U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 07:03 AM

3,972 posts, read 1,940,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissmamaAnnie View Post
When ever I get my hair done and wear make up etc sometimes at work I always get other females telling that I look nice .However I never get guys saying things like "looking nice"like other females do.expect one time when this guy I fancy complimented me so I started thinking he likes me since guys rarely compliment females unless unless they are trying to flirt.

Are guys afraid to give the wrong idea by complimenting a girl on her appearance? Its not a big deal.I am just crurios and intrested to hear other people opinion. thanks
as many have answered if it's not work related it mite be perceived as unprofessional.

irl, i feel as though most women wear red bottom shoes and expensive hand bags to impress other women. most men don't understand the nuances of women fashion. to me a $30 purse looks the same as a $300 purse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 07:07 AM

35,121 posts, read 37,816,014 times
Quote:
When ever I get my hair done and wear make up etc sometimes at work I always get other females telling that I look nice .However I never get guys saying things like "looking nice"like other females do.expect one time when this guy I fancy complimented me so I started thinking he likes me since guys rarely compliment females unless unless they are trying to flirt.

Are guys afraid to give the wrong idea by complimenting a girl on her appearance? Its not a big deal.I am just crurios and intrested to hear other people opinion. thanks

This is the residual of "Sexual Harrassment Lawsuits" plus so many women think (sometimes mistakenly) that every man that would pay her a compliment has an agenda that is filled with ulterior motives and that he absolutely, positively, without doubt wants to have sex with her. Most of the time that is not true the guy just wanted to pay an innocent compliment.

Old 03-25-2015, 07:08 AM

35,121 posts, read 37,816,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
as many have answered if it's not work related it mite be perceived as unprofessional.

irl, i feel as though most women wear red bottom shoes and expensive hand bags to impress other women. most men don't understand the nuances of women fashion. to me a $30 purse looks the same as a $300 purse.
and every woman I know including me thinks it is ridiculous to spend that kind of money on uncomfortable shoes and handbags that are generally ugly (in our opinion) and we are not impressed on any level.

Old 03-25-2015, 07:16 AM

2,038 posts, read 1,477,213 times
3 words: Sexual Harrassment Case...also known on this website as "being creepy"/ being a creeper...

Cant expect anyone to risk lawsuits and jailtime just so you can get a little ego boost, and then turn around and scream how "scared" and "creeped out" you were the moment the compliments become inconvenient for you...not that you would do this OP, but it does happen often...its just not even worth it at this point.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:03 AM

3,676 posts, read 3,254,531 times
Quote:

Are you out of your mind? A man compliment a woman at work??? You sound as if you just arrived here in your time machine from 1965!

Old 03-25-2015, 08:23 AM

157 posts, read 216,258 times
pretty obvious: sexual harassment claims, trouble with HR that can lead to firing, etc.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:27 AM

21,465 posts, read 22,706,474 times
People can boo-hoo about how feminism has ruined everything for everyone, but the fact is that work isn't a fashion show. Everybody's there to do a job, even the women. If you want to compliment a coworker, tell her that she made a great point at the meeting this morning or that she handled that difficult customer really well. Even among the most casual and friendly coworkers, "you look pretty" isn't appropriate workplace banter. This came up a billion times in the objectification thread--a woman is more than her appearance, especially at her job.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:28 AM

92 posts, read 74,684 times
I worked with a girl some years back that was very flirtatious. She complimented me and some of the other guys. Until one day a new guy heard all the complimenting and decided to compliment her. She was completely disturbed by this and went to management. A few days later he was fired.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:50 AM

723 posts, read 963,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
If they aren't romantically involved they are probably afraid it will be taken (or twisted) the wrong way.

Those sexual harassment classes....
Yep

Old 03-25-2015, 09:11 AM

1,931 posts, read 1,160,023 times
In a world where a guy saying, "Hi there!" can be considered creepy, how on earth could they feel comfortable actually adding a, "You look nice today."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or