U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-31-2015, 11:20 AM
 
6,461 posts, read 6,112,547 times
Reputation: 9783

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
So men could go barelegged and wear jeans?

Those things are not appropriate for a professional work place. Companies could use stricter dress codes considering what people try to get away with now.
I had to wear heels and panty hose with pants or dresses in the late nineties. I taught kinder and first grades. Then we got a female principal who allowed flats, comfortable shoes, and we got to ditch panty hose. :-)

No one could wear jeans, but men didn't have to wear hose with their pants. They didnt have to wear heels either.

Now dress codes are more relaxed, and more equal. Men and women are allowed to wear Capri pants and even shorts on days like field day. A few men wear the Capri pants, but not many.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-31-2015, 11:58 AM
 
Location: Arizona
100 posts, read 59,917 times
Reputation: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
I'm going to ignore most of the feminist rant a few posts back,
Why's that? Are you not a feminist too? Don't you want women to have equal rights? That's pretty frightening of you to dismiss the idea of women having equal rights. No, don't give me that "modern feminism blah blah blah!!!" rant. Feminism has not changed just because a vocal minority goes feminazi. I don't want to hear your excuses.


Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
im an advocate for women wearing whatever they want, but ffs, I am sick of women dressing provocatively, yet giving men dirty looks for noticing. if you wanna dress like a street hooker, that's fine. but if you don't want potential johns coming up to you asking what they can get for $x amount of dollars, then cover up.
No, here's an idea. How about you control yourself. You say women can "wear whatever they want" and then said they can't dress provocatively. Which is it?

Did you really just say that women are "asking for it"? Yes, yes you did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2015, 12:24 PM
 
2,795 posts, read 3,161,385 times
Reputation: 4454
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
im an advocate for women wearing whatever they want, but ffs, I am sick of women dressing provocatively, yet giving men dirty looks for noticing. if you wanna dress like a street hooker, that's fine. but if you don't want potential johns coming up to you asking what they can get for $x amount of dollars, then cover up.

First off hookers come up to you... Second one needs to control their own lust and action or lack of stop using others as their excuse for bad behavior.....

Last edited by WildCard~; 03-31-2015 at 01:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2015, 12:41 PM
 
Location: Arizona
100 posts, read 59,917 times
Reputation: 359
A lot of it is entitlement. They feel entitled to a woman's time and body because she is visually appealing and wearing something that she thought was bombastic and made her feel pretty and confident.

So many women don't have the same privilege as I do to be 6'4'' in my favorite boots with thighs that match most men's waists. I do martial arts, kickboxing, and other assorted things to keep in shape. I am able to defend myself pretty well but I find it shocking how many times I have to intervene and help much smaller women I don't even know because someone felt entitled.

Leave women alone and let them explore their own unique styles. If it makes them feel genuinely confident, the more power to them.

To answer something upthread: yeah, a lot of women's clothing on the rack sucks. No pockets, too tight, riding up the midriff, sleeves riding into the armpit. Most of my problems come from being tall/having long legs/long waist and being a huge fit mama but it's all boiling down to beige brassiere syndrome. You ladies know what I mean when I say that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2015, 12:50 PM
 
5,282 posts, read 2,888,768 times
Reputation: 13235
Quote:
Originally Posted by futts View Post
A lot of it is entitlement. They feel entitled to a woman's time and body because she is visually appealing and wearing something that she thought was bombastic and made her feel pretty and confident.

So many women don't have the same privilege as I do to be 6'4'' in my favorite boots with thighs that match most men's waists. I do martial arts, kickboxing, and other assorted things to keep in shape. I am able to defend myself pretty well but I find it shocking how many times I have to intervene and help much smaller women I don't even know because someone felt entitled.

Leave women alone and let them explore their own unique styles. If it makes them feel genuinely confident, the more power to them.

To answer something upthread: yeah, a lot of women's clothing on the rack sucks. No pockets, too tight, riding up the midriff, sleeves riding into the armpit. Most of my problems come from being tall/having long legs/long waist and being a huge fit mama but it's all boiling down to beige brassiere syndrome. You ladies know what I mean when I say that.

I understand this. I, too, am tall, and when I wear heels, I'm over 6'. Not quite as tall as you, but still able to be intimidating due to size alone. I've often wondered how I would carry myself and how I would dress if I were a petite little flower. I think I'd be more scared, honestly. With the mindset that some people have of, "She's wearing ____, she must be asking for attention," I'd be scared silly to wear some of the things I wear as a larger, tall woman just because the smaller the person, the more vulnerable they are to attack. That makes me sad to think that a woman couldn't wear what she loves and is comfortable in because of the thought that some rabid person was unable to control themselves. That is problematic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2015, 12:56 PM
 
Location: all over the place (figuratively)
2,653 posts, read 2,124,903 times
Reputation: 1684
Glancing at attractive women in skimpy clothing is almost involuntary. Sometimes I don't mind, sometimes I do (especially if it's very young females). I always am bothered by the fact that there seem to be far more young, single women who look both attractive and trashy or unattractive than attractive and classy. My personal "shoulds" all revolve around that. Why is it controversial that women should try to look attractive and classy? The former has been a universal throughout history, and even today most women look down on their sisters who dress trashy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2015, 01:45 PM
 
Location: Arizona
100 posts, read 59,917 times
Reputation: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
[i]My personal "shoulds" all revolve around that. Why is it controversial that women should try to look attractive and classy? The former has been a universal throughout history, and even today most women look down on their sisters who dress trashy.
Oh, that's pretty neat! You know most women in the world? Are you in the Guinness Book of World Records? I'd like to read the entry.

These are your personal shoulds, like you said. Stick to 'em and do your thing. Leave the so-called "trashy" women alone. Have a glance if you want, they aren't stupid and know it happens, but keep your opinions off of them. They're allowed to do what they want and you don't need to be tearing anyone down to make yourself feel better or beat that you have a "superior opinion" about how they should be dressing into them.

This applies across the board, really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2015, 02:19 PM
 
9,896 posts, read 5,745,997 times
Reputation: 9817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
I had to wear heels and panty hose with pants or dresses in the late nineties. I taught kinder and first grades. Then we got a female principal who allowed flats, comfortable shoes, and we got to ditch panty hose. :-)

No one could wear jeans, but men didn't have to wear hose with their pants. They didnt have to wear heels either.

Now dress codes are more relaxed, and more equal. Men and women are allowed to wear Capri pants and even shorts on days like field day. A few men wear the Capri pants, but not many.

That code was overkill for sure especially in your profession.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2015, 02:35 PM
 
Location: all over the place (figuratively)
2,653 posts, read 2,124,903 times
Reputation: 1684
If 40% of men today consider as marriage material, on looks alone, only 30% of normal-weight women in their desired age range (a murky concept in itself), but would consider 55% of normal-weight women transported in time from, for example, the 80's (a decade not exactly known for class, but still classier than now) and would also rate the 80's personalities better; is that not a social problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2015, 03:57 PM
 
Location: Arizona
100 posts, read 59,917 times
Reputation: 359
There are no "social problems" with what women are wearing or how they look. That's in your head because you're bothered by something you have no business being bothered by. Not everything is about you or what men want from women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top