U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-31-2015, 04:09 PM
 
Location: all over the place (figuratively)
2,635 posts, read 2,115,158 times
Reputation: 1679

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I don't use much make up. But every time I put on lipstick, I receive a lot of attention, even if I just drive around in my car. It makes a big difference as long as you don't overdo it.
I don't think any man wants women to stop wearing lipstick (or gloss), as much as we might dislike it being transferred onto us. Many of us apparently don't think of it as "makeup."

As for why women claim to like wearing more makeup than men want them to, I think it's often deep-rooted insecurity that they might have figuratively buried. I have seen enough makeover shows where women only seem to feel that fear once the makeup comes off in front of the camera.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-31-2015, 04:50 PM
 
Location: Moreno Valley, Ca
1,763 posts, read 1,170,594 times
Reputation: 3796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docendo discimus View Post
But you DO deal with, and participate in, the unnecessary BS outside of work.

Your choice of Target, Macy's, BR and GAP for everyday wear, over, say, Walmart's Faded Glory or Dickie's lines of clothing is a FASHION choice based on vanity, the superficial, and your own standards of appearance. You, too, are emulating a certain look. You are actively presenting a specific image.

Your choice of New Balance running shoes, over, say, Champion sneakers from Payless? Also a FASHION choice.

How would you feel about people making judgments about your character and priorities (and even your hypothetical future parenting skills) based on your fashion choices?

And we haven't even touched on that Rolex.

I wear a Timex on my wrist to work. Does that make me more frugal than you? More genuine? Do I have better priorities than you? Am I more financially responsible? Probably not. I just don't give a damn about watches. (And you should see my fabulous purse collection.) I have a thing for purses. Just like you seem to have a thing for watches. And some people have a thing for cars. To me, a car is an expensive, high maintenance annoying appliance that gets me from point A to point B. I look at a Lamborghini and my eyes glaze over with boredom. I could not care less. Other people look at a Lamborghini and see an impressive feat of engineering and design.




So are you also making assumptions about Jennifer Garner's priorities, honesty and trustworthiness? Are you passing judgment about what kind of mother and wife she must be, based on how much makeup she wears, how much time she spends on her appearance, and the image she presents to the world?

What about the fact that she is part of the exact same billion dollar beauty industry machine that encourages women to care about the 'unnecessary BS' and 'trivial nonsense' that you are poo pooing?

I can't rep you anymore...brilliant replies you have written to this thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2015, 05:38 PM
 
Location: Yakima WA
3,858 posts, read 4,278,882 times
Reputation: 3155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Voila! Some people may need makeup to even out their skin tone, or for other reasons, but I think a lot of it is just marketing. I don't see women wearing makeup when I travel in Europe, with the possible exception of Eastern Europe, but even there, a fair number of women go makeup-free.
Definitely more in Eastern Europe, especially SE European countries like Romania ,the women pour on the makeup and it looks so amazingly hot. Latin and Eastern European women are my favorite in the world because female beauty and glamour are highly valued in their cultures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2015, 05:51 PM
 
Location: State of Transition
72,702 posts, read 64,172,365 times
Reputation: 68501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Definitely more in Eastern Europe, especially SE European countries like Romania ,the women pour on the makeup and it looks so amazingly hot. Latin and Eastern European women are my favorite in the world because female beauty and glamour are highly valued in their cultures.
It depends on which women, in Romania. Women in the villages don't wear makeup. Some married women don't wear much, if any makeup. Even some college students don't wear it. I think foreigners react to a certain type in a certain narrow age-range in Romania, and are blind to the rest. Makeup may be more popular in certain cities than in others, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2015, 07:23 PM
JL
 
7,311 posts, read 11,478,620 times
Reputation: 7168
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDALLOKUYA View Post
This is something that I just cant understand. Men prefer a woman to look natural. If we can see your makeup / its obviously visible than you probably have too much on.

There is a girl ive been on a few dates with but she wears too much makeup. She looks much better without all that on. I want to tell her that is why I am not seeing her more or will not entertain her as a possible gf. But I cant not tell her that obviously.
I get the natural look, but not telling her the truth? At least be up front. That was weak bro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2015, 07:53 PM
 
246 posts, read 207,977 times
Reputation: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
I get the natural look, but not telling her the truth? At least be up front. That was weak bro.
Women who are "high fashion," heavy makeup wearing types aren't going to change their habits for anyone, just as soon as I am not going to run out and get a tattoo if someone I like happens to be in to tattoos. So it wouldn't make sense for the OP to give a reason in this situation--people are who they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2015, 07:58 PM
JL
 
7,311 posts, read 11,478,620 times
Reputation: 7168
Quote:
Originally Posted by matilda79 View Post
Women who are "high fashion," heavy makeup wearing types aren't going to change their habits for anyone, just as soon as I am not going to run out and get a tattoo if someone I like happens to be in to tattoos. So it wouldn't make sense for the OP to give a reason in this situation--people are who they are.
I never said he should try and convince her to change. I was merely saying just tell her why he didn't want to see her anymore. That's all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2015, 09:17 PM
 
Location: Tucson for awhile longer
8,874 posts, read 12,921,392 times
Reputation: 28957
I think men would like women to believe they like the natural look. But take a set of identical twin women. Give one of them breast augmentation. Which one of the twins would most American men would choose?

Not to mention, when men cheat on their wives do they choose a woman who wears less make-up, more casual clothes. and less done-up hair than the wife has? Not usually. She's just usually younger and more naive.

Men might not like extreme things like long, painted fingernails, Paris Hilton fakiness, Kim Kardashian greediness, etc., but how many men would kick Kate Upton to the curb? How about Megan Fox? How about Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, Chrissy Teigen, Jamie Chung, Michelle Trachtenberg, Scarlett Johansson, Mila Kunis, Jennifer Lawrence, or any number of other actresses or models men think are hot?

Do men actually think those women don't color their hair, wear make-up, get facials, go to spas, diet constantly, etc., etc.? Does anyone really think they wake up looking like their photo shoots? Do men think women were born wearing Lycra dresses or skin tight blue jeans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2015, 09:36 PM
 
Location: Northville, MI
11,882 posts, read 10,526,479 times
Reputation: 6312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I think men would like women to believe they like the natural look. But take a set of identical twin women. Give one of them breast augmentation. Which one of the twins would most American men would choose?

Not to mention, when men cheat on their wives do they choose a woman who wears less make-up, more casual clothes. and less done-up hair than the wife has? Not usually. She's just usually younger and more naive.

Men might not like extreme things like long, painted fingernails, Paris Hilton fakiness, Kim Kardashian greediness, etc., but how many men would kick Kate Upton to the curb? How about Megan Fox? How about Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, Chrissy Teigen, Jamie Chung, Michelle Trachtenberg, Scarlett Johansson, Mila Kunis, Jennifer Lawrence, or any number of other actresses or models men think are hot?

Do men actually think those women don't color their hair, wear make-up, get facials, go to spas, diet constantly, etc., etc.? Does anyone really think they wake up looking like their photo shoots? Do men think women were born wearing Lycra dresses or skin tight blue jeans?
You have me cornered, I plead guilty to all the charges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2015, 08:19 AM
 
15,192 posts, read 16,044,725 times
Reputation: 25091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Here is my co-worker who doesn't wear makeup and never has. I think she looks great for 42 years old.
She's very pretty, but she probably would not appreciate your putting her picture up on C-D for all the world to see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top