U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 01:53 PM

4,719 posts, read 1,639,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSaturn View Post
I love to shop for clothing in thrift stores. The thought that someone else wore the items before I purchased them doesn't bother me in the least. There are several such stores in my town, including Goodwill and various churches' resale shops. There's also one upscale resale shop that carries only high-end clothing. In every one of these stores, the clothes have been cleaned before being put out for sale.

I've gotten some fantastic deals at thrift stores. The first time I ever had a real wool coat I purchased it at a church resale shop. In a department store it would have been way out of my price range. It was like new; lining and all in perfect condition. I wore the coat for several years before donating it to another resale shop, still in very good condition.

I've also purchased used jeans, skirts, shirts, blouses and business suits at resale shops. I even found a pair of like-new Nike athletic shoes several months ago in a church resale shop. They fit me perfectly and only cost me four bucks!

Actually, Goodwill does not wash the clothing they sell. They do, however, ask that donations be clean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2018, 01:57 PM

16,267 posts, read 20,365,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSaturn View Post
I love to shop for clothing in thrift stores. The thought that someone else wore the items before I purchased them doesn't bother me in the least. There are several such stores in my town, including Goodwill and various churches' resale shops. There's also one upscale resale shop that carries only high-end clothing. In every one of these stores, the clothes have been cleaned before being put out for sale.

I've gotten some fantastic deals at thrift stores. The first time I ever had a real wool coat I purchased it at a church resale shop. In a department store it would have been way out of my price range. It was like new; lining and all in perfect condition. I wore the coat for several years before donating it to another resale shop, still in very good condition.

I've also purchased used jeans, skirts, shirts, blouses and business suits at resale shops. I even found a pair of like-new Nike athletic shoes several months ago in a church resale shop. They fit me perfectly and only cost me four bucks!

I was just at the local Goodwill, today is senior day.

Bought 11 cd's, spent $20.

Magical Mystery Tour-Beatles
2nd lp by Deodato
On The Border-Eagles
Greatest Hits- Bobby Darin
Tapestry- Carole King
Anthology on the Blue Note Label- Lou Rawls
Live At Carnegie Hall-Carole King
An Hour Of Berlin--Irving Berlin
Clap Hands here Comes Charlie- Ella Fitzgerald
Stardust- Willie Nelson

Tunes forever!

What was the big surprise was couple of plaid long sleeve Pendleton shorts, first time in a couple decades I bought shirts at a second hand store. Why? 6ft. 6 in. and 263 pounds is why. Paying premium for clothes is what I do, I don't know what I saved money wise but I did a happy dance when I got home!

Old 12-19-2018, 01:59 PM

5,883 posts, read 3,304,495 times
Yup... you can get some great deals on the bullet hole/tire thread rack.

Old 12-19-2018, 02:51 PM

1,737 posts, read 649,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
You completely misunderstood my post. It's not like clothing devalues for some mysterious reason once "driven off the lot" as you say. Often, clothing washed the first time completely loses it's shape and value - and anyone, at first glance, can see it doesn't look nice.

It's not on bit like a car driven off the lot for the first time that mysteriously loses it's value.

The clothing I've bought high end retail new, many times is like a car driven off the lot that gets in a serious wreck on its first outing. Because the "car" (item of clothing) in fact wasn't designed to survive its first washing.
If you're buying clothing that looks bad after the first washing you are either buying really cheap clothing or are rich enough to consider getting rid of clothes because you consider them worn out after one washing.

Old 12-20-2018, 01:12 PM

1,249 posts, read 988,600 times
I've been thrift shopping since the 70's, when my mom used to buy our clothing from various 2nd hand shops in the neighborhood. I've never even thought of this scenario until I read the title lol

Back then, the pickings were much less, as clothing was basically built to last much longer, and clothing was kept in the family and mended time and again. Also, a lot of clothes were made at home.

I love the current pickings though. In today's disposable society, there are genuine well-made quality clothes available, some with tags still attached available for a lot less than retail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or