U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-09-2015, 09:42 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh
21,472 posts, read 22,718,925 times
Reputation: 45163

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
The best option I can think of is to maybe just move somewhere that extends benefits to working women who do not have kids. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Have you looked into Planned Parenthood or another women's clinic in your area with sliding scale payments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-09-2015, 09:58 AM
 
4,279 posts, read 3,293,485 times
Reputation: 2874
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Have you looked into Planned Parenthood or another women's clinic in your area with sliding scale payments?
Yes, but chances are they would just put me back on birth control pills. I don't need them all of the time. Plus, they don't do anything for the hair, and they make me gain bulk around the mid-section. I looked like I was a few months pregnant the last time I got off of them.

Last edited by krmb; 04-09-2015 at 10:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2015, 10:04 AM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
10,864 posts, read 18,910,587 times
Reputation: 25118
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Yes, the last doctor I went to said I probably do have that. She put me on birth control pills for a year, and I took them, but it didn't help the hair growth.

I could go somewhere else and ask for more help, but again there's the matter of finding health insurance that will cover it. I actually do not qualify for the affordable healthcare plan; I tried to sign up; they said that I did not make enough money and am exempt from the penalty. Unfortunately, I'm also not eligible for Medicaid; the state only pays for children, mothers, and disabled citizens.

I probably do need to get some kind of healthcare plan, though, because this little problem can get out of hand. I lost so much iron from it last time that they had to give me blood; that is fortunately a very rare occurrence, but the bill for a hospital stay is definitely not fun when you have no insurance. The best option I can think of is to maybe just move somewhere that extends benefits to working women who do not have kids. Does anyone have any suggestions?
PCOS causes other problems than just hair growth, it can cause weight gain and infertility and insulin resistance. You should look for a community health clinic or call 211 to find out what's available in your area. Planned Parenthood would also be a good place to try.

You might try taking a saw palmetto supplement for your hair growth. Don't take it if there's any chance that you'll become pregnant while you're taking it though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2015, 10:13 AM
 
4,279 posts, read 3,293,485 times
Reputation: 2874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
You might try taking a saw palmetto supplement for your hair growth. Don't take it if there's any chance that you'll become pregnant while you're taking it though.
I don't think there's any chance of that happening in the near future. Where can I get it? What does it do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2015, 10:21 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh
21,472 posts, read 22,718,925 times
Reputation: 45163
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Yes, but chances are they would just put me back on birth control pills. I don't need them all of the time. Plus, they don't do anything for the hair, and they make me gain bulk around the mid-section. I looked like I was a few months pregnant the last time I got off of them.
Then that's what you tell your doctor and she'll present other options. They're not mind readers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2015, 10:43 AM
 
Location: The analog world
15,655 posts, read 8,764,064 times
Reputation: 20974
Aldactone is an option. It's used primarily as an anti-hypertensive, but it's also an effective androgen-blocker. That being said, you really need to work with an endocrinologist to get to the bottom of your hirsutism. It's a sign that something is amiss in your body, something that probably needs addressed in the interest of your long-term health.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2015, 11:01 AM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
10,864 posts, read 18,910,587 times
Reputation: 25118
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
I don't think there's any chance of that happening in the near future. Where can I get it? What does it do?
You can get saw palmetto at the grocery store or Walmart, in the vitamin aisle. It's usually used by men for prostate health, but can be taken by women also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2015, 09:00 PM
 
4,279 posts, read 3,293,485 times
Reputation: 2874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
You can get saw palmetto at the grocery store or Walmart, in the vitamin aisle. It's usually used by men for prostate health, but can be taken by women also.
Thank you. I think I will look it up. This really is an embarrassing problem. Well, I guess it would be embarrassing if I wasn't used to it and if I didn't have bigger health issues to worry about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2015, 12:16 AM
 
1,373 posts, read 1,263,058 times
Reputation: 4119
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
A one hour session didn't make a dent in my hair growth; it was so painful that the technician only got a hair every 5-10 minutes. She eventually stopped and offered to give me my money back. In addition to being excruciatingly painful, it was useless. I couldn't tell any difference, and it only removed a handful of hairs. I suppose it was educational, because I did learn what an intact follicle looked like, but I would have needed about 10 or more hours of treatment to make a good dent in it. The tech recommended I get laser hair removal, hormone therapy, and come back when the hair's not growing so thick.
1 hour sessions, once a week, for a year and a half, yes, my situation was much worse than yours. First few sessions were the worst, its just a mind over matter thing and you learn to let the pain wash over you without flinching. It was never easy or fun, and even with 4 wine coolers I also gripped squeeze balls the whole time and kept my hands underneath me so I would not hit her. Its all a matter of how bad do you want them gone?

Yes, you need to get serious with seeing a physician.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2015, 04:22 AM
 
4,279 posts, read 3,293,485 times
Reputation: 2874
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpme View Post
1 hour sessions, once a week, for a year and a half, yes, my situation was much worse than yours. First few sessions were the worst, its just a mind over matter thing and you learn to let the pain wash over you without flinching. It was never easy or fun, and even with 4 wine coolers I also gripped squeeze balls the whole time and kept my hands underneath me so I would not hit her. Its all a matter of how bad do you want them gone?

Yes, you need to get serious with seeing a physician.
I need to find a better job so I can afford good insurance.

Yeah, it does get annoying when the kids ask me stupid questions, like "were you a man once?"
"are you both?"
"did you once work for a circus?" (I would actually like to try this one.)
I treat the hair as well as I can and go on with my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top