U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 08:50 PM

23,952 posts, read 31,170,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
According to many posters on CD women should....

Wear make up and try to look more attractive. Also they need to not wear makeup and be natural.

Have sex with the males that want to have sex, but only with one. If they do have sex with several guys they are loose women.

Should wear clothes that don't reveal any part of their bodies, especially camel toe and cleavage. Except they should also dress in a more sexy way to please their men.

Women should also be more aggressive in bed, but only if that is the guys fantasy. If a guy rubs your back or buys you dinner it means you should put out.

Argh!!!! These threads make me nuts.

How about women should make up their own mind about how they dress and act, and men can do the same.

:-)
Then stop reading them. This is a "Fashion and Beauty" forum. People come here and ask opinions, and then others offer them up.

What would you expect?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 09:07 PM

18,916 posts, read 12,513,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Then stop reading them. This is a "Fashion and Beauty" forum. People come here and ask opinions, and then others offer them up.

What would you expect?
I think the reason some of us come here is to exchange fashion ideas and advice. I agree that we don't have to read certain threads, but there are so many of them! I agree that the constant barrage of makeup/no makeup threads, and the wish of some males that women conform to some sort of personal standard they hold, is tiresome in the extreme.

I agree with everyone here who says, I am who I am, and if you don't like it, I simply can't be bothered to care.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Decades ago, women had fewer options and were subject to social control over their appearance (and other things, of course). Most of that didn't come directly from men, but rather from schools, moms, finishing schools, etc. Frankly, now that women have so much freedom over their looks, many don't know how to handle it (as in fake-looking cosmetic surgery, trashy styles, and boyish hairstyles), and it can negatively affect men via scarcity of desirable, appropriate women. Men tend to grumble but still listen when women 'should' them about style (the demise of pleats is an example); it's time for women to have the same attitude. Everyone would be happier for it.
OK, as one who lived through the Fifties, I have to call you on this. Men controlled institutions, media, advertising, schools, Hollywood, employment, family life, and virtually everything else. Women were complicit in this, because our gender was socialized to go along with the established order, which was controlled by men.

In the early Seventies, there was a cultural controversy about women wearing pants in the workplace. Who do you think controlled the workplace? At any rate, men felt they had to control how women dressed. It was OK for women to wear short skirts, at least in some places, but wearing pants to work was worrisome. Of course, this did blow over. Pants on women virtually everywhere became the norm in the Seventies.

When I was in elementary school in the 1950s, we were told what to wear, in that we were only allowed to wear pants, or leggings, in very cold weather. Otherwise, we had to wear dresses. Who do you think controlled the schools?

As late as the 1990s my workplace had an inflexible dress code which did not allow women to work barelegged, or to wear denim in any incarnation, particularly as jeans. Who do you think controlled the workplace?

I haven't even touched on the male control of how women have been presented in movies and TV. How young female actors get parts until they are past 40. Or how a mother of teens is acted by a women no older than 35. Or how a perfectly ordinary looking male actor continues to act for decades, but a lovely female actor does not. How does the continued presentation of impossibly young females in older roles impact how women view themselves as they age? And how impossible the standards are for us all!

Old 03-30-2015, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Many women are attracting primarily bad men or no men. Maybe if they actually listened to men's opinions....
Do you listen to women's opinions about how you should or should not groom yourself and dress?

Old 03-30-2015, 09:33 PM

3,012 posts, read 1,816,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post

What would you expect?
Right, but some people don't ask for opinions, and most of these threads aren't women begging men for advice, they are men starting threads because they want to complain about how women dress or do their makeup.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:02 PM

2,652 posts, read 2,121,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Do you listen to women's opinions about how you should or should not groom yourself and dress?
If a woman in my life hates the way I dress, I will listen. If a bunch of women I hardly know or dislike give the same criticism, I'll wonder if they are right. (I made a few different changes to my look based on that.) Women should react similarly to male feedback. People need to know how others see them. False confidence is disastrous (and why there is no shortage of people nominated for makeover shows).

I'm going to ignore most of the feminist rant a few posts back, but one part I'll address is the falsehood that men controlled girls' schooling. Women have traditionally run schools for females and thus have been in charge of female dress codes. To some extent, they (along with moms) were shaping future women's wardrobe choices, such that men didn't have to patrol them carefully in the workplace, which I assure you all few men want to do.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:13 PM

11,882 posts, read 10,538,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
Right, but some people don't ask for opinions, and most of these threads aren't women begging men for advice, they are men starting threads because they want to complain about how women dress or do their makeup.
And I really wish the few who do it constantly would stop.

Honestly, most men don't care as long as you are clean and presentable in public. What irks me is when some women dress out of the ordinary to seduce men, and some guys talk about women like sex bots. I live across a strip club, trust me it happens.

Old 03-31-2015, 02:11 AM

2,447 posts, read 2,576,233 times
Yea because this never happens to men.

Old 03-31-2015, 10:05 AM

9,891 posts, read 5,736,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
As late as the 1990s my workplace had an inflexible dress code which did not allow women to work barelegged, or to wear denim in any incarnation, particularly as jeans. Who do you think controlled the workplace?
So men could go barelegged and wear jeans?

Those things are not appropriate for a professional work place. Companies could use stricter dress codes considering what people try to get away with now.

Old 03-31-2015, 10:15 AM

2,079 posts, read 2,479,556 times
im an advocate for women wearing whatever they want, but ffs, I am sick of women dressing provocatively, yet giving men dirty looks for noticing. if you wanna dress like a street hooker, that's fine. but if you don't want potential johns coming up to you asking what they can get for $x amount of dollars, then cover up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or