U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 03:36 PM

55 posts, read 31,642 times

Advertisements

You don't know how many times I wanted to compliment a girl but it seems like in this day and age it can be taken the wrong way. The only time i feel it would be ok would be when I know the girl and she knows me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 03:40 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,920,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissmamaAnnie View Post
When ever I get my hair done and wear make up etc sometimes at work I always get other females telling that I look nice .However I never get guys saying things like "looking nice"like other females do.
That is because it could be considered inappropriate for guys to provide compliments on physical looks and/or beauty to a woman in the workplace. Especially if it is unwanted. All it takes is that the wrong guy says something, or that the woman takes it the wrong way and the guy could lose his job, and possibly his home (due to lack of employment opportunities) if she files sexual harassment against him.

Always play it safe in the workplace with things like this.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:41 AM

21,518 posts, read 22,798,384 times
It's funny how many dudes are so butt hurt (to use the charming phrase) that they can't tell a woman that they approve of her body. It's a strange sense of entitlement that leads those guys to think "I have to tell that woman over there what I think of how she looks!" You can be nice and pleasant and professional to a woman without bringing her appearance into it.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:38 AM

2,079 posts, read 2,486,564 times
at work I complimented the receptionist one day this week on how she looked and she took the compliment well. and I am a quiet introvert that works in an accounting department. I also work in an office that is mostly women.

y'all just scurred

Old 05-08-2015, 11:02 AM

3,432 posts, read 2,920,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
You can be nice and pleasant and professional to a woman without bringing her appearance into it.
You would think but I've seen too many cases where even just being "nice" can lead to disaster for the guy and a sexual harassment investigation for mgmt/hr.

I was a Divisional Director with a Fortune 100 finance company for a number of years and I have seen many "innocent" cases of "Wow, you look fantastic" turn into full on sexual harassment complaints. It all really just boils down to how the woman feels about YOU and what you say. Minority guy from the mailroom says "You look really beautiful today" - complaint filed. Attractive Senior Vice President guy says in the exact same way "You look really beautiful today" and woman is blushing all day long.

I like to use an analogy of a woman at the gas station. She gets out of her car, and is pumping her gas and next to her pulls up a Datsun truck with lawnmowers and leaf blowers in the back. Middle aged immigrant dude gets out of the truck, looks at her and says "You are one of the most incredibly beautiful and sexy woman I have ever seen. How are you today?". She will probably feel uncomfortable and get back in her car until her tank was full. But if there was a younger, handsome guy who pulled up in a new fancy car and said the exact same thing in the exact same way, she would more than likely feel different about it. Its the same thing. All about how she feels and how she perceives the person giving the compliment.

I think people who are not in senior management, human resources, or work for a Fortune 500 company dont really understand how serious sexual harassment is in the workplace and how things that may seem absolutely and totally innocent and fine, CAN in fact be considered a "sexual harassment" in the workplace depending on how that person "FEELS". I've seen some really good people (one in particular on my staff) lose their jobs over innocent things just because the woman didnt "feel" right about what they said.

Always best to just avoid compliments in the workplace unless asked directly "How does my hair look?" or "Do you like my new dress?" or by someone you know really well.

Old 05-08-2015, 11:09 AM

824 posts, read 1,958,674 times
The extent of my compliments are "you look very nice today," or "I like your new hair-do."

P.S. I was taught to always compliment a woman when she changes her hair, even it looks like crap, lol

Old 05-08-2015, 01:42 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,948,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissmamaAnnie View Post
When ever I get my hair done and wear make up etc sometimes at work I always get other females telling that I look nice .However I never get guys saying things like "looking nice"like other females do.expect one time when this guy I fancy complimented me so I started thinking he likes me since guys rarely compliment females unless unless they are trying to flirt.

Are guys afraid to give the wrong idea by complimenting a girl on her appearance? Its not a big deal.I am just crurios and intrested to hear other people opinion. thanks

It is inappropriate in the workplace. Do you want your coworkers to comment on how you look? Why?

Old 05-08-2015, 01:46 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,948,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
It's funny how many dudes are so butt hurt (to use the charming phrase) that they can't tell a woman that they approve of her body. It's a strange sense of entitlement that leads those guys to think "I have to tell that woman over there what I think of how she looks!" You can be nice and pleasant and professional to a woman without bringing her appearance into it.

Exactly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or