U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 04:59 PM

2,656 posts, read 2,131,890 times

Advertisements

So the fact that there is a record number/percentage unmarried of both sexes (something widely considered a social problem) has nothing to do with what people look like today? And why are so many men saying "Women should" do this and that?

Almost every unpleasant assertion I've made in this thread has received no specific objections, by the way. It's as if the main thing is women simply disliking being pushed to do things, at least by men. I, however, don't believe in unlimited freedom; we don't live in a vacuum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 05:06 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,575,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
This; I like fat cbicks, but you don't see me saying all women need to hit up the buffet until they're over a size 12, nor do you see me saying all women need to have breast equal, or greater than SaReena Valentina, just because I don't like small breast.
I think its actually SaReena Lee, can't remember.

Old 03-31-2015, 05:09 PM

1,763 posts, read 1,175,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
So the fact that there is a record number/percentage unmarried of both sexes (something widely considered a social problem) has nothing to do with what people look like today? And why are so many men saying "Women should" do this and that?

Almost every unpleasant assertion I've made in this thread has received no specific objections, by the way. It's as if the main thing is women simply disliking being pushed to do things, at least by men. I, however, don't believe in unlimited freedom; we don't live in a vacuum.

This is key. YOU don't believe.

That is your prerogative, it just isn't what everyone else has to believe. Let people dress and do what makes THEM feel good. This is what people are trying to tell you.

Old 03-31-2015, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
So men could go barelegged and wear jeans?

Those things are not appropriate for a professional work place. Companies could use stricter dress codes considering what people try to get away with now.
Uhh....men can go barelegged, if one were to wear stockings(which is what she was refering to)some professional places can let you wear shorts. How could you go bare-legged, and wear jeans, though?

Old 03-31-2015, 05:24 PM

2,656 posts, read 2,131,890 times
It's not making enough of them feel good in the long run, I assert. Because, in hand with other factors that might be 0% appearance, it is not leading them into happy long-term relationships. People who are messing up need to be made aware of that. Contrast that with saying, "Women should be slim with curves," which is harder to control and already grudgingly understood by most women. And, actually, dressing well can slightly compensate for body shape problems. To heck with what Cosmo says attracts men (a concern many women have but might not want to admit publicly); listen to real heterosexual men. By the way, there's a website called Girls Ask Guys which is smart enough to be about that.

Last edited by goodheathen; 03-31-2015 at 05:36 PM..

Old 03-31-2015, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by futts View Post
A lot of it is entitlement. They feel entitled to a woman's time and body because she is visually appealing and wearing something that she thought was bombastic and made her feel pretty and confident.

So many women don't have the same privilege as I do to be 6'4'' in my favorite boots with thighs that match most men's waists. I do martial arts, kickboxing, and other assorted things to keep in shape. I am able to defend myself pretty well but I find it shocking how many times I have to intervene and help much smaller women I don't even know because someone felt entitled.

Leave women alone and let them explore their own unique styles. If it makes them feel genuinely confident, the more power to them.

To answer something upthread: yeah, a lot of women's clothing on the rack sucks. No pockets, too tight, riding up the midriff, sleeves riding into the armpit. Most of my problems come from being tall/having long legs/long waist and being a huge fit mama but it's all boiling down to beige brassiere syndrome. You ladies know what I mean when I say that.
Oooo, baby, where have you been? 6'4, toned up, if you ride a bike, too, I. Am. Yours.

Old 03-31-2015, 05:56 PM

3,025 posts, read 1,831,753 times
Quote:
If a woman in my life hates the way I dress, I will listen. If a bunch of women I hardly know or dislike give the same criticism, I'll wonder if they are right. (I made a few different changes to my look based on that.) Women should react similarly to male feedback. People need to know how others see them. False confidence is disastrous (and why there is no shortage of people nominated for makeover shows).

I'm going to ignore most of the feminist rant a few posts back, but one part I'll address is the falsehood that men controlled girls' schooling. Women have traditionally run schools for females and thus have been in charge of female dress codes. To some extent, they (along with moms) were shaping future women's wardrobe choices, such that men didn't have to patrol them carefully in the workplace, which I assure you all few men want to do.
No, it's not. There is nothing wrong with feeling good about who you are and how you look, whether others find you attractive or not.

Old 03-31-2015, 06:58 PM

19,015 posts, read 12,596,780 times
Quote:
If a woman in my life hates the way I dress, I will listen. If a bunch of women I hardly know or dislike give the same criticism, I'll wonder if they are right. (I made a few different changes to my look based on that.) Women should react similarly to male feedback. People need to know how others see them. False confidence is disastrous (and why there is no shortage of people nominated for makeover shows).

I'm going to ignore most of the feminist rant a few posts back, but one part I'll address is the falsehood that men controlled girls' schooling. Women have traditionally run schools for females and thus have been in charge of female dress codes. To some extent, they (along with moms) were shaping future women's wardrobe choices, such that men didn't have to patrol them carefully in the workplace, which I assure you all few men want to do.
I think it is good that you listen to women you know about your appearance. I also think that if DH wants me to wear something or refrain from wearing another thing, I should listen to him. But I don't think that women need to hear grooming or dressing lessons from faceless men on a forum. And, even though I know they do it, I think women posting querulous questions about what men like on a women are asking the wrong questions to the wrong people.

Old 03-31-2015, 06:59 PM

6,461 posts, read 6,129,398 times
Quote:

Everyone has their own personal preference for how they want their mate to look. I don't find whatever personal preferences you have offensive or worthy of arguing against.

If you think women have unlimited freedom in their clothing choices you are incorrect. Free the nipple movement and all that.

I personally wish we could hide the public male nipple and underarm hair, but to each their own. I just shrug and look away. I don't start threads about how all men should shave their pits and hairy nipples to look neater, because it's none of my business. I don't take offense to pleats, pit stained tshirts, and other fashion offenses. The loose gym shorts while working out and displaying the family jewels is not even thread worthy.

Most men are happy with their choice of mate and don't go on about their fashion choices. Most of my male aquaintances and friends are married or in long term relationships. They seem happy with how their mates dress.

Old 03-31-2015, 07:27 PM

6,461 posts, read 6,129,398 times
Quote:
It's not making enough of them feel good in the long run, I assert. Because, in hand with other factors that might be 0% appearance, it is not leading them into happy long-term relationships. People who are messing up need to be made aware of that. Contrast that with saying, "Women should be slim with curves," which is harder to control and already grudgingly understood by most women. And, actually, dressing well can slightly compensate for body shape problems. To heck with what Cosmo says attracts men (a concern many women have but might not want to admit publicly); listen to real heterosexual men. By the way, there's a website called Girls Ask Guys which is smart enough to be about that.
The only person who needs to be happy with my appearance is myself, but I do take into consideration my husband's desires. We've been together two decades, so I think we are good since he can't keep his hands off me.

For every man who likes a conservative JCPenneys look is a man who likes ripped jeans with the cheeks hanging out. I've seen some pretty interesting looking men and women who have mates, even if I find their outfits horrendous. I'm glad they found each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or