U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 04:31 PM

100 posts, read 59,740 times

Advertisements

Actually, I'm fairly happy that my sarcasm came across fantastically. You don't know "womanese" or what you're talking about, and that is pretty clear. I hope that it assists you in thinking the next time before you make sweeping generalizations and ignorantly stereotype us.

Sorry, I know it inflates your ego to think that women are trying to flatter you, but I don't need your attention to feel good about myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 07:41 PM

304 posts, read 314,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
So the fact that there is a record number/percentage unmarried of both sexes (something widely considered a social problem) has nothing to do with what people look like today?
You act as if this is all totally involuntary and the result of a communication breakdown, either between generations of women or between men and women since (just a wild guess) the Baby Boomer era regarding the most appealing expression of femininity, when it could be a choice. Japanese women set an international standard for loveliness, and their most recent adult generation is remaining unmarried en masse by choice. Isn't it possible that some Americans are doing the same, for less shallow reasons (economic instability, changing priorities, lower religiosity) than "Ew, girls are icky now?"

Quote:
Forum "shoulds" make me think men have more conservative tastes than popular media would have us believe, but I believe the only preferences of large male sub-groups that are well-known are those of dirtbags. In practice, many young women these days are dressing for them these days, even though most of those women wouldn't be happy long-term with dirtbags.
Do you have anything else to back up this assertion beyond forum shoulds and anecdotes? There have been numerous studies done on the subject and polls that sample a cross-section of American men.

Last edited by Selena777; 04-01-2015 at 07:53 PM..

Old 04-01-2015, 09:51 PM

2,617 posts, read 2,111,724 times
I have no idea how much of the problems between the sexes are due to lesser physical appeal of the typical woman; I'm just convinced it's a part of it (one fact being more obesity) and maybe one of the easier contributing factors to change (hence, some "shoulds" from me).

Also, no, I don't have anything to back up the assertion about men's tastes. If you have data from studies and polls, please link to them. I like to know what the actual preferences are.

Old 04-02-2015, 07:45 AM

6,461 posts, read 6,094,894 times
Quote:
I have no idea how much of the problems between the sexes are due to lesser physical appeal of the typical woman; I'm just convinced it's a part of it (one fact being more obesity) and maybe one of the easier contributing factors to change (hence, some "shoulds" from me).

Also, no, I don't have anything to back up the assertion about men's tastes. If you have data from studies and polls, please link to them. I like to know what the actual preferences are.
Men are just as likely to be obese and dress poorly as women. I don't understand why you are singling our the female gender. its not a gender issue at all.

I see plenty of ugly and poorly dressed people get married and procreate. It may not be to your taste, but they are still being successful in matching up. Sometimes one partner is better looking, but that doesn't matter if they are happy.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:01 AM

304 posts, read 314,205 times
Quote:

It's your assertion - the burden of proof is on you. If you're curious enough to search for it online, it's there to find.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:46 AM

Right. So I'm guessing there was little or nothing to share and it was a lazy attempt to discredit me. Truthfully, I don't know good search terms, but I did find two articles. This is the first, an interesting one but based on an unscientifically small sample size.
http://tribune.com.pk/story/423410/w...n-a-mans-mind/
The other, muhahaha, gets its own thread.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
Men are just as likely to be obese and dress poorly as women. I don't understand why you are singling our the female gender. its not a gender issue at all.

I see plenty of ugly and poorly dressed people get married and procreate. It may not be to your taste, but they are still being successful in matching up. Sometimes one partner is better looking, but that doesn't matter if they are happy.
1) During the obesity epidemic, women's weight has increased more than men's has. Also, men are more sensitive to women's weight than the other way around (because women's fertility is more linked to weight), and modern styles do no favors to women who aren't slim.
2) Everyone says that about married couples, and besides the point that many people are near their physical peak when the first pair up - it ignores the many unattractive people they don't notice who are perpetually without relationships. Common sense, guaranteed to be supported by data somewhere, says that unattractive people are more likely to be single. Women should, and men should, avoid putting themselves in that category.

By the way, I wish you would list your pet peeves about men's style somewhere. Knowledge is power.

Last edited by goodheathen; 04-02-2015 at 11:17 AM..

Old 04-02-2015, 11:26 AM

You really think that men are more affected by women's obesity? Some men are...sure. Some women are too. I see plenty of obese partners with thin mates. Some people will not date an obese person, some will.

Women are slightly more likely to be obese, but men are more likely to be overweight.

Over 66 million adults in U.S. are obese (30 million men and 36 million women). 74 million are overweight (42 million men and 32 million women).
We have over316 million people in the US.

Yes, fat people generally have a harder time finding clothes that flatter them. This is not a gender issue.

Many people are beyond their peak when they meet up. Many people haven't even had a peak. Some people don't care about looks or actually like the way their mate looks even if you don't.

yes, attractive people generally get mates easier and faster., however there will always be some who don't. Unattractive people can still find mates and date. Some will remain alone.

Can you not see that what you prefer is your prefence, and may not reflect others tastes? People generally wear what they want and act how they want, regardless of what others consider is the "right" thing. It's due to free will and personal choice.

I am not sure why you are making this a gender issue. Some men and women have heinous clothing choices. That is how it will always be. why are you concerned with them fixing themselves? Why does it bother you what female strangers wear?

Last edited by Meyerland; 04-02-2015 at 11:35 AM..

Old 04-02-2015, 11:37 AM

I've spent much time asserting that my preferences in women's look are not unusual. I'm sure I have some odd preferences re that too and what I personally wear. Probably everyone does. I'm talking about changing the choices of people whose preferences probably are based on false beliefs. There are many ignorant people out there. I think of it almost as a duty; for almost all of us, no matter how smart or weird we are, want good-looking mates and care somewhat about what others think.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:40 AM

Quote:
I've spent much time asserting that my preferences in women's look are not unusual. I'm sure I have some odd preferences re that too and what I personally wear. Probably everyone does. I'm talking about changing the choices of people whose preferences probably are based on false beliefs. There are many ignorant people out there. I think of it almost as a duty; for almost all of us, no matter how smart or weird we are, want good-looking mates and care somewhat about what others think.
It's not your duty to tell women what to wear or how to act. They are grown women. They aren't ignorant just because they don't do something you desire.

Are you also advising all those "ignorant" men on what to wear and act?

You still haven't answered...why are you making this a gender issue?

This entire thread is not really about fashion choices, it's about random men trying to dictate how grown women dress and act due to their own personal desires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or