U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2015, 09:33 AM

336 posts, read 247,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
I have an aversion to makeup; I just didn't grow up wearing it. Now that I'm close to thirty, though, I see wrinkles and bags popping up from constant lack of sleep, so now I'm kind of wishing I knew how to wear it. I also have something like a five o'clock shadow from shaving what started out as peach fuzz on my chin because I got tired of my mom nagging me about it and recommending burning depilatory creams. I should wear makeup to cover it, but I'm afraid people would be able to tell I have it on. I do get painfully self-conscious about it at times, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
There you go! The prized natural look. I have wrinkles around my eyes and wiry dark hair to be occasionally plucked from my chin.Good thing natural is gorgeous for all women.
Keep in mind that most men will not notice 95% of what you see.

All women have seen how rough men can look. This isn't some style statement. Most men just don't know any better. They don't notice the imperfections in either sex, because it hasn't been instilled in them from an early age to notice these imperfections. The only daily grooming/appearance-related questions that enter the mind of most guys are, "do I need to shave today or can I get by without shaving until tomorrow," "did I put on a few pounds / should I go to the gym today," and, perhaps as they get older, "am I losing my hair."

Physical appearance wise, most men only notice a woman's curves and whether she is in shape or not. A smaller percentage of men may notice whether a woman's hair is shiny or not. From an early age, muscle tone, being in shape, etc., are the only aspects of physical appearance that are instilled in most males as being important. However, even this is not true for every male, as evidenced by the number of overweight guys you see. And among men that highly value a toned physique, most recognize that women are supposed to carry more fat (fat is needed for pregnancy, what makes a woman different is sexy, etc.) and they don't expect a woman to be as fit / toned as they are.

Last edited by VAGeek; 03-29-2015 at 09:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2015, 09:46 AM

8,988 posts, read 7,076,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
I'll start wearing make-up when men go back to wearing war paint.

Make-up strikes me as an egregious waste of time, money and effort. I've got a family member who spends - every month - $1,000+ on make-up, hair, pedicures, perfume, and other accoutrements.

She has to borrow money to pay the rent, but she keeps buying that crap.

It's nutty.
I agree.
That is why, as soon as society would allow it, I quit shaving, and I have never worn neckties, and I am not stressed out by my bald head, and I do not own a suit.
That is why I have always told my wife she does not need make-up. Nor does she need perfume.
A good looking woman does not need to be painted up and powdered up, nor does she need to be shaved to emulate a 12 year old, nor does she need to stink to high Heaven, nor does she need to be skinny!

By the same token, a person who does NOT look good won't be helped by any amount of paint and powder!

OF COURSE it is just my opinion. Don't even bother to remind me, I am well aware that it is just opinion.

Old 03-29-2015, 10:33 AM

32,716 posts, read 22,656,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDALLOKUYA View Post
This is something that I just cant understand. Men prefer a woman to look natural. If we can see your makeup / its obviously visible than you probably have too much on.

There is a girl ive been on a few dates with but she wears too much makeup. She looks much better without all that on. I want to tell her that is why I am not seeing her more or will not entertain her as a possible gf. But I cant not tell her that obviously.

Have to agree. Last two women I dated didn't own any make up. Last one didn't do perfumes either. It was great. A beautiful women doesn't need any of that crap.

Old 03-29-2015, 10:38 AM

368 posts, read 464,117 times
Most women don't wear make-up for us lol, if it looks good to them is all that matters.

Old 03-29-2015, 10:44 AM

750 posts, read 456,385 times
Women do it to simply look good / feel good. The problem is more times than not it doesn't actually make them look better.

Not that it matters. Just interesting.

Old 03-29-2015, 11:04 AM

20,861 posts, read 22,433,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Please OP don't speak for all men. I don't prefer the natural look AT ALL. The artificial look attracts me to the highest degree and the natural look is a big turn off for me. Please don't assume every man has the same tastes you do.
Thanks for pointing that out. Many women look better with a bit of added color to their face and eyes. It's their choice if women want to use makeup and how much they want to use.

I once had a boyfriend in my younger days when I wore makeup. He once complimented me on how impressed he was about the way I applied it. He said he thought the little bit of extra color made me look good because my "natural" look is very pale and washed out appearing.

I know what he meant. I wore it to improve my looks and it did. He appreciated the effort I made to look nice. I in turn I told him what type of hairstyle I preferred on a guy and my opinions on his aftershave.

Communication is key in a relationship. If you cannot tell your potential partner what you are thinking, you aren't mature enough to have one.

Old 03-29-2015, 11:48 AM

2,601 posts, read 2,984,326 times
Maybe those women wearing all that makeup like it and aren't seeking your approval.

Natural is a nice look, but most men don't prefer a true natural look (no makeup or hair fixed up). Most men from what I've seen like a woman who knows how to apply makeup and enhance her beauty, but that is NOT a true natural look.

Old 03-29-2015, 12:33 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,050,028 times
Men prefer a natural look that's been painstakingly crafted through hours of expert hair styling and makeup wizardry. You know, like a girl next door sports illustrated model.

Old 03-29-2015, 12:39 PM

11,818 posts, read 7,691,265 times
I did notice lately that some women are balding or growing a mustache and they were not doing anything about it. So this maybe a trend that some men may not want to see.

Old 03-29-2015, 12:50 PM

72,647 posts, read 64,111,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDALLOKUYA View Post
Women do it to simply look good / feel good. The problem is more times than not it doesn't actually make them look better.

Not that it matters. Just interesting.
I'm guessing you live in the Mid-west or maybe the South. It's rare to see what you report on the West Coast, where a lot of women don't wear makeup at all, or just lipstick. Others wear very subtle makeup that's not noticeable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or