U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2015, 03:11 AM

4,434 posts, read 1,730,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
Okay.

This is a long thread, and I didn't read most of the pages, so I hope I'm not about to ask a question that was already addressed.

But have you seen her without makeup yet?
I recall a female neighbor years ago, who told me that she slept with makeup, showered with makeup, while her boyfriend was with her. I think I just stood there with my mouth hanging open... This to me, depicts the kind of pressure women can feel.

For me, when first getting to know someone, I would wear makeup when going out together, but if they eventually hung out with me in my apartment, they saw that I did not always wear it. (I recall once running from the door, as I had curlers in my hair and the guy I was seeing said "I came to see YOU, I don't care about that").
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 03:23 AM

14,505 posts, read 11,481,746 times
hahaha oh I remember it was New Years Eve , I was a teenager and was helping my aunt cleaning the house I had on one of these stretchy caps that we used to war on top of hair rollers at night. but I only had it on to hide my hair and keep it out the way while working.. a boy from along the street came to the door to ask me to a party.. I was behind the door and heard his voice and signed to ma aunt to say I wasnt in....she found it highly amusing and asked the boy in... to my disgrace..I was mortified, no makeup.. no hair. hahaha and a hat on like granny in red ridiing hood... I refused his invite although I wanted to go.. as I was just too embarrassed... I bet he ran along the street thiking what a lucky break he d had and I never saw him again hahahaha.

Old 03-30-2015, 06:10 AM

736 posts, read 562,439 times
I prefer women without makeup but then they are not all out there to satisfy my preference nor am I doing so for them.

Old 03-30-2015, 06:24 AM

1,211 posts, read 1,078,081 times
When will men realize it's not all about pleasing you? Women do it for themselves and for their cache with other women. They know you don't care if their hair is done or they just rolled out of bed. They're not all that concerned with what you think when they're applying mascara.

Old 03-30-2015, 07:24 AM

4,721 posts, read 13,612,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDALLOKUYA View Post
Self centered? We are trying to get woman to be the best they can be. Has nothing to do with us.
You sound like you speak for mankind.
Thank God, most men I have encountered are not that shallow.
You must be great fun to date

Old 03-30-2015, 08:23 AM

750 posts, read 456,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
You sound like you speak for mankind.
Thank God, most men I have encountered are not that shallow.
You must be great fun to date
man prefers natural simple look over the dolled up look and he is shallow? makes alot of sense lol

Old 03-30-2015, 08:55 AM

265 posts, read 292,503 times
Quote:
no need, I am a man and men talk about this stuff all the time.
I've had close guy friends my entire life, and I assure you they do not talk about girls and make up all the time.

If even at all.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:25 AM

11,395 posts, read 15,995,267 times
Quote:
man prefers natural simple look over the dolled up look and he is shallow? makes alot of sense lol
The preference itself isn't shallow but thinking that should matter one flying fig to a woman is.

I enjoy makeup. Most days I go without it or very minimally, but I relish the opportunities to really play with it and change up my look. I've had men that I dated tell me they prefer no makeup and that's cool. I prefer makeup, so their preference is not going to change my grooming. I also prefer dresses and I am not going to run out and buy pants because someone I'm dating prefers it.

One thing I've noticed is that when men that I've dated have preferred no makeup, they still ask if I am sick or tired when I wear none. I have been complimented on "going natural" when I in fact had quite a bit of makeup on. There's a disconnect between what most of these men think they want and what they really want, so why would I bother grooming to their preferences anyway?

Old 03-30-2015, 09:45 AM

750 posts, read 456,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
The preference itself isn't shallow but thinking that should matter one flying fig to a woman is.

I enjoy makeup. Most days I go without it or very minimally, but I relish the opportunities to really play with it and change up my look. I've had men that I dated tell me they prefer no makeup and that's cool. I prefer makeup, so their preference is not going to change my grooming. I also prefer dresses and I am not going to run out and buy pants because someone I'm dating prefers it.

One thing I've noticed is that when men that I've dated have preferred no makeup, they still ask if I am sick or tired when I wear none. I have been complimented on "going natural" when I in fact had quite a bit of makeup on. There's a disconnect between what most of these men think they want and what they really want, so why would I bother grooming to their preferences anyway?
Technically, what other people think shouldnt matter (well in regards to appearance).

The problem is it's not so easy to find a woman that looks nice with no makeup on. So many guys may prefer that, but obviously have to switch up their opinion when the no make up look actually makes a woman look "bad".

However, when most men say natural it doesn't necessarily mean no makeup. It just means that the makeup is applied in a way that you can barely tell a woman is wearing any.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:02 AM

Location: NOT in the Land of lollipops & unicorns...I live in reality.
980 posts, read 859,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
I guess my thoughts apply to numerous threads under this topic - why do people assume anyone adjusts their appearance, whether if be make-up, clothing, tattoos, whatever, to appeal to OTHER people. Don't the majority of people base their appearance on what they see in the mirror??? I don't give a rat's a*# what other people think about my "look". It's what I like that matters. Am I alone here?
Not alone at all! I have NEVER in all my 60+ yrs put my makeup on to impress or compete with another woman OR really for any man, either. I like to look good and dress for ME, myself and MOI! I dress from my expensive lingerie to my heels and clothes for ME! I have a career that dictates that I wear scrubs 12 hr/day and they cannot be 'cute' or 'sexy' because of the people we work on and around. So I make darn sure that I at least feel 'pretty' underneath, to me. Makeup is an art that you supposedly learn as a teenager with your friends and keep honing as you get to be a woman. Honestly, makeup is WAAAY more difficult to put on as we hit menopause and skin begins to sag, wrinkle and thin and is not as 'plump' as it once was; PLUS our eyes start to get bad. Any man ever try putting on makeup using TRIfocal lenses? DO IT...it's a feat all of its own! I have had more eye injuries in the last 5 yrs from poking a mascara wand in one eye than I did in 50 prior years. Now, it's not even worth the hassle or the PAIN of recovering from the corneal scratch...I just don't bother unless it's a SPECIAL occasion like family wedding or something.
So, OP, wait til you're a Senior~~you will then find many more like me, who have given up on the makeup out of necessity and at least know why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or