U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 04:36 PM

32,111 posts, read 39,184,670 times

Advertisements

We don't think of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 04:53 PM

13,010 posts, read 12,445,977 times
As a woman, when I compliment a woman I don't know well on her hair, attire, whatever, it is because I have a certain respect for her choice and would like to emulate it in some manner or wish I could emulate it in some manner. When I compliment a man, it's usually because he's a close friend or a boyfriend or relative who has done something different with his appearance and I know it will be taken in the manner it is meant - an acknowledgement of their effort/change. The reasons I'm complimenting them are entirely different.

I have been complimented on attire/hairstyles and other changes in appearance by male coworkers, but they are male coworkers whom I know well and consider friends. (My company is fairly close knit.) Like when two of the male executives at my company noticed that I'd had a significant weight loss - there was nothing inappropriate with regard to it as they both had not seen me in some time and knew that I had been working at losing weight. They were genuinely happy for me. My male friends outside of work will always be sure to compliment me if I have changed something and they notice and approve.

I would feel weird if a guy at work that I didn't know well took note of what I was wearing, unless it was a particularly remarkable item or hairstyle. And I wouldn't feel comfortable complimenting a man I didn't know on his clothing or appearance. That's just weird.

Old 03-24-2015, 04:56 PM

4,236 posts, read 3,030,690 times
It's a sad day when a man cannot kindly compliment a woman for fear of litigation.

Old 03-24-2015, 05:22 PM

4,424 posts, read 5,206,967 times
I dont get how complimenting someone whether you know them or not is weird or creepy. I mean, i bump into ppl (literally) sometimes and even though i dont know them i say "excuse me". To me, that takes just as much as saying "hey, nice shoes". I dont know them but that doesnt bother me. I think its all this "stranger danger" we beat into kids heads that make people fear talking to anyone for any reason whatsoever.

Old 03-24-2015, 05:34 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,416,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissmamaAnnie View Post
When ever I get my hair done and wear make up etc sometimes at work I always get other females telling that I look nice .However I never get guys saying things like "looking nice"like other females do.expect one time when this guy I fancy complimented me so I started thinking he likes me since guys rarely compliment females unless unless they are trying to flirt.

Are guys afraid to give the wrong idea by complimenting a girl on her appearance? Its not a big deal.I am just crurios and intrested to hear other people opinion. thanks
Ive learned... it is veeeeeeeery dangerous to compliment a woman at work, even when you think there is a cool relationship. Its just not worth it, unless you think she has an interest in you. I personally avoid it nowadays.

To a lot of woman, if they don't find you attractive, and you say something complimentary to them, you get put in the "creepy" coulumn.

Old 03-24-2015, 06:18 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,514,285 times
Depends on what your definition of 'often' is.... (to paraphrase Bill Clinton). A man's two cents

Most have covered the reasons based on environment, particularly at work. I have occasionally complimented women I've worked with but dare not do it often and avoid compliments toward physical body traits. I think most women inherently know when they 'physically' look good to men. And wise ones will notice looks of appreciation, whereby, no words are needed.

One time a few years back I made the mistake of making a noticeable comment on how nice a hair style was on a female co-worker and, well, it didn't seem to be received well. She had naturally curly dark hair and one day she comes in with her hair straight and in a classy 1930s -40s looking style (sort of Cleopatra queen of the Nile look or Veronica Lake film noire style) you'd see on a glamour photo shoot. Well, perhaps my facial countenance and dilated pupils due to her lusciousness turned her off, but I got this indifferent look with a perfunctory thank you as she turned away. Hair styles by themselves I've learned to stay away from because they seem to be more personal to women. As in, this compliment meant I didn't like her regular natural hair - who knows. *shrug*

On the other hand, I compliment women mostly on their ability to always look good (well put together in choice of style - "You always look lovely") or a particular color that seems to compliment their complexion / hair color et al. It is a rare environment one can pay compliments on such things these days. I've told women they look glowing (elevator), or that a color looks great with / complements their eye color, or that an outfit looks delightful on you.

A female coworker today was wearing her hair slightly different (up) and her neck looked quite nibble-able but I didn't say anything because there was no chance to say anything without a bunch of other people around and it would have been odd to approach her solely to say so, since we don't interact with frequency. I have told women they look exquisite when warranted and it is received well. Sometimes it's a sense the woman gives off that may prompt the compliment.

I've complimented women in elevators who were strangers but seen frequently since they worked in same building complex so the familiarity I think makes it be more readily received well. It helps when they have a generally good disposition and countenance. I've seen some stunners over the years who by their haughtiness made their beauty transparent to compliments. Perhaps they had a bad day, or perhaps they get too many compliments. I avoid those.

So, it all depends on context. While I don't go out of my way to compliment females, I do find paying compliments to those underappreciated natural beauties others probably overlook or only notice for a 'physical feature' - to be most appreciative. The key is to do so in a non leering or suggestive way but in an appreciative way.

Then there's the algebraic formula of age factor coupled with who and how it was said. Women of a certain age seem to appreciative of compliments more so (over 35) than younger - and are more forgiving as they now begin to appreciate the desirability as the youthfulness fades.

Old 03-24-2015, 06:28 PM

781 posts, read 566,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Thank your feminist friends for that. The same bunch who made opening the door for you a punishable crime.
No kidding. I definitely LOL'd hard when I read the OP. I wonder if the poster is just that naive or being deceptive. And watch those dongle jokes.....

Old 03-24-2015, 07:07 PM

42,565 posts, read 42,416,857 times
They are too busy trying not to pass gas.

Old 03-24-2015, 07:53 PM

2,795 posts, read 3,153,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissmamaAnnie View Post
When ever I get my hair done and wear make up etc sometimes at work I always get other females telling that I look nice .However I never get guys saying things like "looking nice"like other females do.expect one time when this guy I fancy complimented me so I started thinking he likes me since guys rarely compliment females unless unless they are trying to flirt.

Are guys afraid to give the wrong idea by complimenting a girl on her appearance? Its not a big deal.I am just crurios and intrested to hear other people opinion. thanks

Well the work place could get them in hot water, since it could be called sexual harassment....You said it yourself above.....(expect one time when this guy I fancy complimented me so I started thinking he likes me since guys rarely compliment females unless unless they are trying to flirt.)

Old 03-24-2015, 07:55 PM

8,509 posts, read 11,388,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
If they aren't romantically involved they are probably afraid it will be taken (or twisted) the wrong way.
Even if we are otherwise involved, we don't want it to be taken the wrong way by any parties involved. We surely think it though, rest assured. If you're hot, you're hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
They are too busy trying not to pass gas.
haha, this one time, I heard women are capable of the same bodily functions as men - but I refuse to believe it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or