U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-29-2015, 06:31 AM
 
4,279 posts, read 3,289,878 times
Reputation: 2874

Advertisements

This makes me look like a guy! I'm complaining about having unwanted facial hair again. I'm not against getting laser hair removal, but I'm not sure I have enough money to get everything done. The entire treatment is probably going to be around $1000, as several laser sessions are usually required. Plus, the last time I went to get it done it really hurt, so much so that I had to ask them to stop.

I know there are other less painful options that could keep the hair down. Waxing is one, but I never seem to have enough time between needing to actually be somewhere, and, therefore, show up hair-free, and having free time to let my hair grow out enough to be effectively waxed off. It sounds silly, but that keeps me from having a smooth face. Plus, the dermatologist told me that waxing hair actually stimulates more hair growth, not what I want.

Yes, I could also bleach the hair, but that just hasn't worked for me. I end up with blonde chin hair instead of brown, because it's so thick.

It looks like laser hair removal really is my only option. I should also get some kind of test to find out what my hormones look like. The dermatologist said that laser hair removal may only be minimally effective if I still have an imbalance. Again, that costs money, and it sounds complicated.

I could also just shave and cover up with makeup, but I just don't wear makeup. Maybe I should try to get out of that, but that's just the way it is right now. I forget that I have it on and sleep in it, and then I break out. It also doesn't cover the area entirely; there's still some blue showing, and it STILL looks like I have a "five o'clock shadow."

I don't know what to do.

I realize I posted something like this a few months ago, but I could not find it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-29-2015, 08:59 AM
 
Location: Relaxing with animals
479 posts, read 433,863 times
Reputation: 503
I would be wary of that dermatologist who told you waxing stimulates more growth. Shaving, yes. I've never heard anyone complaining of facial waxing causing hair to grow even more. It's the opposite and my own experience. I don't have a lot, but since I've started waxing less and less hair grows in the spots I wax regularly.

Maybe you're not waxing properly.

But if you have that much you definitely need to see a GOOD OBGYN, who will write you a list of hormones to check for. Ask your doc about for possible Candida problems too.

What's your diet like? Cut out sugar as much as practically possible and any food that's known to be processed with growth hormones, or heavy on GMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2015, 09:15 AM
 
4,279 posts, read 3,289,878 times
Reputation: 2874
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyCurious View Post
I would be wary of that dermatologist who told you waxing stimulates more growth. Shaving, yes. I've never heard anyone complaining of facial waxing causing hair to grow even more. It's the opposite and my own experience. I don't have a lot, but since I've started waxing less and less hair grows in the spots I wax regularly.

Maybe you're not waxing properly.

But if you have that much you definitely need to see a GOOD OBGYN, who will write you a list of hormones to check for. Ask your doc about for possible Candida problems too.

What's your diet like? Cut out sugar as much as practically possible and any food that's known to be processed with growth hormones, or heavy on GMO.
Sometimes I feel like I just need to stop eating until I learn how to do it right. I do most of my grocery shopping at Wal-Mart, if that tells you anything. I'm pretty sure my diet is not very healthy. I try, but my diet consists of starches, from bread, pasta, and rice; these are cheap fillers that help stretch a meal further. Plus, I eat out a lot.

As for the doctor, I know I need to do it, but I still can't afford regular insurance coverage. I make too little for the federal healthcare plan, but I still make too much for Medicaid. I think I'm going to move somewhere that has better health benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2015, 12:34 PM
 
Location: Middle of the ocean
27,476 posts, read 17,629,902 times
Reputation: 39936
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyCurious View Post
I would be wary of that dermatologist who told you waxing stimulates more growth. Shaving, yes. I've never heard anyone complaining of facial waxing causing hair to grow even more. It's the opposite and my own experience. I don't have a lot, but since I've started waxing less and less hair grows in the spots I wax regularly.

Maybe you're not waxing properly.

But if you have that much you definitely need to see a GOOD OBGYN, who will write you a list of hormones to check for. Ask your doc about for possible Candida problems too.

What's your diet like? Cut out sugar as much as practically possible and any food that's known to be processed with growth hormones, or heavy on GMO.

The above would concern me too. Though shaving doesn't stimulate growth either. Shaving cuts the hair across the shaft making that stubble feeling. Anything that rips it out by the root, feels softer because it's a new hair and thus tapered at the end.

I epilate.
__________________
____________________________________________
My posts as a Mod will always be in red.
Be sure to review Terms of Service: TOS
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2015, 02:59 PM
 
4,279 posts, read 3,289,878 times
Reputation: 2874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
The above would concern me too. Though shaving doesn't stimulate growth either. Shaving cuts the hair across the shaft making that stubble feeling. Anything that rips it out by the root, feels softer because it's a new hair and thus tapered at the end.

I epilate.
What's the difference in results between an epilator and an electric razor? Do you get better results with one over the other? What brand would you recommend? I've got some really stubborn hair.

It looks like it might work quite well, actually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1NGLkYGwU0

Last edited by krmb; 03-29-2015 at 03:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2015, 03:59 PM
 
Location: Lafayette, LA
3,270 posts, read 2,477,313 times
Reputation: 7221
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Sometimes I feel like I just need to stop eating until I learn how to do it right. I do most of my grocery shopping at Wal-Mart, if that tells you anything. I'm pretty sure my diet is not very healthy. I try, but my diet consists of starches, from bread, pasta, and rice; these are cheap fillers that help stretch a meal further. Plus, I eat out a lot.

As for the doctor, I know I need to do it, but I still can't afford regular insurance coverage. I make too little for the federal healthcare plan, but I still make too much for Medicaid. I think I'm going to move somewhere that has better health benefits.
Honestly not trying to nitpick, BUT. You shop at Walmart for ingredients in your diet that are "cheap fillers". And you say you eat out a lot. Since it's apparent from your other posts that you are not what would be considered "wealthy", I'd think that "eating out" means fast food, which is usually anything but "healthy".
Don't know if your diet has anything to do with the hormone imbalance that you think is causing the extra hair growth on your face, but this is not the way to correct it, imo.

Last edited by puginabug; 03-29-2015 at 05:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2015, 04:32 PM
 
Location: Middle of the ocean
27,476 posts, read 17,629,902 times
Reputation: 39936
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
What's the difference in results between an epilator and an electric razor? Do you get better results with one over the other? What brand would you recommend? I've got some really stubborn hair.

It looks like it might work quite well, actually.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1NGLkYGwU0
An electric razor cuts the hair, an epilator pulls it out by the roots.
__________________
____________________________________________
My posts as a Mod will always be in red.
Be sure to review Terms of Service: TOS
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2015, 06:22 PM
 
11,427 posts, read 19,438,504 times
Reputation: 18124
Bellabe. It's this coiled wire thing you roll over your face to pull out the hair. It's similar to threading. Home

Hurts like anything the first time, because you are pulling EVERY SINGLE HAIR OUT at once. However... get into the habit of doing it every other day or even every day for a minute... and that way you pull out a few at a time as they grow, and they don't grow all at the same rate.

I love that thing -- mustache and chin...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2015, 11:02 PM
 
4,279 posts, read 3,289,878 times
Reputation: 2874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Bellabe. It's this coiled wire thing you roll over your face to pull out the hair. It's similar to threading. Home

Hurts like anything the first time, because you are pulling EVERY SINGLE HAIR OUT at once. However... get into the habit of doing it every other day or even every day for a minute... and that way you pull out a few at a time as they grow, and they don't grow all at the same rate.

I love that thing -- mustache and chin...
I checked Amazon for them; they are certainly affordable, but they look very painful.

http://www.amazon.com/Facial-Remover...words=epilator

Thanks a lot for answering my questions. I think I will opt for epilation, and maybe threading if it doesn't hurt that badly, until I can afford, and tolerate, electrolysis or laser correction. I may also continue to get the finer areas waxed. Really, though, the sideburns don't bother me; it's just this goatee / five o'clock shadow / mustache thing that gets me. Look at me from the wrong angle on a day I forget to shave, and you might think, "why is he wearing ladies' clothing?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2015, 12:13 AM
 
11,427 posts, read 19,438,504 times
Reputation: 18124
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
I checked Amazon for them; they are certainly affordable, but they look very painful.

http://www.amazon.com/Facial-Remover...words=epilator

Thanks a lot for answering my questions. I think I will opt for epilation, and maybe threading if it doesn't hurt that badly, until I can afford, and tolerate, electrolysis or laser correction. I may also continue to get the finer areas waxed. Really, though, the sideburns don't bother me; it's just this goatee / five o'clock shadow / mustache thing that gets me. Look at me from the wrong angle on a day I forget to shave, and you might think, "why is he wearing ladies' clothing?"
Here's the thing with threading -- you go every week or so and they rip out all of the hair they can grab at once. It hurts.

With the Bellabe, if you do it every day, it DOESN'T hurt, because instead of grabbing 100's of hairs and pulling them out all at once, you do one or two or three from all over.

So yeah -- the first time, it's awful. But the next day -- it's no big deal. I'm not kidding -- I just redid my upper lip and my chin in less than 30 seconds.

With threading, you go in every week and experience them taking 100's of hairs out all over -- lots of pain. Did it once, never again, bought a Bellabe and never looked back.

Pretty much epilation is epilation, whether or not you go to a threader or use an epilator or a Bellabe -- pulling your out at the root hurts. But doing it frequently so there is less to pull makes it easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top