Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 08:22 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,278,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissmamaAnnie View Post
When ever I get my hair done and wear make up etc sometimes at work I always get other females telling that I look nice .However I never get guys saying things like "looking nice"like other females do.expect one time when this guy I fancy complimented me so I started thinking he likes me since guys rarely compliment females unless unless they are trying to flirt.

Are guys afraid to give the wrong idea by complimenting a girl on her appearance? Its not a big deal.I am just crurios and intrested to hear other people opinion. thanks
I can give you a foreigner perspective
I grew up in Venezuela where anybody will whistle at women walking down the street... anywhere.

In the US, things are completely different.
Any man that compliments women often is quickly called a "pervert"
And if it's done at work, even worse.
We rather be safe than sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 08:46 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,579,426 times
I think a lot of women have a hard time taking compliments. I've done it before only to be responded to with "I look fat, ugly etc"

As others have posted it ain't happening at work under any circumstance.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:11 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,641,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
If they aren't romantically involved they are probably afraid it will be taken (or twisted) the wrong way.

Those sexual harassment classes....
Word.

Just a sign of the times we live in folks.

Sure, there are times when women at my work come in a new nice hairstyle, or nice dress, or they have a nice perfume scent, but I just keep my mouth shut because, y'all know, don't want to rub anyone the wrong way, wink wink.

Double standards, women can compliment each other all they want, but for guys, there's always that small bit of fear or apprehension they'll take it the wrong way.

It is what it is.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:46 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Double standards, women can compliment each other all they want, but for guys, there's always that small bit of fear or apprehension they'll take it the wrong way.
The double standard is that women can tell men anything about their looks
and when I say anything.... I mean anything.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:26 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,836,796 times
Forget about the harassment issue, most guys aren't at all into that high maintenance nonsense that is so important to other women. Who needs more than about five or six pairs of shoes total? An hour to put on makeup? Other women might be impressed, a guy will wonder what she looks like if she was steam cleaned.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:33 PM

282 posts, read 447,133 times
One word: Feminism.

You can thank feminism for your unhappiness and dissatisfaction with men. Feminism is one of the most destructive things ever to happen to the US (and the world).

Old 03-24-2015, 10:39 PM

74 posts, read 94,907 times
Quote:
When ever I get my hair done and wear make up etc sometimes at work I always get other females telling that I look nice .However I never get guys saying things like "looking nice"like other females do.expect one time when this guy I fancy complimented me so I started thinking he likes me since guys rarely compliment females unless unless they are trying to flirt.

Are guys afraid to give the wrong idea by complimenting a girl on her appearance? Its not a big deal.I am just crurios and intrested to hear other people opinion. thanks

Yes they are afraid it will come off as them hitting on you, they are also afraid of getting in trouble with the law if it is in the work place.

In all honesty though women get compliments all the time, other women even give women compliments. Guys very rarely get compliments. Yet they can't complain about it because it is politically incorrect.

Old 03-25-2015, 03:38 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,609,406 times
Quote:

Because the daycare worker that raised them didn't teach them that! This is something your DAD should teach you!

Then, remember, this IS America, and such comments got guys in jail a lot from uptight females that don't know HOW to take a compliment. It goes both ways, and it should have all been taught at home before turing 10.

Lastly, "guys" don't compliment their own interests or girlfriends anymore! None of them wear make up! Remember there is this movement against wearing make up and looking appropriate!

It's a JOKE really, and it only reflects bad on parents unfortunately.

Old 03-25-2015, 05:09 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,528,172 times
This will probably irk some but I tend to compliment older women if I think they are well "put together". I guess I think young women will misinterpret a compliment or, honestly find most younger women are not adventurous enough to design their own style yet - many seem to just mimic what they see in a magazine pic. Older women with a flair for clothing that fits their personal style, a great hair cut with unique jewelry etc., tells me she knows herself and is able to accentuate her style. I find it hard to not compliment a women in her 60s or older who still takes that kind of pride in looking her best.

Old 03-25-2015, 05:33 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,837,015 times
I am a very complimentary person, whether it is a lady I am in a relationship with, or maybe someone I work with. But I am older, and can get away with it because the ones I am not in a relationship with know I am not hitting on them, just being nice.

But, frankly, we guys have no idea exactly what women want out of us. If we don't say anything we are rude, and if we do we run the risk of you suspecting we have ulterior motives. Same with women wearing a low cut blouse or a short skirt..........if we look we are pigs, but why did you wear something so flattering if you didn't want attention ???

But, as I said, I have no problem saying something nice to a lady if I see her looking good. Just about a month ago I was ringing a lady customer out and she had a really striking hair style. So I said to her, "I love the your hairstyle, it fits you perfectly !" She thanked me and said, "I'm actually letting it grow out and don't like it much now." But I reassured her it was nice as is. She seemed to take no offense over the comment, and all was good.

Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty