U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 12:04 PM

2,435 posts, read 2,731,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Too many men have given compliments with the sole reason of hoping to get the woman in bed for the night, often it is some lame, shallow, and pathetic attempt at a compliment. As we saw on the "why do you not smile more" thread, many men look for any idiotic reason to compliment a woman or ask the equally idiotic "why do you not smile", in hopes of it going all the way to the bed. This is not being "nice", as when challenged about it, they do not compliment guys, just girls, so it seems their "niceness" only applies towards those who the guy will sleep with.

On the flip side, some women have the attitude that if so much a word is spoken from a guy, that means he is flirting with her. I have personally witnessed/experienced some of the most ridiculous reactions from women towards men, ridiculous meaning unwarranted. Example; guy and girl are coworkers, they (there was four other people there as well) are talking among the group about the guy going on vacation, and they discuss a few things as she visited the same place a year earlier. After he leaves, she starts ranting to everyone about how she thinks he likes her, and now what she going to do because she is not into him, blah blah blah.
Ive seen that too. I think a lot of women forget that prejudging all men lecherously is just as bad as racism, lumpling a whole group of people together in a negative way. Or in other words sexism. Sorry if I seem to jab below the belt, but if women are more mature then men as the common opinion suggests, then how about some room for miseducation when it comes to men, just as we are demanded to be more mindful of their feelings? Something I happen to agree with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 12:21 PM

5,060 posts, read 5,551,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
If they aren't romantically involved they are probably afraid it will be taken (or twisted) the wrong way.

Those sexual harassment classes....
That is true, especially the former.

Old 03-25-2015, 01:51 PM

2,850 posts, read 778,098 times
Didn't you hear? there's a war on women... we can't open a door, that's saying that we feel as if we're more capable.
We cannot offer you a jacket at dinner, that's saying we feel we're stronger and more able to handle cold.
We cannot make mention of how nice you look, that's only done because we want to throw you on the table and have our way with you...

Sad isn't it? Chivalry is dead... to some... but not to me!

Old 03-25-2015, 02:28 PM

4,586 posts, read 4,431,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumf View Post
Didn't you hear? there's a war on women... we can't open a door, that's saying that we feel as if we're more capable.
We cannot offer you a jacket at dinner, that's saying we feel we're stronger and more able to handle cold.
We cannot make mention of how nice you look, that's only done because we want to throw you on the table and have our way with you...

Sad isn't it? Chivalry is dead... to some... but not to me!
THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Thank you for posting this.

I am sick and tired of people acting like porcupines every time someone is just trying to be nice, polite or just a freakin GENTLEMAN!

Follow: @modgentleman1 & @SuperiorGent on Twitter! and be reminded of how you should act. And ladies: get over yourselves. Try and learn the differences between a jerk and a gentleman!

Old 03-25-2015, 02:54 PM

511 posts, read 452,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbartek1974 View Post
I worked with a girl some years back that was very flirtatious. She complimented me and some of the other guys. Until one day a new guy heard all the complimenting and decided to compliment her. She was completely disturbed by this and went to management. A few days later he was fired.
what type of the compliment the guy say? Was it about her looks?

Old 03-25-2015, 03:33 PM

1,251 posts, read 1,092,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Thank your feminist friends for that. The same bunch who made opening the door for you a punishable crime.
Oh come on. Like guys were lining up to compliment the new hairdos of *women they weren't trying to flirt with* before anyone ever heard of sexual harassment.

"Did you do something new with your hair?" is just not something most men have ever done, and it has nothing to do with me and my feminist friends.

Here's another thought. Most women who compliment other women on hair, make-up, new shoes etc. are just making conversation. They don't even necessarily mean the compliment. It's just socially-accepted small talk, when it's woman to woman.

Old 03-25-2015, 03:51 PM

8,390 posts, read 9,994,071 times
Most likely out of fear of sexual harassment. Most of that can be blamed on modern feminism.

It also doesn't work the other way around as women can give males compliments all day and they generally won't be stigmatized for doing it.

Last edited by gwillyfromphilly; 03-25-2015 at 04:03 PM..

Old 03-25-2015, 04:10 PM

8,390 posts, read 9,994,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallouise View Post
Oh come on. Like guys were lining up to compliment the new hairdos of *women they weren't trying to flirt with* before anyone ever heard of sexual harassment.

"Did you do something new with your hair?" is just not something most men have ever done, and it has nothing to do with me and my feminist friends.

Here's another thought. Most women who compliment other women on hair, make-up, new shoes etc. are just making conversation. They don't even necessarily mean the compliment. It's just socially-accepted small talk, when it's woman to woman.
It doesn't have to be just a hairdo, it could be a compliment on anything. Society is very quick to demonize men who go out of their way to compliment women. Just because a man gives a woman compliments doesn't mean that they want to sleep with them. Some men are just friendly just as some women are friendly by nature. The main problem is that American society perpetuates a negative and gender bias stereotype that all men are sexual predators or have some sort of hidden motive to take advantage of women.

Old 03-25-2015, 07:28 PM

1,405 posts, read 732,894 times
The climate today forces me to choose the most gender-neutral and platonic language I can think of. So giving compliments based on appearance has long been abandoned.

It reminds me of bullies in grade school-- you had to be careful of what you said around them, so they didn't twist your words to make fun of you or to start a fight. ("Don't ever tell me to take it easy!" "Buddy? I'm not your buddy, why would I hang out with a loser?")

Old 03-25-2015, 09:01 PM

22 posts, read 13,537 times
It is a work place and complimenting a girl on her appearance may bring stressful situation in his working environment. It also depends on the mindset of male colleague how they view the matter. In most cases fear factor works in their mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or