, but I don't think they're focusing on specifics such as hair or a new dress. It's more like the total package.

Old 03-29-2015, 01:35 PM

11,843 posts, read 7,742,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyHappyLucy View Post
I get complimented all the time but not on things like changing my hair or makeup. I just don't think men notice that sort of thing the way women do because we're actually interested in that sort of thing. Men like a woman who looks nice, but I don't think they're focusing on specifics such as hair or a new dress. It's more like the total package.
Trust me men do pay attention to the details except we try not to be too specific. We don't want to be accused of focusing on a specific area.

I once pointed out to a lady that her skirt was sticking to her point to her behind. She's a stranger so I could care less, I saw the same thing at work and I didn't want to point it out. Just too risky.

Old 03-29-2015, 01:53 PM

18,794 posts, read 13,613,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFest View Post

If you want to compliment a woman without conveying any romantic intentions, do it casually and in passing, don't go too much into details. Also spread your compliments around to other women as well. It helps if you have a reputation for being friendly and complimentary in general.
No offense, but anybody taking your advice is setting up a ticking time bomb. Spreading your compliments around to other women increases the odds that sooner or later you run into the woman who turns it into an issue. I admit the odds are not high; most females are not going to go to a lawyer or to HR over a compliment. But for the (say) 1 in 1000 who will, they can wreck havoc.

If you have to compliment a female co-worker, limit it to a tiny circle of those whom you know well enough to trust, and never do it when there are witnesses present.

Old 03-29-2015, 04:37 PM

4,230 posts, read 5,756,546 times
In todays sue happy society blame other women.

Old 03-31-2015, 12:45 PM

8,170 posts, read 9,384,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissmamaAnnie View Post
Even outside work I notice guys rarely compliment women unless its much older man
It isn't politically correct. It is beaten into our heads over and over not to do this stuff anymore. It might trigger someone. You just never know. It's a shame our society has gotten to this point.

Old 03-31-2015, 01:07 PM

780 posts, read 466,027 times
I think they don't compliment because they don't even notice as much as another woman would.

That's just my personal hunch, along with not wanting to get sued for harassment or considered that they are flirting with you.

Old 03-31-2015, 03:01 PM

9,610 posts, read 17,741,496 times
There are women that crave attention & those type of women are unappealing to me. Nothing wrong with "plain" looking women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or