U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 11-25-2018, 08:59 PM
 
Location: Washington, DC & New York
10,783 posts, read 25,790,554 times
Reputation: 6777

Advertisements

Cleaning is a must for me with clothing, and while I do buy most of my clothes new, there are some vintage pieces that I do own. And, I have some vintage pieces that I do continue to seek, including some that are no longer in the business. Some of my vintage ties tend to be those for which I receive the most compliments, including some of the older Hermes patterns and vintage ties from the sadly defunct Sulka. So, new or vintage, it's the quality of the garment that matters to me.

I generally take clothes to the dry cleaner and find that they are as new when they have not yet been worn, not significantly changed, save for no tags or pins present. Well, that's for shirts on the hanger, since in the box, there are some clips or pins with which to contend, but other clothes are indistinguishable from the moment I purchased them.
__________________
All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players: they have their exits and their entrances; and one man in his time plays many parts, his acts being seven ages.
~William Shakespeare
(As You Like It Act II, Scene VII)

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-25-2018, 09:34 PM
 
3,400 posts, read 1,607,374 times
Reputation: 10228
In that I buy most of my stuff used, I'm sure there have been clothing or jewelry once owned by a now-deceased person. When I buy and receive an item, I typically take it to the dry-cleaners.

I sort of like carrying on another person's passion or taste.

Doesn't matter to me one bit.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2018, 09:35 PM
 
3,400 posts, read 1,607,374 times
Reputation: 10228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I work in a thrift store. You would be amazed at how often new clothing is donated. We're a local charity, and very well supported by the community because the donations are used to support families in our area. I still buy things like underwear and shoes at retail, and most of my pants because I'm tall. But I can't remember the last time I paid full price for a dress or a top. The dirty or damaged stuff never hits the sales floor, it's recycled.
Most of the items I purchase on shopgoodwill are new, with tags NWT....
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2018, 10:56 PM
 
Location: Southwest Washington State
19,681 posts, read 12,969,542 times
Reputation: 25943
I think I am on record as washing everything I buy used. I tend to wash woolens as well as cottons. I like to keep dry cleaning bills to a minimum.

Tonight I am wearing a beautiful yellow wool cardigan, with a Talbots label, which I found at the GW. The label said to dry clean, but I washed it and dried it flat. The color became clearer and the sweater looked happy, and soft, and it did not shrink.

This has probably been my very best find.

If you do not have the patience to look through racks of old clothes, looking for something you can wear, then I think thrift shopping is not for you. If you don't mind and you even enjoy the thrill of the hunt, then it is probably something you would enjoy. I don't go more than once every 2 weeks, if that, myself. But I often do find one or two things to supplement my wardrobe. And I've learned a lot about how different brands fit.

I go by a couple of rules. I won't buy a coat, because I can afford to buy coats, but someone else might not be able to. So, I leave them alone. I only buy quality brands. I only buy things I can wear now or this year.

And, I have from time to time, bought things for my home. I found a pair of Baldwin brass candlesticks once! And, a small teapot. And, a few other things.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2018, 11:48 PM
 
7,469 posts, read 2,933,788 times
Reputation: 19805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
That's ridiculous - it's not like a new car that is devalued as soon as you drive it off the lot. If you would see what happens in the stockrooms, fitting rooms, etc. w/new clothing - you would wash it before wearing it. To say nothing of all the chemicals used in the manufacturer and sale of clothing.
You completely misunderstood my post. It's not like clothing devalues for some mysterious reason once "driven off the lot" as you say. Often, clothing washed the first time completely loses it's shape and value - and anyone, at first glance, can see it doesn't look nice.

It's not on bit like a car driven off the lot for the first time that mysteriously loses it's value.

The clothing I've bought high end retail new, many times is like a car driven off the lot that gets in a serious wreck on its first outing. Because the "car" (item of clothing) in fact wasn't designed to survive its first washing.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2018, 10:02 AM
 
Location: Minnesota
174 posts, read 30,958 times
Reputation: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I work in a thrift store. You would be amazed at how often new clothing is donated. We're a local charity, and very well supported by the community because the donations are used to support families in our area. I still buy things like underwear and shoes at retail, and most of my pants because I'm tall. But I can't remember the last time I paid full price for a dress or a top. The dirty or damaged stuff never hits the sales floor, it's recycled.

I bought a brand new hoodie with the original price tag of $55 still attached for $5.99 just last week.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2018, 10:07 AM
 
Location: Minnesota
174 posts, read 30,958 times
Reputation: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
as do I, but it appears that some people only wash their underwear prior to the first wearing, and then just keep wearing it, sans laundering. I can't understand that type of inattention to hygiene, but guess that I can add that behavior to the growing list of things that I no longer understand.
I'm pretty sure that was a mistake on what she meant to say because it doesn't even make sense in the context of what she was replying to. I'm guessing she meant to say she "even" washed underwear prior to wearing it the first time not "only" since we were talking about new clothes being just as "dirty" as thrifted ones.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2018, 07:07 AM
 
Location: SW Florida
9,361 posts, read 4,162,082 times
Reputation: 19500
I always wash jeans before I wear them. Many of the labels actually recommend you do so and some even say it's possible the color could rub off onto a light colored couch for instance. I also wash underwear but I haven't done so with a new bra but I might after reading some of these posts.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2018, 08:37 PM
 
Location: Upstate NY
31,842 posts, read 9,459,392 times
Reputation: 30174
I still don't get the significance of referring to these garments as "deceased people's clothing."

They weren't worn by "deceased people," for heaven's sake. The only difference is that someone else is making the donation lol.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2018, 09:21 PM
 
5,773 posts, read 4,642,662 times
Reputation: 4223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
No, it doesn't bother me. Why would it? The clothes are clean. They aren't covered in dead-drippings, or whatever you're imagining.
dead-drippings.

Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top