Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2015, 01:37 PM

328 posts, read 989,752 times

Advertisements

It seems the trend for the last couple of years is very thin material for blouses and tops. Everything is so thin and revealing and requires a tank top or something worn underneath. However, prices for these items are still very high. Retailers like this because they can sell two items instead of one. First the blouse, and then whatever is sold to go underneath. I find this in every major retailer in which I shop. Is this just the current fashion trend or is manufacturers skimping on quality?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 03:38 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,133,980 times
I guess a little of both.

I wear a lot of Calvin Klein tops. As long as they are a darker color or pattern its fine, but its very hard to find a white or blush color that doesnt reveal a rather detailed representation of the bra beneath it. In fact, I have yet to find a white shirt that doesnt have this problem, regardless of brand. In some cases you can see right down to the hardwear joining the straps to the bra. The roll-up sleeve shirts are a whole 'nother animal. They are mostly sheer. Too sheer for my comfort anyway, regardless of light or dark colors.

On another note, I like to wear machine washable clothes. My issue with dry cleaning is that Im sitting there for 8 to 10 hours with dry cleaning chemicals leeching into my skin. Ew! Dont want that!

Although they say they need to be dry cleaned, the sleeveless pleated neck CK tops can be washed on the gentle cycle. I learned this by accident, reading the instructions after I had washed one.

Same with blazers and jackets. I find LRL to be better quality than Tommy Hilfiger consistently. I recently bought a TH blazer that was machine washable. I didnt notice before I washed it, but the lining is a total mess. Its like it was intended for a much larger jacket, and the jacket did not shrink at all. The sleeves end off at a weird angle, and Im not sure if that's style, or just another aspect of the poor craftsmenship in the product.

This is not the first time Ive been disapointed by the quality of TH. The overall style is decent and many times classic, and although I have a couple pieces I have enjoyed for years, I dont think I will be going out of my way to purchase more of his stuff.

As for problems with contruction, I think that has happened mostly since the bulk of clothing manufacture has been jobed-out overseas. They just dont care and are working on production numbers.

If the sheerness is style, I cant wait for that style to change.

Old 04-05-2015, 03:38 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,930,950 times
Yes..it's cost cutting. I hate the new stuff!!!

Old 04-05-2015, 04:38 PM

102,066 posts, read 106,917,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
On another note, I like to wear machine washable clothes. My issue with dry cleaning is that Im sitting there for 8 to 10 hours with dry cleaning chemicals leeching into my skin. Ew! Dont want that!
Look for dry cleaners that advertise that they use environmentally-friendly chemicals. There are "alternative" dry cleaners that get the job done, but without the toxicity.

Old 04-05-2015, 09:48 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,701,224 times
100% agreeed. I do not even try on white or light colored tops anymore. It is like a free show!

I am excited when I find something that seems well made.

Old 04-05-2015, 10:07 PM

609 posts, read 612,887 times
Yep I remember talking to someone about this. I'm not sure if it's because of the hit our economy took years ago, but the quality of clothes has gone down hill because they are using cheaper materials. Such a shame!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty