Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 07:42 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times

Advertisements

Call your doctor and ask about Vaniqa cream. It will likely not be covered by insurance, but it's worth it. Combine with electrolysis for the best results.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 12:32 AM

1,371 posts, read 1,931,388 times
I don't remember brand name, but doc can give a prescription for a topical zylocaine lotion, maybe what previous poster was referring to. I found 4 wine coolers before a 1 hour session helped too. You have to learn to put your mind in a happy place, and learn not to flinch as the wave of pain flows through

Old 04-08-2015, 01:22 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,577,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpme View Post
I don't remember brand name, but doc can give a prescription for a topical zylocaine lotion, maybe what previous poster was referring to. I found 4 wine coolers before a 1 hour session helped too. You have to learn to put your mind in a happy place, and learn not to flinch as the wave of pain flows through
A one hour session didn't make a dent in my hair growth; it was so painful that the technician only got a hair every 5-10 minutes. She eventually stopped and offered to give me my money back. In addition to being excruciatingly painful, it was useless. I couldn't tell any difference, and it only removed a handful of hairs. I suppose it was educational, because I did learn what an intact follicle looked like, but I would have needed about 10 or more hours of treatment to make a good dent in it. The tech recommended I get laser hair removal, hormone therapy, and come back when the hair's not growing so thick.

Old 04-08-2015, 06:18 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
Vaniqa is a prescription cream that inhibits hair growth. It's applied twice a day, and after a few weeks, eliminates new hair growth. There are quite a few causes of hirsutism, though, and you really should consult with a doctor to get to the source of the issue.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:07 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
The tech recommended I get laser hair removal, hormone therapy, and come back when the hair's not growing so thick.
Have you talked to a doctor about a hormone imbalance? Most women have some facial hair, but if yours is unusually thick and coarse there might be a medical problem (and solution.)

Old 04-08-2015, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Have you talked to a doctor about a hormone imbalance? Most women have some facial hair, but if yours is unusually thick and coarse there might be a medical problem (and solution.)
This is an example of how thick it gets. That is my chin in the picture. It looks like I'm trying to grow a beard. I'm sure some men have an easier time managing facial hair than I do.
Attached Thumbnails
work, epilator!-chinhair.jpg  

Last edited by krmb; 04-08-2015 at 09:46 AM..

Old 04-09-2015, 08:23 AM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
This is an example of how thick it gets. That is my chin in the picture. It looks like I'm trying to grow a beard. I'm sure some men have an easier time managing facial hair than I do.

I strongly suggest that you speak with a physician, as your problem could well be the result of Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS), also known as Polycystic Ovarian Disorder (PCOD). While abnormal Hirsutism is the main symptom of this condition, there can be other negative effects, so it is not something that should be ignored. It is treatable.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I strongly suggest that you speak with a physician, as your problem could well be the result of Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS), also known as Polycystic Ovarian Disorder (PCOD). While abnormal Hirsutism is the main symptom of this condition, there can be other negative effects, so it is not something that should be ignored. It is treatable.

Yes, the last doctor I went to said I probably do have that. She put me on birth control pills for a year, and I took them, but it didn't help the hair growth.

I could go somewhere else and ask for more help, but again there's the matter of finding health insurance that will cover it. I actually do not qualify for the affordable healthcare plan; I tried to sign up; they said that I did not make enough money and am exempt from the penalty. Unfortunately, I'm also not eligible for Medicaid; the state only pays for children, mothers, and disabled citizens.

I probably do need to get some kind of healthcare plan, though, because this little problem can get out of hand. I lost so much iron from it last time that they had to give me blood; that is fortunately a very rare occurrence, but the bill for a hospital stay is definitely not fun when you have no insurance. The best option I can think of is to maybe just move somewhere that extends benefits to working women who do not have kids. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited by krmb; 04-09-2015 at 09:27 AM..

Old 04-09-2015, 09:25 AM

3,138 posts, read 2,778,414 times
What's facial hair regrowth like after using threading?

DOes it grow back just as fast with shaving or tweezing?

I hate facial hair .

Old 04-09-2015, 09:25 AM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Yes, the last doctor I went to said I probably did have that. She put me on birth control pills for a year, and I took them, but it didn't help the hair growth.

I could go somewhere else and ask for more help, but again there's the matter of finding health insurance that will cover cosmetic procedures. I actually do not qualify for the affordable healthcare plan; I tried to sign up; they said that I did not make enough money and am exempt from the penalty. Unfortunately, I'm also not eligible for Medicaid.
However, PCOS/PCOD is more than just a cosmetic problem.
It is an ovary-centered physical problem that should be covered by health insurance, and just because one doctor's approach to treatment didn't work, that doesn't mean that a more capable physician wouldn't be able to resolve the problem for you.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty