U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 04:30 PM

10,236 posts, read 13,518,037 times

Advertisements

Powder for the most part. I only use it on my eyes to thicken my lashes. Never use it on my face.

Primers.

I agree with the poster about contour powder. I use brown eye-shadow.

Lip-liners, usually. I have several and rarely use them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 04:44 PM

1,763 posts, read 1,169,746 times
A useless product for me is one of those eyelash combs... although I do know others who swear by them. I find that my mascara wand/brush does the trick of separating my lashes, unless I get sloppy. In those instances, I just wipe of the wand and go through my lashes again.

I also never use a brow brush.

Old 03-30-2015, 04:47 PM

77 posts, read 251,669 times
I love my eyelash curler. Been using one forever.

Old 03-30-2015, 04:57 PM

13,138 posts, read 7,387,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I can't even think of something that I would consider useless, because if I don't use it it's not really on my radar.

I do have to say that I love my eyelash curler. How do y'all curl your eyelashes?
I'm an eyelash curler fan as well. I don't wear any makeup at all, but that is one beauty item I find very effective. Anything designed to make your eyelashes look like something they are not is generally ineffective, IMO. By that I mean both mascara AND fake eyelashes. Fake eyelashes always look ridiculous and stupid, like bugs are crawling on your eyelids. The application of mascara always looks like exactly that: thick, clumpy, and applied right from a tube of Maybelline. I also agree with whoever mentioned the uselessness of age defying anything beauty products. The only thing that really helps us defy age is death, and I'm not a fan of that option

Old 03-30-2015, 05:35 PM

3,313 posts, read 3,310,348 times
Brow pencil. My brows are blonde and I don't care if I look like Santa Claus lol.

Those teeny tiny eye shadow applicators - who can really use them!

Fancy brushes - well, I just can't afford them. I use whatever came with the blush.

Old 03-30-2015, 06:29 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,056,987 times
Facial masques

Old 03-30-2015, 06:37 PM

5,263 posts, read 2,874,948 times
1. curling iron. I rarely ever "do" my hair. It is very thick and wavy. Usually looks better if I go to bed with it wet!

2. contouring anything. It always looks strange up close, even if it's blended well.

3. hairspray. Doesn't hold my hair, even the extra-strength stuff.

4. lipstick brushes. I wear shimmery Chap-Stik. Lipstick looks goofy on me.

5. highlighter. Just makes me look like an alien.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:53 PM

6,166 posts, read 3,249,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemissrock View Post
1. Blush- Any type of lipstick can be used as cream blush
2. Mascara-Mascaras spoil easily, false eyelashes have a much better effect
3. Lipgloss- Actually if you want a shiny look you can just used vasaline
4. Contour powder- light brown eyeshadow can do the same job.
5. Any "anti-aging" product- There is no such thing, everyone gets wrinkles and get old.
I disagree with some of your list.
1. Lipstick CAN be used as blush, but it has things in it that can irritate sensitive skin. It also can break me out. But in a pinch, it'll do.

2. Mascara and false lashes. I can spot false lashes a mile away. They look overdone for daytime, and make a person look old, since they're sort of old fashioned. Mascara is THE most important cosmetic for me!

5. Anti-aging products - There ARE effective anti-aging products. They are products that contain Retin-A, Retinol, certain acids, certain peptides, and such. They do eliminate fine wrinkles and are proven to do so. I also use firming creams, although I'm not sure those are proven effective. I think they do good, but that's just anecdotal testimony. And of course, sun block is an anti-aging product, since it prevents aging from the sun. These things will not stop the aging process, of course. But it does help skin look more youthful than without the products.

I agree about the lipgloss and contour powder.

MY list of useless cosmetics and beauty products:

Lipstick that's supposed to last all day. All day lipsticks are drying, and what's the problem with re-applying lipstick occasionally?

Things to yank out your leg hair permanently. Is there a big problem with shaving legs that I'm not aware of? This sort of thing seems absolutely useless to me, plus it's painful.

All the various shampoos! I stand at the shampoos in the store and spend half an hour trying to decide whether my hair needs something for smoothness, or body, or protein building, or frizziness, or shine, or super cleaning, or gentleness, or volume, or extra moisture, or purity.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:31 PM

11,425 posts, read 19,433,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I disagree with some of your list.
1. Lipstick CAN be used as blush, but it has things in it that can irritate sensitive skin. It also can break me out. But in a pinch, it'll do.

2. Mascara and false lashes. I can spot false lashes a mile away. They look overdone for daytime, and make a person look old, since they're sort of old fashioned. Mascara is THE most important cosmetic for me!

5. Anti-aging products - There ARE effective anti-aging products. They are products that contain Retin-A, Retinol, certain acids, certain peptides, and such. They do eliminate fine wrinkles and are proven to do so. I also use firming creams, although I'm not sure those are proven effective. I think they do good, but that's just anecdotal testimony. And of course, sun block is an anti-aging product, since it prevents aging from the sun. These things will not stop the aging process, of course. But it does help skin look more youthful than without the products.

I agree about the lipgloss and contour powder.

MY list of useless cosmetics and beauty products:

Lipstick that's supposed to last all day. All day lipsticks are drying, and what's the problem with re-applying lipstick occasionally?

Things to yank out your leg hair permanently. Is there a big problem with shaving legs that I'm not aware of? This sort of thing seems absolutely useless to me, plus it's painful.

All the various shampoos! I stand at the shampoos in the store and spend half an hour trying to decide whether my hair needs something for smoothness, or body, or protein building, or frizziness, or shine, or super cleaning, or gentleness, or volume, or extra moisture, or purity.
Yeah -- I don't understand the hate for things. You don't think they are necessary -- don't use them! Anyone else tired of the hate threads?

Mascara is my go to -- false lashes look bad in real life --TV/Film/Stage -- totally need them. And I love my curler. I use Benefit waterproof Badgal... no combing or messing it with -- curl, apply, done.

I used the epilady epilator on my legs three times. The regrowth itched so bad from UNDER my skin -- it was like my shin bones were itchy. Crazy wild itchy. Didn't think it was the epilator. Did it again -- happened again. Next time -- did one leg to make sure I wasn't crazy.... then after confirmation -- tossed that sucker.

But I'm pretty done with foundation for now. My skin is dry-ish, and even tinted moisturizer feels heavy on my face. Add to that the hot flash sweats, and then it gets streaky. Eyeshadow also gets goofy if I try to go all day -- I'm just a little melty this decade. So just mascara and some Burt's Bees tinted lipbalm.... and I'm good to go.

Old 03-31-2015, 06:58 AM

1,574 posts, read 1,977,317 times
Honestly, I'd say EVERY single "beauty" product is a fraud. In my opinion, the recipe for beauty is physical (eat well, drink lots of water), emotional (focus on the good in your life), and most importantly, spiritual.

"Man looketh on the outward appearance but the Lord looketh on the heart."

The older I get, the more I try to look past the physical, and look "on the heart."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or