U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 07:57 PM

2,367 posts, read 1,526,249 times

Advertisements

I should. :/

Most fashion savvy people will tell you to in order to get a proper fit. You will look and fell your best, but it needs to be done properly.

I wear a lot of sheath dresses - sleeveless. The armholes are always to big. The proper way to alter that is from the shoulder to bring the dress up to where it should be.

Im not very sewing friendly, and prices can get quite high for alterations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 06:07 PM

1,889 posts, read 6,992,142 times
I don't do it often but the last thing I had altered was a pair of jeans. Only 8 bucks to get it done. The inseam was way too long but I truly wanted the pair (it was a bargain).

Old 04-24-2015, 02:36 PM

10,577 posts, read 6,840,730 times
I'm 6'3" - I can almost never find business casual slacks in 36L. On the rare occasions that I do, they tend to be cheap and not up to the quality that I need for work. So I buy unhemmed slacks - usually at Men's Wearhouse, where it's convenient and though their prices aren't great, their customer service is always top notch - and have them tailored specifically to me (I usually just have this done at Men's Wearhouse, for a fee, again out of convenience).

Other than that, I buy off the rack. Everyday shirts are just fine off the rack in XL size (or the more specific sizing of dress shirts) or jeans (save for jeans, I don't buy everyday long pants) or shorts in either M or 34W.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:56 PM

34,662 posts, read 42,807,149 times
I actually bought 3 dresses recently. One fit fine, two of them needed alterations. One of those I'll probably return, but the other one was a good brand that was too big, and I easily was able to just adjust the darts and take in the side seams.

Old 04-25-2015, 10:19 PM

13,463 posts, read 15,072,372 times
I'm fat enough now I can generally get away with off the rack to some extent. The only thing I get tailored know is suits. Silver lining to everything, I guess.

Old 04-26-2015, 03:18 PM

492 posts, read 292,846 times
Seems like everything I buy needs alterations. Either letting out at the bust or taking in at the waist. I like my pants/ jeans a little long because I wear high heels, so I typically don't have to hem things.

I try to buy at stores that offer free alterations, like Nordstrom's. I sometimes will get alterations done at the dry cleaner bc they're inexpensive. The most sewing I can do is putting a button back on a shirt.

Old 04-26-2015, 03:28 PM

20,426 posts, read 35,777,368 times
The alteration I would need is to lengthen the pants several inches... and that is fairly impossible.
If they aren't right, I cannot buy them.

Old 04-27-2015, 03:46 AM

6,317 posts, read 4,449,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennethAuyeung View Post
I think i've never done that but i like wearing clothes with chil design. Some weed clothes are really great . I had great fun having those from the Highershop. marijuana tees are very elegant.
Lol! I'm pro-mj, but the clothing there might be literally the LEAST elegant clothes I've ever seen in my life! One shirt has "b*tch" written on it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty