U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-27-2015, 07:03 AM
 
Location: Texas or Cascais, Portugal
3,054 posts, read 2,889,244 times
Reputation: 7313

Advertisements

I guess my thoughts apply to numerous threads under this topic - why do people assume anyone adjusts their appearance, whether if be make-up, clothing, tattoos, whatever, to appeal to OTHER people. Don't the majority of people base their appearance on what they see in the mirror??? I don't give a rat's a*# what other people think about my "look". It's what I like that matters. Am I alone here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-27-2015, 07:03 AM
 
Location: Pennsylvania
1,644 posts, read 1,136,921 times
Reputation: 6020
Generally, if tastefully applied, makeup enhances a woman's appearance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2015, 07:08 AM
 
Location: Type 0.7 Kardashev
10,577 posts, read 6,834,271 times
Reputation: 37337
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDALLOKUYA View Post
This is something that I just cant understand. Men prefer a woman to look natural. If we can see your makeup / its obviously visible than you probably have too much on.

There is a girl ive been on a few dates with but she wears too much makeup. She looks much better without all that on. I want to tell her that is why I am not seeing her more or will not entertain her as a possible gf. But I cant not tell her that obviously.
Q: When will people like you quit narcisstically assuming their subjective preferences are those of the rest of their gender?

A: Almost certainly never.

As to this girl your dating:
Say nothing to her. Instead, keep anonymously telling strangers on the internet about your preferences. What an excellent plan...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2015, 07:43 AM
 
Location: Norfolk
1,574 posts, read 1,980,671 times
Reputation: 5073
I'll start wearing make-up when men go back to wearing war paint.

Make-up strikes me as an egregious waste of time, money and effort. I've got a family member who spends - every month - $1,000+ on make-up, hair, pedicures, perfume, and other accoutrements.

She has to borrow money to pay the rent, but she keeps buying that crap.

It's nutty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2015, 07:50 AM
 
750 posts, read 457,006 times
Reputation: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post


You have basically been posting in absolutes this whole thread, and your telling me not to?

Well, in general, anecdotal evidence tabulated from a few friends is not sufficient to make broad sweeping generalizations about a whole gender. Worse, making assumptions on why you think another gender does something is no better of a way to make broad sweeping generalizations. Much less turn them into absolutes.

I know it defies popular belief among some men, but the motivation of women to do things they feel makes themselves look nice is not always motivated for the purpose to attract the opposite sex.
That comment was not in relation to you.

That was a general comment for any and everyone, myself included.

So which is it, you think women put all that work into looking a certain way to simply appease themselves or is it to appease and present an image to the masses?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2015, 07:51 AM
 
750 posts, read 457,006 times
Reputation: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
I'll start wearing make-up when men go back to wearing war paint.

Make-up strikes me as an egregious waste of time, money and effort. I've got a family member who spends - every month - $1,000+ on make-up, hair, pedicures, perfume, and other accoutrements.

She has to borrow money to pay the rent, but she keeps buying that crap.

It's nutty.
The sad thing is she more than likely looks much better with less makeup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2015, 07:53 AM
 
750 posts, read 457,006 times
Reputation: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Q: When will people like you quit narcisstically assuming their subjective preferences are those of the rest of their gender?

A: Almost certainly never.

As to this girl your dating:
Say nothing to her. Instead, keep anonymously telling strangers on the internet about your preferences. What an excellent plan...
Lets make a poll.

Men in here, which do you prefer.

1) Natural look

or

2) More than noticeable makeup

From all my experience it is similar to the men preferring curves over the slim runway model look.

However, I guess you are free to think otherwise
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2015, 07:55 AM
 
750 posts, read 457,006 times
Reputation: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
I guess my thoughts apply to numerous threads under this topic - why do people assume anyone adjusts their appearance, whether if be make-up, clothing, tattoos, whatever, to appeal to OTHER people. Don't the majority of people base their appearance on what they see in the mirror??? I don't give a rat's a*# what other people think about my "look". It's what I like that matters. Am I alone here?
Someone might argue what WE see in the mirror is influenced by societal standards of beauty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2015, 08:07 AM
 
Location: ATL suburb
1,366 posts, read 3,605,900 times
Reputation: 1542
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDALLOKUYA View Post
This is something that I just cant understand. Men prefer a woman to look natural. If we can see your makeup / its obviously visible than you probably have too much on.

There is a girl ive been on a few dates with but she wears too much makeup. She looks much better without all that on. I want to tell her that is why I am not seeing her more or will not entertain her as a possible gf. But I cant not tell her that obviously.
Any guy who would choose not to date a girl strictly based on the amount of makeup that she wears, is way more shallow than the women he seems to have an issue with. She's better off without you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2015, 08:09 AM
 
Location: Londonderry, NH
41,505 posts, read 49,582,235 times
Reputation: 24548
OP - Some men some of the time.

Makeup when going to the dace. Sweat when hiking up a mountain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top