U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2015, 12:52 PM

3,858 posts, read 4,280,122 times

Advertisements

Most men who demand women go natural are domineering control freaks. Even many men with a preference for this are controlling. They are intimidated by how attractive women look with makeup and feel more confident and at ease when a woman looks plain.

Ironically many women claim wearing no makeup is empowering. So this is a highly unusual situation where some women feel empowered by doing something that pleases the most dominant, controlling, chauvinistic males out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2015, 12:58 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,050,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Most men who demand women go natural are domineering control freaks. Even many men with a preference for this are controlling. They are intimidated by how attractive women look with makeup and feel more confident and at ease when a woman looks plain.

Ironically many women claim wearing no makeup is empowering. So this is a highly unusual situation where some women feel empowered by doing something that pleases the most dominant, controlling, chauvinistic males out there.
That is interesting. My guy friend who is the most obsessed with having a girlfriend "who doesn't wear makeup" is definitely also the biggest control freak I know.

Old 03-29-2015, 01:04 PM

3,858 posts, read 4,280,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I'm guessing you live in the Mid-west or maybe the South. It's rare to see what you report on the West Coast, where a lot of women don't wear makeup at all, or just lipstick. Others wear very subtle makeup that's not noticeable.
It depends where you live on the West Coast. I have lived in 3 Western cities (Las Vegas, Fresno, and Yakima). Makeup is very popular in all 3 places. Growing up in Vegas is probably how I developed such a love and appreciation for artificial women. Fresno ranked #1 in the U.S in a study on per capita cosmetics sales and with a Hispanic majority makeup is huge here in Yakima. In fact much of the Western U.S is heavily Hispanic and Latinas are big makeup consumers (which is why I am rabidly pro immigration). I have spent much time in L.A/Orange county and there are tons of dolled up artificial looking women there. Maybe there are select pockets but I wouldn't call the West Coast a makeup free region by any stretch.

Old 03-29-2015, 01:42 PM

1,894 posts, read 3,706,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAGeek View Post
Count me among the millions of attractive, successful men that prefer a more natural look.

I am not, nor have I ever been, attracted to women that LOOK like they spend hours in the bathroom fussing with their makeup, lashes, and nails, to put on what is essentially a mask. I consciously and unconsciously perceive these women as less honest / trustworthy, because the woman wearing the mask is not the same woman I would see each morning and evening, if we were to live together.

What I find most unattractive about the LOOK is what it implies about the woman's priorities. If a woman is spending hours in the bathroom fussing with her makeup or nails, then those are hours she won't be doing more important things, such as reading, bettering herself (i.e., learning new things), working out to stay healthy, helping to plan trips or activities, or interacting with future kids.

As someone who is successful, I consider time to be my most limited and most valuable asset. I don't want to waste my time on trivial nonsense, nor do I want my significant other to waste her time (or my time) on trivial nonsense. To me, an attractive woman is a woman that has her "head on straight" and knows what is important and what is not, as far as her time goes. To me, a woman who spends a significant amount of her time on makeup is not a woman that has her priorities straight.

I admit, in my younger, more superficial days, I found women with magazine-esque makeup to be alluring for a night or three. But even then, I never saw such women as being long-term relationship material. Simply put, if a woman looks like she might spend more time on makeup than helping her future kids with homework, then she is not long-term relationship material.
What brand of shampoo and bodywash/soap do you use?
Aftershave?
Shaving cream?
Cologne?
Where do you shop for clothes?
What kind of watch do you wear?
What kind of wallet do you carry?
What kind of shoes on your feet?
If you wear glasses, what kind of frame? Shape? Color?
If you wear contacts...why don't you wear glasses?
When you go to the barber, do you tell him stuff like, "I don't care! Do whatever you want!" or "Just shave it all off! Woohoo!"

The point is, you (and all other men AND women on this forum who like to portray themselves as being so not interested in such vain and 'trivial' pursuits...but yet, LOL, are still interested enough to be posting on a FASHION & BEAUTY forum) also waste time and energy putting on a mask, so don't kid yourself. You are also vain. You are also superficial.

I'm pretty sure you have more than one mirror in your house. And I'm pretty sure that you make deliberate choices when it comes to your shampoo, soap, other toiletries, wardrobe, and hair, no matter how 'simple' and not 'vain' you think those choices are. You could take care of all of your hygiene needs with 1 bottle of Dr. Bronner's all purpose soap (even brushing your teeth), but I'm pretty sure you don't do that. And neither do any of the other holier-than-thou, self-described, 'all natural' people here. I'm reasonably sure that your toiletries say things like 'moisturizing', 'whitening', 'exfoliating', 'smoothing'.

You don't have any business making judgments about a woman's priorities and character based on her makeup, and you especially don't have any business making predictions about her 'future kids'. Wow. Just wow. Arrogant and presumptuous.

Old 03-29-2015, 02:06 PM

Quote:
The reasons are irrelevant.

If a woman feels the need to put on lots of makeup to feel accepted (or better about herself), that, in of itself, is unattractive. It speaks unfavorably to her upbringing / character.

Jennifer Garner had good comment on this subject, below.

"What my mom did that I valued so much was to not place beauty high on the list of priorities,' Jennifer revealed."

Mrs. Garner goes on to say that this helped her to become a well-rounded, confident woman. If, as a man, you marry a woman that values superficial things, then she will (by example) instill those same values in any future daughter she/you might have. That's not something I would want for a daughter.
Um, 'Mrs. Garner' (I think you mean Mrs. Affleck) makes her living in an industry where beauty and the superficial are at the TOP of the list of priorities. Same with her husband.

Jennifer Garner, in addition, is also a spokesperson for a cosmetics/skincare line (Neutrogena), as well as a fashion house (Max Mara).

Are you saying that Ben Affleck married a superficial woman who is going to instill those values in their 2 daughters? And what about their son? Only daughters are susceptible to absorbing superficial values from their mothers? It seems to me that the Afflecks are all doing just fine (better than most), despite Jennifer Garner spending hours on her hair and makeup. And yes, it would be HOURS, as she is a movie star.

And FYI, this natural look where Jennifer Garner has '99%' of her makeup removed (as per Neutrogena's make up remover product claims):

GUESS WHAT?

At a minimum:

That hair is heat styled and contains product.
Those eye lashes are curled.
Those eye brows are plucked and shaped.
Her teeth are artificially whitened.

She has, at a minimum. all of the following on her face:

mascara
eye shadow
brow pencil/powder
primer, concealer and powder
blush
lipstick (and probably lip pencil)

Old 03-29-2015, 02:24 PM

1,634 posts, read 1,065,224 times
It's really a matter of guys sounding really lame about talking about women's makeup and thinking that they really understand women and their world.

btw: whoever sent the rep - Thanks - and the comment my thought exactly.

Old 03-29-2015, 02:58 PM

10,236 posts, read 13,526,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDALLOKUYA View Post

There is a girl ive been on a few dates with but she wears too much makeup. She looks much better without all that on. I want to tell her that is why I am not seeing her more or will not entertain her as a possible gf. But I cant not tell her that obviously.

Then why were you attracted to her in the first place?????????????????

Old 03-29-2015, 03:38 PM

336 posts, read 247,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docendo discimus View Post
What brand of shampoo and bodywash/soap do you use? Whatever is on sale.
Aftershave? Whatever aftershave from Gillette is on sale.
Shaving cream? Whatever shaving cream from Gillette is on sale.
Cologne? None.
Where do you shop for clothes? For clothes to wear outside work, I shop at Target and Macy's, with the occasional BR/Gap sale piece. For work, I buy Tom James M2M suits and shirts from Charles Tyrwhitt.
What kind of watch do you wear? Rolex for work. Nothing outside work.
What kind of wallet do you carry? No-name ID, business / credit card holder, and money clip from Amazon.
What kind of shoes on your feet? Allen Edmonds and Alden dress shoes for work (and going out), New Balance 99x running shoes for everything else.
If you wear glasses, what kind of frame? Shape? Color? None.
If you wear contacts...why don't you wear glasses? None.
When you go to the barber, do you tell him stuff like, "I don't care! Do whatever you want!" or "Just shave it all off! Woohoo!" I don't go to the barber. I trim my hair with a $25 electric razor or I let my GF trim it.
Outside of work-related dress, I am thrifty and choose to save the bulk of my money for travel/experiences and investments. My monthly budget for personal care and grooming is less than $25.

Quote:
The point is, you (and all other men AND women on this forum who like to portray themselves as being so not interested in such vain and 'trivial' pursuits...but yet, LOL, are still interested enough to be posting on a FASHION & BEAUTY forum) also waste time and energy putting on a mask, so don't kid yourself. You are also vain. You are also superficial.
At work, I put on the appropriate mask necessary to do my job.

Outside of work or work-related events, I don't want to deal with unnecessary BS. Life is too short.

Quote:
You don't have any business making judgments about a woman's priorities and character based on her makeup, and you especially don't have any business making predictions about her 'future kids'. Wow. Just wow. Arrogant and presumptuous.
Very few things are more important in a relationship than a person's priorities. Aside from temperament, a person's priorities are largely responsible for the kind of lover, wife/husband, and mother/father a person will be in the long-term. Time is our most limited and most important asset. How a person chooses to spend their time speaks volumes about his/her priorities.

As for men and women presenting a certain image (mask) for their career, that is just common sense / being prudent. In our careers, we can't always choose our co-workers, so we do what is necessary to fit in with the existing workplace culture. As far as Mrs. Garner/Affleck, I too would gladly wear makeup if Neutrogena offered to pay me $10 million to promote their product.

Our personal lives are another matter. In our personal lives, we can choose those we associate with. We can choose to associate with those who are concerned with superficial things, or we can choose to associate with individuals that value us for who we are. If we must present a certain image to others for them to remain "friends," then those weren't friends in the first place.

Old 03-29-2015, 04:18 PM

3,468 posts, read 1,983,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDALLOKUYA View Post
Not sure about statistical evidence, I am going off my experience chatting with other males.

I am talking about women who do not look natural or in most cases have too much on. In other words its clearly visible and noticeable. It is possible to wear makeup and make it look natural.

It is always a good idea to talk in general terms than absolute terms. Sure there are some that do it solely for other reasons. But it would be safe to say most women do it to look attractive to the opposite sex.

Same with men.
Again, you are making assumptions or generalizations..

"Most" is a variable term, and women may dress to impress/compete with other women. I have come to the conclusion that that MIGHT be the case. WHy? because in this day in age in our society ANY man who makes a "gee you look pretty" remark of any kind, especially at work, can get slapped with a sexual harrasment suit. Hence the reason WHY there are a few threads on here called things like "why don't men compliment women" and "why can't I get a compliment out of a man" threads on here. Apparently the women never got the "don't do it" sexual harrasement talk.

I prefer the "natrual" look too, and think some bleached blondes with roots showing look stupid. Notice I didn't say "all", "many" or "most'.
ANd I won't make generalizations to say "most' or "all", because not all are bleached blondes....some ARE natural.

Those women you refer to, may think they look "gorgeous". And maybe to them, they do.

Oh, and MOH {My Other Half} DOES color gray hair, and has been trying to get me to do the smae with my gray hair and beard, but neither one of us wears any makeup at all...LOL. I guess the only makeup I'll be wearing is when the undertaker puts it on me to make me look "natrual" and "alive".

Old 03-29-2015, 05:09 PM

Quote:

What brand of shampoo and bodywash/soap do you use? Whatever is on sale.
Aftershave? Whatever aftershave from Gillette is on sale.
Shaving cream? Whatever shaving cream from Gillette is on sale.
Cologne? None.
Where do you shop for clothes? For clothes to wear outside work, I shop at Target and Macy's, with the occasional BR/Gap sale piece. For work, I buy Tom James M2M suits and shirts from Charles Tyrwhitt.
What kind of watch do you wear? Rolex for work. Nothing outside work.
What kind of wallet do you carry? No-name ID, business / credit card holder, and money clip from Amazon.
What kind of shoes on your feet? Allen Edmonds and Alden dress shoes for work (and going out), New Balance 99x running shoes for everything else.
If you wear glasses, what kind of frame? Shape? Color? None.
If you wear contacts...why don't you wear glasses? None.
When you go to the barber, do you tell him stuff like, "I don't care! Do whatever you want!" or "Just shave it all off! Woohoo!" I don't go to the barber. I trim my hair with a $25 electric razor or I let my GF trim it.

Outside of work-related dress, I am thrifty and choose to save the bulk of my money for travel/experiences and investments. My monthly budget for personal care and grooming is less than $25.

At work, I put on the appropriate mask necessary to do my job.

Outside of work or work-related events, I don't want to deal with unnecessary BS. Life is too short.
But you DO deal with, and participate in, the unnecessary BS outside of work.

Your choice of Target, Macy's, BR and GAP for everyday wear, over, say, Walmart's Faded Glory or Dickie's lines of clothing is a FASHION choice based on vanity, the superficial, and your own standards of appearance. You, too, are emulating a certain look. You are actively presenting a specific image.

Your choice of New Balance running shoes, over, say, Champion sneakers from Payless? Also a FASHION choice.

How would you feel about people making judgments about your character and priorities (and even your hypothetical future parenting skills) based on your fashion choices?

And we haven't even touched on that Rolex.

I wear a Timex on my wrist to work. Does that make me more frugal than you? More genuine? Do I have better priorities than you? Am I more financially responsible? Probably not. I just don't give a damn about watches. (And you should see my fabulous purse collection.) I have a thing for purses. Just like you seem to have a thing for watches. And some people have a thing for cars. To me, a car is an expensive, high maintenance annoying appliance that gets me from point A to point B. I look at a Lamborghini and my eyes glaze over with boredom. I could not care less. Other people look at a Lamborghini and see an impressive feat of engineering and design.

Quote:
As far as Mrs. Garner/Affleck, I too would gladly wear makeup if Neutrogena offered to pay me $10 million to promote their product.
So are you also making assumptions about Jennifer Garner's priorities, honesty and trustworthiness? Are you passing judgment about what kind of mother and wife she must be, based on how much makeup she wears, how much time she spends on her appearance, and the image she presents to the world?

What about the fact that she is part of the exact same billion dollar beauty industry machine that encourages women to care about the 'unnecessary BS' and 'trivial nonsense' that you are poo pooing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or