U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 11:28 PM

14,807 posts, read 18,805,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFest View Post
It probably has more to do with the way you deliver the message than the message itself.
False,
All that matters is how she takes it
If you say "you smell good today" and she takes offense to it ... You are sc:ewed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 09:55 AM

15,228 posts, read 23,749,578 times
because with all the rules and politically crap we have out there in the working world, it aint worth it.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:42 AM

2,850 posts, read 765,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Thank you for posting this.

I am sick and tired of people acting like porcupines every time someone is just trying to be nice, polite or just a freakin GENTLEMAN!

Follow: @modgentleman1 & @SuperiorGent on Twitter! and be reminded of how you should act. And ladies: get over yourselves. Try and learn the differences between a jerk and a gentleman!

The 'funny' thing is, women think that chivalry is dead...heck THEY KILLED IT! (or are attempting to anyway... I'll not stop being a gentlemen... )

Old 05-07-2015, 09:11 AM

2,502 posts, read 1,407,881 times
Yes, all of these reasons. A guy can't compliment a woman these days, unless he knows her well. It could easily be misconstrued/misinterpreted, and the guy could get in trouble as a result. So most of us keep our mouths shut.

That being said, I, being a guy, don't mind compliments from women, and even welcome them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docendo discimus View Post
I mean, think about it. If some strange lady walked up to you in the cereal aisle at the grocery store and said, "Wow, I really like your hair!"...wouldn't you think she was a giant dork?
I wouldn't mind that much, depending on whether or not the woman was my type, of course

Old 05-07-2015, 09:18 AM

4,925 posts, read 4,589,926 times
Being a gentleman these days lol... women don't care for that much anymore the feminist movement killed that. You say nice legs, nice lips, nice anything its always turned into a sexual thing. Part of the reason for why chivalry is dying, is because most sexy/gorgeous women often go for a fella with money or a bad boy/douchebag so a lot of nice guys finished helpless or gave up hope with most gorgeous women. I have a gf now so I don't ever compliment women, I might smile that them but never hardly say anything.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:28 AM

9,343 posts, read 8,735,784 times
A male friend of mine opened the door for his date. Doesn't that sound like a gentlemanly gesture?

Not according to his date! She told him she was insulted that he would be so audacious to think she wasn't able to open a door by herself. The nerve of him! He never asked her out again.....good for him!

Old 05-07-2015, 10:20 AM

15,736 posts, read 11,744,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
A male friend of mine opened the door for his date. Doesn't that sound like a gentlemanly gesture?

Not according to his date! She told him she was insulted that he would be so audacious to think she wasn't able to open a door by herself. The nerve of him! He never asked her out again.....good for him!
What a bi t ch. I would have left her right there with the door.

I am curious - so he took her for a date and paid for the drinks? In her mind wouldn't that mean he thinks she can't pay her own bills?

Old 05-07-2015, 10:26 AM

2,601 posts, read 2,984,874 times
I get tastefully complimented all the time. It's rare that anyone is rude about it. I think you're more likely to be complimented if you come off as approachable. I smile a lot, so I figure it's assumed I'll be receptive to it. I usually am. I like nice people.

Old 05-07-2015, 12:06 PM

824 posts, read 1,953,339 times
It has nothing to do with political correctness or potential sexual harassment claims. It boils down to a majority of vocal women expressing how they hate guys hitting on them or guys who have secret agendas. So blame it on the more vocal members of your sex who constantly complain about getting hit on.
That *highly* edited video immediately comes to mind of the woman appearing to be constantly harassed by men while walking down the street. In reality, most were just saying hello, or giving innocent compliments. You simply can't have it both ways ladies!
Personally, I compliment women when they genuinely look good because I typically get compliments on my appearance from the same women.

Old 05-07-2015, 01:57 PM

2,502 posts, read 1,407,881 times
Going along with all of this, we need to clarify which women are involved re: these potential compliments:

1) If a woman is a co-worker - or someone you know well - that you're fairly confident won't misconstrue your compliment, that's one thing. However...

2) If a guy compliments a random woman on the street, she probably would feel the guy was hitting on her and/or had some kind of hidden agenda. Note that some women may find this complimentary, and others may be disturbed/offended by it - if you don't know a woman, you have no idea how she'll react to this - everyone is different.

I did see the video from last Fall?! where the young woman in NYC was recording random guys hitting on her on the street, including one guy that followed her for a while. Not at all surprising, and I can see how that type of thing can be off-putting to some women - especially if it happens continuously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or