Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 09:29 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hershey48 View Post
sometimes I can tell by the lips.
Yes, that's a tell-tale sign.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 05:57 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,050,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Great. Another smoker bashing thread My fiancee is a light smoker. I wish she didn't smoke, but she is such a light smoker, I didn't even know she smoked until after we had been dating a while. A former smoker myself, I hadn't smoked for more then six years when we met, thus I can detect the odor of smokers as lifelong nonsmokers can (I think). Smoking is a bad habit, but I'm not insanely judgmental about it as many lifelong nonsmokers are. Most nonsmokers aren't saints themselves. We all have something bad for us we depend on to get through tough times in life. It just may not be as obvious as cigarettes.
Did anyone post anything against an individuals right to smoke? This is merely how one can tell whether or not someone smokes/has smoked, based on It's no different than asking if anyone can tell if someone is a drug user or drinker based on appearance.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:30 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,822,831 times
I have always heard that former smokers are more judgemental towards smokers than lifelong non-smokers (like myself). I am not judgemental but that doesn't mean this question can't be answered. I agree with everyone who says you can tell among older people. Older smokers usually look more weathered.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:55 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I have always heard that former smokers are more judgemental towards smokers than lifelong non-smokers (like myself). I am not judgemental but that doesn't mean this question can't be answered. I agree with everyone who says you can tell among older people. Older smokers usually look more weathered.
Smoking does in your skin.. and makes it papery... Ive never smoked and oh yes I am judgemental, and why not.. Ive coughed and sputtered all my life being brought up surrounded by heavy smokers , my eyes stung and I always had colds and coughs.. as the blue cloud was contantly in my house.. I hated it then and hate it even more as people know the dangers now but still do it...

Old 04-02-2015, 07:31 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,631,521 times
Am a former smoker but quit in the 1980s. Can smell it on another person. Also, the voice is a dead giveaway for me, especially in a woman. So true, we ALL have a bad habit or two that we want to kick. Smokers do NOT really bother me. There are so many non-smoking areas these days I rarely encounter an area that I have to leave because the smoke is so prevalent. And then I just quietly leave.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:01 PM

438 posts, read 653,635 times
Its easier to tell if the person is Caucasian or has very fair skin. They have more discoloration and wrinkling of the skin.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:16 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
It seems like 9 times out of 10 I can tell just by a face picture. They always have this look like they just got pepper sprayed / haggered

I thought I was the only one! This is what I have noticed -

1. Premature aging that begins in ones 30s.

2. Fine lines around the lips.

3. An "11" etched between the brows.

4. Skin has a less resilient papery quality.

5. Eyes have an "old" and less bright look. I know it when I see it.

6. Stained and missing teeth.

7. Early sinking of cheeks.

8. Thinner lips.

9. Changes in posture. Sloped shoulders. Stooped. Head juts forward.

I know why some of these are true. Others, not so much. I don't see all in one person, but if I notice 3-5 in a person under 60, they are usually smokers.

This is from a photograph. In person I can smell it. Also tobacco stained fingers, teeth. Change in voice.

Old 04-03-2015, 12:13 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
Don’t want to make the thread political but Obama’s lips are a dead give away, aren’t day?

Old 04-03-2015, 12:25 AM

722 posts, read 1,328,797 times
the person wouldnt show signs unless they have been a smoker for many years

they look scrawny and over sunned very similiar to a crack head tweaker

they usually spend so much time smoking & drinking they dont get fat because they dont eat much , they rather have a smoke

lots of the older country western ladies that have had a hard life and too much sun on the ranch and smoke & drink look similiar

Old 04-03-2015, 05:37 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,745,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Smoking does in your skin.. and makes it papery... Ive never smoked and oh yes I am judgemental, and why not.. Ive coughed and sputtered all my life being brought up surrounded by heavy smokers , my eyes stung and I always had colds and coughs.. as the blue cloud was contantly in my house.. I hated it then and hate it even more as people know the dangers now but still do it...
And then we all pay for their health costs, too.

My father smoked non-stop and I grew up with recurring bouts of tonsillitis, sinusitis and terrible bronchitis.

If you want to talk about a judgement on smokers, I think it was lousy that - after I told my father I had *another* sore throat - he would blow smoke in my face, and then laugh, and tell me that if I didn't like I could get out of his house.

BTW, I was eight years old at the time.

Cigarettes are disgusting, in my opinion, and the health risks are multitudinous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty