U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 01:04 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,161,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
A young mother will spend the rest of her life in a wheelchair after catching a serious infection from using her best friend's make up brush on a pimple.
Jo Gilchrist, 27, was left writhing in pain on Valentine's Day when a staph infection invaded her body and eventually attacked her spine.
She has been in Brisbane's Princess Alexandra Hospital ever since and doctors are still desperately trying to rid her body of the bacteria.
[LEFT]
'It started as a little ache in my back and I thought it was my bad posture, but it kept getting worse and worse,' Ms Gilchrist told Daily Mail Australia.
'I was in incredible pain and nothing would work. I honestly thought I was going to die - the pain was worse than childbirth.'
The mother of one says it took doctors a long time to work out what was wrong and her body started to go numb and she lost feeling in her legs.
'They said (the numbness) would go all the way up my arms and into my chest and when that happened I'd have to be put in an induced coma and learn to breathe again,' she said.
Ms Gilchrist was airlifted from her country hometown of Warwick to Brisbane where she underwent emergency surgery.
[/LEFT]
Mum left in wheelchair after catching infection from makeup brush | Daily Mail Online

More at link.

I thought about putting this in current events, but due to it being about the potential dangers of cosmetics and using others I would put it here.

I realize this kind of thing is obviously very rare, but the fact is this wouldn't have happened if women didn't feel they have to hide "imperfections" and there weren't harmful chemicals in them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 01:16 PM

11,686 posts, read 13,078,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
Mum left in wheelchair after catching infection from makeup brush | Daily Mail Online

More at link.

I thought about putting this in current events, but due to it being about the potential dangers of cosmetics and using others I would put it here.

I realize this kind of thing is obviously very rare, but the fact is this wouldn't have happened if women didn't feel they have to hide "imperfections" and there weren't harmful chemicals in them.
She has a staph infection. The article does not even imply that "harmful chemicals" in makeup had anything to do with her condition.

It was contracted from sharing a makeup brush with an infected person according to the Mail.

Old 04-06-2015, 01:18 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,871,379 times
Quote:

More at link.

Never knew bacteria were chemicals. Science is crazy.

Old 04-06-2015, 01:24 PM

16,724 posts, read 13,670,338 times
Why in the world would you use someone else's makeup brush? Especially after you knew they had a staph infection, which are highly contagious?!

Old 04-06-2015, 01:28 PM

5,574 posts, read 5,535,320 times
Quote:
Or if they just didn't share makeup and brushes. There's nothing wrong with wearing makeup.

Old 04-06-2015, 01:33 PM

20,426 posts, read 35,707,564 times
Quote:

Chemicals, harmful or not, had absolutely nothing to do with this.
Why even say that?

The story is about sharing something that belongs to an infected person... not about chemicals.

Old 04-06-2015, 01:35 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,257,025 times
Thanks for sharing because that is very real danger that many of us face. Most people just randomly walk around grabbing makeup brushes not knowing they are playing Russian roulette with their lives......

Old 04-06-2015, 04:18 PM

72,671 posts, read 64,140,481 times
The moral of the story is that staph is highly communicable and debilitating, even potentially fatal, if complications ensue. It's not an anti-makeup article. It's about the staph bacterium MRSA, which is resistant to anti-biotics. Hospitals are finding it very hard to control. it's important to have some awareness of the seriousness of this scourge. If you think the article is about makeup, you're really missing the point. With something this serious, it's best not to mislead people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methici...ococcus_aureus.

To prevent MRSA infection, individuals should regularly wash hands using soap and water or an alcohol-based sanitizer, keep wounds clean and covered, avoid contact with other people's wounds, avoid sharing personal items such as razors or towels, shower after exercising at athletic facilities (including gyms, weight rooms, and school facilities), shower before using swimming pools or whirlpools, and maintain a clean environment.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 04-06-2015 at 04:31 PM..

Old 04-06-2015, 05:25 PM

3,290 posts, read 2,180,354 times
Hmmmm.....it would never occur to me to use someone else's make up brush whether they had an infection or not. To me it would be like using someone's toothbrush or lipstick.

Old 04-06-2015, 10:08 PM

96 posts, read 57,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
Hmmmm.....it would never occur to me to use someone else's make up brush whether they had an infection or not. To me it would be like using someone's toothbrush or lipstick.
Exactly - or washcloth, bath towel, nail clippers, etc.

Shocking how some can get lazy or sloppy with their grooming habits. Gross - now I need a shower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty