U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 05:57 AM

14,513 posts, read 11,495,704 times

Advertisements

I got treated in a similar way.... In my own home my young children, one had asthma would go to their room when my mum and her sister were in blowing smoke all over us.. It didnt matter what I said , it got laughed at and I was teased with being Mrs Fussy or a pain.. my voice just wasnt heard... then when my mothers health was deteriorating in her 60s.. she had heart problems , and then she gave it up.. she gave it up for Her health and no one else... Its easy for some to say.... "but they didnt know back then".... surely to god if a child in their own home has asthma and allergies it shows common sense not to blow smoke around them..My mother died of lung cancer sadly but I still think her and others were very selfish in how they treated family members, and it is the non smoker who has a voice at last...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 06:11 AM

42,565 posts, read 42,426,763 times
Yes yellow teeth or rotting teeth.Many not all-are grossly thin because they don't eat much because lack of appetite.Most younger generations don't smoke.The older ones do 30+ I find many of the older generations try to hide it with makeup or getting a tan.

Old 04-03-2015, 08:43 AM

4,686 posts, read 5,838,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
Am a former smoker but quit in the 1980s. Can smell it on another person. Also, the voice is a dead giveaway for me, especially in a woman. So true, we ALL have a bad habit or two that we want to kick. Smokers do NOT really bother me. There are so many non-smoking areas these days I rarely encounter an area that I have to leave because the smoke is so prevalent. And then I just quietly leave.
I've also noticed this about women. I can usually tell right away if a woman is a smoker by the sound of her voice. I've guessed correctly numerous times after talking to a woman on the phone before meeting her. It seems to start in the late 20s, and gradually get worse as she gets older.

I can't smell smoke on another person but smoke was my alarm clock when I was in school. My father would get up in the morning and smoke at least 3-4 cigarettes with his coffee before he woke me up. He never had to say anything, I was already up from the cigarette smoke burning my nostrils.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:08 AM

722 posts, read 836,376 times
smoking is one reason people use to look older back in the 1930's - 40's compared to modern people that never smoked

when you look at the people in old WWII photos a man thats 25 looks more like 35 - 40 by todays standards

plus they were not as muscular as today causing them to look older and scrawny at an early age plus smoking

the women of the 1930's - 40's also look older at a younger age for some reason? smoking was very popular back then, seems every movie star smoked in the movies every chance they got, actors like John Wayne smoked in almost every scene.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:53 AM

13,661 posts, read 8,669,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post
smoking is one reason people use to look older back in the 1930's - 40's compared to modern people that never smoked

when you look at the people in old WWII photos a man thats 25 looks more like 35 - 40 by todays standards
It wasn’t just smoking. Life was a lot harder back then. Just going about your daily chores must have been a lot more work. Heck, even in our lifetimes life has become physically less demanding. Just look how much more free time people have to spend so much of it on forums like this.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:58 AM

3,858 posts, read 4,280,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post
the person wouldnt show signs unless they have been a smoker for many years

they look scrawny and over sunned very similiar to a crack head tweaker

they usually spend so much time smoking & drinking they dont get fat because they dont eat much , they rather have a smoke

lots of the older country western ladies that have had a hard life and too much sun on the ranch and smoke & drink look similiar
I wonder if there is a correlation between the decline of smoking and the rise of obesity? Back when smoking was very common obesity was rare. Today it's reversed. Not that either one is healthy.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:33 AM

3,420 posts, read 2,899,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
Can you tell if someone is a smoker by a picture?
No.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:50 AM

8,176 posts, read 7,472,580 times
Vertical lines along the top lip.

Look at photos of Laura Bush.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:57 AM

722 posts, read 836,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
It wasn’t just smoking. Life was a lot harder back then. Just going about your daily chores must have been a lot more work. Heck, even in our lifetimes life has become physically less demanding. Just look how much more free time people have to spend so much of it on forums like this.
thats probably true, the people these days are use to a life of easy living, and when times get tough they get government assistance, disability , SSI

seems like half the people get diagnosed with some lame Bi Polar, Attention Deficit Disorder, or other excuse to get a check in the mail these days, everybody is disabled

people back then wouldnt have the luxury of sitting by the PC and chatting all day like people do today

Old 04-03-2015, 12:56 PM
Status: "So let us not talk falsely now, the hour is getting late." (set 5 days ago)

3,267 posts, read 1,472,283 times
The cigarette in his or her mouth is a telltale sign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or