Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 02:38 AM

750 posts, read 641,452 times

Advertisements

This is something that I just cant understand. Men prefer a woman to look natural. If we can see your makeup / its obviously visible than you probably have too much on.

There is a girl ive been on a few dates with but she wears too much makeup. She looks much better without all that on. I want to tell her that is why I am not seeing her more or will not entertain her as a possible gf. But I cant not tell her that obviously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 04:50 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,946,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDALLOKUYA View Post
This is something that I just cant understand. Men prefer a woman to look natural. If we can see your makeup / its obviously visible than you probably have too much on.

There is a girl ive been on a few dates with but she wears too much makeup. She looks much better without all that on. I want to tell her that is why I am not seeing her more or will not entertain her as a possible gf. But I cant not tell her that obviously.
The bolded should read, "I prefer..." rather than "Men prefer..." Unless you presume to speak for all of us. Hopefully that is not the case.

Old 03-27-2015, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
The bolded should read, "I prefer..." rather than "Men prefer..." Unless you presume to speak for all of us. Hopefully that is not the case.
"a higher percentage"

is that better?

Old 03-27-2015, 06:24 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,916,036 times
Is there statistical evidence even to show "a higher percentage" prefer natural?

Also, are we talking about no make up here, or are we talking about an amount of makeup that is not immediately noticeable to you, compared to an amount of makeup that is noticeable to you where you deem it "too much?"

Beyond all that, who is to say all women are wearing makeup to please men? Maybe they are doing it for themselves?

Old 03-27-2015, 06:51 AM

25,716 posts, read 21,868,237 times
I think the makeup and clothing are both more to compete with other women, impress them, rather than having to do with the man. Makeup generally does look better from a distance.

Old 03-27-2015, 06:51 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,008,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Excellent response!

Old 03-27-2015, 06:54 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,401,566 times
Speak for yourself.

Old 03-27-2015, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Is there statistical evidence even to show "a higher percentage" prefer natural?

Also, are we talking about no make up here, or are we talking about an amount of makeup that is not immediately noticeable to you, compared to an amount of makeup that is noticeable to you where you deem it "too much?"

Beyond all that, who is to say all women are wearing makeup to please men? Maybe they are doing it for themselves?
Not sure about statistical evidence, I am going off my experience chatting with other males.

I am talking about women who do not look natural or in most cases have too much on. In other words its clearly visible and noticeable. It is possible to wear makeup and make it look natural.

It is always a good idea to talk in general terms than absolute terms. Sure there are some that do it solely for other reasons. But it would be safe to say most women do it to look attractive to the opposite sex.

Same with men.

Old 03-27-2015, 06:58 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,946,988 times
Quote:
"a higher percentage"

is that better?
Given Checkered's very fair critique to even this verbology of the question, I'd recommend going with "many" or "a lot." This way you're conveying you are not the only one who feels the way you do, while not make an unsubstantial claims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post

Old 03-27-2015, 07:00 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,916,036 times
Quote:
Not sure about statistical evidence, I am going off my experience chatting with other males.

I am talking about women who do not look natural or in most cases have too much on. In other words its clearly visible and noticeable. It is possible to wear makeup and make it look natural.

It is always a good idea to talk in general terms than absolute terms. Sure there are some that do it solely for other reasons. But it would be safe to say most women do it to look attractive to the opposite sex.

Same with men.

You have basically been posting in absolutes this whole thread, and your telling me not to?

Well, in general, anecdotal evidence tabulated from a few friends is not sufficient to make broad sweeping generalizations about a whole gender. Worse, making assumptions on why you think another gender does something is no better of a way to make broad sweeping generalizations. Much less turn them into absolutes.

I know it defies popular belief among some men, but the motivation of women to do things they feel makes themselves look nice is not always motivated for the purpose to attract the opposite sex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty