U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 08:37 PM

1,704 posts, read 1,521,765 times

Advertisements

Because most times it's taken the wrong way - with bad consequences. It's to the point where I avoid returning small talk while waiting for my lunch to be made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 08:46 PM

12,826 posts, read 10,202,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissmamaAnnie View Post
When ever I get my hair done and wear make up etc sometimes at work I always get other females telling that I look nice .However I never get guys saying things like "looking nice"like other females do.expect one time when this guy I fancy complimented me so I started thinking he likes me since guys rarely compliment females unless unless they are trying to flirt.

Are guys afraid to give the wrong idea by complimenting a girl on her appearance? Its not a big deal.I am just crurios and intrested to hear other people opinion. thanks
Of course, especially at work. Tell a woman in the office that she looks nice, and you could be staring down an HR violation, termination, and sexual harassment suit. Why even take the risk? I never, ever say anything about anyone's appearance in the office, especially if it's a female.

Even outside of the office, it's the same thing in many forums of life. You don't want to be branded some sort of a sexist rube, so you keep your mouth shut. At other times, many guys are of course also intimidated and scared that anything they say will be seen as a sexual advance...which it may be, and there are other places in life for that...but not a lot of daily life.

Old 03-25-2015, 10:08 PM

11,882 posts, read 10,526,479 times
To the OP, perhaps you might want to make a quick visit to the coffee shop after work, and start chatting up with a few guys from your office ? Then, you are likely to get compliments (a free crossiont at the very least with your latte ).

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 03-25-2015 at 10:22 PM..

Old 03-25-2015, 11:29 PM

156 posts, read 120,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
The double standard is that women can tell men anything about their looks
and when I say anything.... I mean anything.
Haha... I've actually been asked by women in the office, jokingly of course, if I forgot to shave. I could just imagine the response if I asked the same of a few of them

I think the others have pretty much hit it, and it comes down to two things really..

1) It's been beaten out of us, like so many other "manners" and "chivalrous" aspects (opening doors for women for example). The feminist movement has really had an effect on men's interactions with women, and not all of them good, IMO.

2) Men usually don't care as much. I can honestly say that I don't really notice if fellow co-workers (female or male) get their hair done, eyebrows waxed, etc. Even if a guy decides to shave his head one day, I don't know any guy that goes "hey, love what you did there!", and don't usually expect or even desire the recognition from someone else.

For me personally, I could care less what others think. In fact, I've lost about 35 pounds and actually hate that people (women only, btw) go "have you been on a diet? You look like you've lost a lot of weight!". Not one guy has said that to me.. and I'm glad

Old 03-26-2015, 02:06 AM

758 posts, read 582,237 times
Exclamation Men Are Scared Of Lawsuits:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissmamaAnnie View Post
When ever I get my hair done and wear make up etc sometimes at work I always get other females telling that I look nice .However I never get guys saying things like "looking nice"like other females do.expect one time when this guy I fancy complimented me so I started thinking he likes me since guys rarely compliment females unless unless they are trying to flirt.

Are guys afraid to give the wrong idea by complimenting a girl on her appearance? Its not a big deal.I am just crurios and intrested to hear other people opinion. thanks
You want men you don't even know to give you compliments?!

Old 03-26-2015, 10:25 AM

1,191 posts, read 1,231,921 times
Reading this made me think about the video of the woman walking through New York and all the reaction it got. Of course it should be common sense not to compliment a woman on her looks at work. But complimenting a random woman you don't know in public is clearly NOT the thing to do. There is too much room for misinterpretation.

Old 03-26-2015, 10:35 AM

1,936 posts, read 3,340,577 times
From what I've over heard from the other girls at work it seems when ever some one gives them a compliment they take it as some kind of passive aggressive attack, but if they don't say anything they still get mad...so yeah

Old 03-26-2015, 10:38 AM

21,465 posts, read 22,706,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Most likely out of fear of sexual harassment. Most of that can be blamed on modern feminism.

It also doesn't work the other way around as women can give males compliments all day and they generally won't be stigmatized for doing it.
But the OP is talking about a workplace situation. Why is it that the only nice thing some guys think of to say about a woman they work with is about her appearance? Why not "that banana bread you left in the break room was really good"? Or, "it's cool that you ride your bike to work every day." Or, "you must be a saint for dealing with that supervisor of yours." All compliments, none necessarily unprofessional.

Old 03-26-2015, 11:22 AM

8,385 posts, read 9,950,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
But the OP is talking about a workplace situation. Why is it that the only nice thing some guys think of to say about a woman they work with is about her appearance? Why not "that banana bread you left in the break room was really good"? Or, "it's cool that you ride your bike to work every day." Or, "you must be a saint for dealing with that supervisor of yours." All compliments, none necessarily unprofessional.
Guys do say compliments like that to women but men still have to be extra careful with what they say because certain women could perceive it as potential sexual harassment. I don't see the problem in complementing a person for how they look. I would say if a woman got a new hairdo and not a single person said a positive compliment about it, most women would be upset about it.

Old 03-26-2015, 11:45 AM

5,445 posts, read 4,398,223 times
Maybe there was nothing to compliment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or