U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 01:34 AM

6,527 posts, read 2,266,966 times

Advertisements

I think this worry stems from an urban myth about a girl that bought a prom dress at a vintage store and then later died because the dress was stolen off of a recently deceased woman that was embalmed. Somehow the dress absorbed the embalming fluid from the dead woman and when the young girl that bought the dress wore it to the prom and was dancing the night away she also was sweating and absorbing the formaldehyde. She died from formaldehyde poisoning, but it's an urban myth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 02:13 AM

9,610 posts, read 13,472,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
I wouldn't need them where I'm going.
Sorry, just had a sudden visual of a bunch of naked people on their way up (or down, as the case may be)

Old 04-09-2015, 03:15 AM

6,317 posts, read 4,488,484 times
If i was like in the second grade it *might* bother me.

But probably not because my great gramps died that year and I slept in the bed he died in so.....

Old 04-09-2015, 03:43 AM

11,750 posts, read 13,203,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post
I think a lot of the clothing found in thrift shops , especially vintage clothing is probably deceased people's clothing, unless it's something current manufacter thats been worn a few times and donated recently.

most people donate deceased person's clothing after a death in the family

so the clothing your wearing could be a dead man's clothes / dead lady clothes

does it bother you?
Not in the slightest.

Old 04-09-2015, 03:52 AM

299 posts, read 188,316 times
We helped a woman get rid of 100 bags of clothing her elderly mother had accumulated before she died. It took quite awhile, but we were able to harvest about 60 bags worth. The clothing, shoes, etc. that were in poor shape were tossed out, or recycled (the fabric used another way). The clothing and shoes in good condition were cleaned up and given to the poor in town and even across the world (a mission)! We were thrilled for the opportunity, and know that a lot of ladies were grateful to get blouses, skirts, sweaters and sweatshirts, shoes, etc.

Old 04-09-2015, 05:36 AM

2,367 posts, read 1,538,911 times
I did as a child, and, until this thread - my mind never even went there.

I guess if you are sensitive enough psychicly to pick up on any residual left over from that life - it could be a problem. If not, someone is over-thinking something.

A close family friend recently died. Her daughter could not bring herself to throw away her mother's clothes. It was much more comforting to her to think they would go on to live again in the closet of someone who truely needed them. She donated them to a church that provides such a service to the needy free of charge.

Old 04-09-2015, 05:52 AM

3,330 posts, read 1,998,923 times
My friends mom passed away and she gave me a few things that were very nice. ..plus I wore my own mom's clothes.she had some cute boutique tops that are still in style....doesn't bother me in the least....

Old 04-09-2015, 05:56 AM

12,992 posts, read 10,909,453 times
I do wash everything.
The people weren't dead when they were wearing the clothes, afterall.

Old 04-09-2015, 06:24 AM

1,941 posts, read 1,152,252 times
Some of the clothes at the thrift stores, are new. When the retail stores can't sell some of the merchandise, they donate the stuff to the thrift stores............ I am still wearing jeans I bought for 3 bucks, that are, well, still in pretty good shape. (That's after a few years and many washings, they are "faded glory.")

So yes, I love to shop the thrift shops! Shoes, not so much. Lots of neat shirts and jeans and dresses to be found! Just wash the clothes and there you have it...garage sales, too. I found a really pretty suit at a garage sale; whew for 2 bucks.

Old 04-09-2015, 07:34 AM

24,043 posts, read 31,335,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post
I think a lot of the clothing found in thrift shops , especially vintage clothing is probably deceased people's clothing, unless it's something current manufacter thats been worn a few times and donated recently.

most people donate deceased person's clothing after a death in the family

so the clothing your wearing could be a dead man's clothes / dead lady clothes

does it bother you? I remember as a kid going into Salvation Army it use to smell so bad I use to gag from the smell of the old clothing and old shoes.
I've never heard anyone, ever, voice such a concern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or