U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 12:09 PM

750 posts, read 456,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
No-no, it doesn't, I agree.
But how do you think it became "Universal"?
Do you think it's all "advertisement" or something is built in us within, that dictates us what beauty is, independently from mass media?
It is built within us imo. The media is simply giving people what they want to see.

Old 04-04-2015, 12:11 PM

9,343 posts, read 8,738,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDALLOKUYA View Post
True, however, there is a universal standard of beauty recognized by the majority.
Beauty to me is not someone who has plastered her face with a ton of make-up and walks around with the "Look at me!" attitude....LOL. Beautiful woman are beautiful on the inside.

Old 04-04-2015, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Beauty to me is not someone who has plastered her face with a ton of make-up and walks around with the "Look at me!" attitude....LOL. Beautiful woman are beautiful on the inside.
A cake face cant be beautiful. They can be a clown though..

Old 04-04-2015, 12:35 PM

13,155 posts, read 7,398,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDALLOKUYA View Post
True, however, there is a universal standard of beauty recognized by the majority.
No, there isn't. Because universal means everyone, and majority means most people. And there is no universal standard of beauty, or even majority opinion. Standards of beauty are largely culturally determined. (I'd rate wheat lady a 5 max, BTW. Too much makeup, IMO).

Old 04-04-2015, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
No, there isn't. Because universal means everyone, and majority means most people. And there is no universal standard of beauty, or even majority opinion. Standards of beauty are largely culturally determined. (I'd rate wheat lady a 5 max, BTW. Too much makeup, IMO).
Your just playing a game on words. Universal Beauty does not mean nor was intended to mean ALL / EVERYONE thinking the same thing.

Now, you do make a point with culture.

Thus we would have to say "Western Universal" standards etc.

Even still beauty standards are quite similar across the globe.

Old 04-04-2015, 12:47 PM

35,121 posts, read 37,816,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W--Y--D View Post
Everyone has a different idea of what perfection is but IMO this is pretty damn close to it. I like how her matches the wheat in the background. Now that's my idea of "whole grain"!

There is absolutely nothing and no one human or animal remotely close to perfect I don't care what anyone thinks.

Perhaps one would understand that if they would get out of the house and go out into the world and see real humans in the flesh and real animals and real tangible items instead of looking at photos on the internet that have "possibly" been altered in some way by a computer program.

Old 04-04-2015, 03:13 PM

39,360 posts, read 14,435,507 times
People, please read the sticky threads before you start a new topic - and before you post at all, for that matter. Hot or not?-type threads are not permitted. Do not start any more similar threads.

Also, remember that you may not post copyrighted images. Another mod has deleted the image from the opening post.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty