U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 07:18 AM

364 posts, read 107,325 times

Advertisements

Almost all of my clothes are secondhand. It doesn't bother me. I've gotten tons of compliments about my outfits too.

I've never had any issues with hygiene. Most of my family as well as friends also buy and wear secondhand clothing and none of us have ever been "contaminated". Golly. Maybe rich people can afford to turn their nose up at secondhand clothing but some of us live on limited budgets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2018, 07:42 AM

10,894 posts, read 19,348,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Well, if you wash a NEW top from Macy's, or Dillards, it's very likely it will be ruined and you will miss the entire value of that top, with the first washing.

If I buy clothing new, there is absolutely no way I'm going to wash it before wearing it, because the value of the top has depreciated about 75% with the first washing.
That's ridiculous - it's not like a new car that is devalued as soon as you drive it off the lot. If you would see what happens in the stockrooms, fitting rooms, etc. w/new clothing - you would wash it before wearing it. To say nothing of all the chemicals used in the manufacturer and sale of clothing.

Old 11-21-2018, 08:43 AM
Status: "calm and serene and planning nothing" (set 10 days ago)

13,347 posts, read 17,935,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
That's ridiculous - it's not like a new car that is devalued as soon as you drive it off the lot. If you would see what happens in the stockrooms, fitting rooms, etc. w/new clothing - you would wash it before wearing it. To say nothing of all the chemicals used in the manufacturer and sale of clothing.

yes indeed wash it . I had a friend who bought a new bra and she did not wash it first and she broke out in horrible pus filled hives . seems she was allergic to some of the chemicals used in it . She had to go to her dr who referred her to a dermatologist . So that 25 .00 dollar bra she did not wash cost her over 300 dollars . I will always wash clothing new and everything in between , I cant believe people would wear clothing without washing it first yuck !!!!

Old 11-21-2018, 09:01 AM

4,425 posts, read 1,862,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Apparently, this person does:

Although I completely disagree with them on the "new" clothes issues, he/she meant they wash underwear the first time (and after) vs. the cheap "throwaway" clothes that get worn immediately. It was in another post, I believe.

Or the OP just doesn't wash undergarments yet complains about used clothes.

Old 11-21-2018, 05:00 PM

4,688 posts, read 7,668,663 times
Quote:
So, after that first washing, you just keep wearing your underwear without washing it?
Oh come on, I didn't think I had to say that any simpler! I'm saying that underwear is the only TYPE of garments that I wash 1st right after buying it NEW & then of course wash after each use of a 24-hour period. So to break it down even simpler for you, that means if I buy any of these types of garments, for example, then I don't wash them after buying them NEW:

- NEW shirts/tops = no
- NEW pants/jeans = no
- NEW socks = no
- NEW dress = no
- NEW skirt = no
- NEW wedding dress = no
- NEW overalls = no
- NEW hat - no
- NEW hosiery = no (because it's packaged up new)

Now, NEW underwear = YES & of course I wash them after EACH wear of a 24-hr period.

I hope all of the above was simple enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Well, if you wash a NEW top from Macy's, or Dillards, it's very likely it will be ruined and you will miss the entire value of that top, with the first washing.

If I buy clothing new, there is absolutely no way I'm going to wash it before wearing it, because the value of the top has depreciated about 75% with the first washing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Although I completely disagree with them on the "new" clothes issues, he/she meant they wash underwear the first time (and after) vs. the cheap "throwaway" clothes that get worn immediately. It was in another post, I believe...
Exactly you two! Glad someone understands!

Old 11-21-2018, 05:10 PM

10,894 posts, read 19,348,583 times
Diff. strokes for diff. folks

Old 11-22-2018, 01:17 PM

13,778 posts, read 16,378,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Now, NEW underwear = YES & of course I wash them after EACH wear of a 24-hr period.
Well, that's a relief for me, and especially for those with whom you associate.

Old 11-22-2018, 03:18 PM

52,381 posts, read 51,494,178 times
Quote:
Apparently, this person does:

Behave, Retriever, you know it was a misplaced "only"!

"I only wash underwear before I wear it for the 1st time."

"I wash only underwear before I wear it for the 1st time."

Old 11-22-2018, 04:04 PM

13,778 posts, read 16,378,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Behave, Retriever, you know it was a misplaced "only"!

"I only wash underwear before I wear it for the 1st time."

"I wash only underwear before I wear it for the 1st time."
I only know what I read in the newspapers.
Will Rogers

Old 11-22-2018, 04:16 PM

2,580 posts, read 4,532,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Socks? People inherit socks?

I donate a lot of clothing, but never socks or underwear. I would never buy used socks or underwear either. That's just me, though.
I have a friend who is beyond frugal, who once told me, "I only buy three things new: Food, beer, and underwear."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or