U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 07:55 PM

72,754 posts, read 64,231,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
I was just thinking the same thing, so thank you for saving my fingers from having to type it out.

Mature people respect and admire other people for who they are. Grown, intelligent men know that women are people, not objects, and not everything a woman does is to impress the opposite sex, contrary to what they've been led to believe. Reading some of these threads is like going back to the 1950s.
There's a lot of 1950's talk from some of the guys on this forum. Have you been around for the "women are hypergamous. They always look for a guy who makes more than they do" schtick?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2015, 01:42 AM

17,165 posts, read 22,189,403 times
"should" is one of them words like "always" and never"

what comes after it .... is too highly subjective for respective meaning

you ladies have to keep a couple things in mind on here..... we are mostly anonymous, so its easy to say things in jest, or dry sense of humor, but also,, guys can no longer say anything in the workplace anymore, about or towards another lady, as one lady posted on here ("why don't guys give compliments anymore"?) guys have to watch every word they say ...so its not sexual harassment

so, some things said on here are heavy handed.... and im sure meant to be comical...

most men are pigs, we tend to sexualize wayyy too much(compared to women), but also, men can in no way be honest with many women today, whether in the workplace or friends of wives/girl-friends.....so we are honest on here..when it comes to fashion or beauty..

in reality, women today are more independent than they've ever been....which is great, it doesn't threaten me at all, but even so, men cannot help but look at a pretty lady and think she is pretty- not just admire her hair, or color choices, he's picturing her naked, or "what ifs"
not all guys,, but its hard-wired, this whole society is over-sexualized
but this is why dads are so very over protective of their teenage daughters when it comes to dating,,,,
its not so much he doesn't trust HER, he just knows this young man is programmed to be a pig....

to the op,,thanks for writing this thread gave me a morning chuckle...

Old 03-28-2015, 06:58 AM

8,559 posts, read 11,882,943 times
If they are single: Hire a professional photographer to take photos of them in various poses and positions. Wearing a bikini or at least something only semi revealing (doesn't have to be degrading). It will give their interested suitors something to look at so they can determine whether they want to date them.

Old 03-28-2015, 10:01 AM

26,878 posts, read 28,170,320 times
Your post reminded me of this video. Skip to the last third or so and check out the nifty remote she has. This is what we need for the C-D fashion forum.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NGMInHRR2Fo

Old 03-28-2015, 10:46 AM

2,644 posts, read 2,118,753 times
Decades ago, women had fewer options and were subject to social control over their appearance (and other things, of course). Most of that didn't come directly from men, but rather from schools, moms, finishing schools, etc. Frankly, now that women have so much freedom over their looks, many don't know how to handle it (as in fake-looking cosmetic surgery, trashy styles, and boyish hairstyles), and it can negatively affect men via scarcity of desirable, appropriate women. Men tend to grumble but still listen when women 'should' them about style (the demise of pleats is an example); it's time for women to have the same attitude. Everyone would be happier for it.

Old 03-28-2015, 10:49 AM

35,121 posts, read 37,842,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
Sorry about the rant....

I have started putting those posts under "Shake my head" worthy and not very worthy to start with.

People need to tend to their lives and let others tend to their own lives.

If men do not like how a woman is dressed or looks he has the option to not approach her and women have the same option in regards to men.

There is nothing gender specific about any of these alleged issues but so many want to make them gender specific. I believe they are the ones who lives in glass houses and don't sweep off their own front porch before going to sweep the neighbors front porch.

Old 03-28-2015, 10:52 AM

35,121 posts, read 37,842,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
"should" is one of them words like "always" and never"

what comes after it .... is too highly subjective for respective meaning

you ladies have to keep a couple things in mind on here..... we are mostly anonymous, so its easy to say things in jest, or dry sense of humor, but also,, guys can no longer say anything in the workplace anymore, about or towards another lady, as one lady posted on here ("why don't guys give compliments anymore"?) guys have to watch every word they say ...so its not sexual harassment

so, some things said on here are heavy handed.... and im sure meant to be comical...

most men are pigs, we tend to sexualize wayyy too much(compared to women), but also, men can in no way be honest with many women today, whether in the workplace or friends of wives/girl-friends.....so we are honest on here..when it comes to fashion or beauty..

in reality, women today are more independent than they've ever been....which is great, it doesn't threaten me at all, but even so, men cannot help but look at a pretty lady and think she is pretty- not just admire her hair, or color choices, he's picturing her naked, or "what ifs"
not all guys,, but its hard-wired, this whole society is over-sexualized
but this is why dads are so very over protective of their teenage daughters when it comes to dating,,,,
its not so much he doesn't trust HER, he just knows this young man is programmed to be a pig....

to the op,,thanks for writing this thread gave me a morning chuckle...

Not true at all, men and women both can be as honest as they choose to be but they may not like the repercussions of said honesty.

On the other hand if you cannot be brutally honest with your wife or girlfriend you are with the wrong person.

Old 03-28-2015, 12:11 PM

6,461 posts, read 6,103,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Decades ago, women had fewer options and were subject to social control over their appearance (and other things, of course). Most of that didn't come directly from men, but rather from schools, moms, finishing schools, etc. Frankly, now that women have so much freedom over their looks, many don't know how to handle it (as in fake-looking cosmetic surgery, trashy styles, and boyish hairstyles), and it can negatively affect men via scarcity of desirable, appropriate women. Men tend to grumble but still listen when women 'should' them about style (the demise of pleats is an example); it's time for women to have the same attitude. Everyone would be happier for it.
I guess women choosing how they want to look is infringing on male rights to find us attractive... that's all that should be important to women...that males find us desirable.

The number of threads about what men should wear is threatening to overload the system with their sheer number.... (Insert eye roll here...)

Last edited by Meyerland; 03-28-2015 at 12:27 PM..

Old 03-28-2015, 12:28 PM

2,644 posts, read 2,118,753 times
It's amazing how my statement predictably becomes distorted.

It largely answered the question of the prevalence of "Women should...." It also offered the only solution I can think of. Also, I've never heard a guy explicitly say or strongly imply that women should only dress (or behave) to please men. (Excluding the jokey one about outlawing clothing on attractive women.) Hmm, how about women learn to present themselves in a way that they and men like? It's not like the 'mistakes' don't come back to hurt women.

Old 03-28-2015, 12:30 PM

6,461 posts, read 6,103,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
It's amazing how my statement predictably becomes distorted.

It largely answered the question of the prevalence of "Women should...." It also offered the only solution I can think of. Also, I've never heard a guy explicitly say or strongly imply that women should only dress (or behave) to please men. (Excluding the jokey one about outlawing clothing on attractive women.) Hmm, how about women learn to present themselves in a way that they and men like? It's not like the 'mistakes' don't come back to hurt women.
I got your point, but I think you missed mine. Your point was loud and clear....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or