U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 10:47 AM

3,230 posts, read 2,850,092 times

Advertisements

Wouldn't bother me.

I'm a crafter. I've bought a few things that were so vintage, I felt the original owner had probably passed on and would be happy that someone else loved what they had loved.

Do you like antiques? Depending on the object, the original owner has to be dead for it to be old enough to be an antique.

In a college science class, we had a word problem where someone famous like Shakespeare had died. We were to figure out how many molecules of his last breath of air were in the classroom assuming the Earth was a closed system and the air was homogenous. I think we came up with 5-8 molecules of his used air depending upon the assumptions we used. Yep. Even our last breath of air gets recycled and someone else gets to breathe it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 10:58 AM

399 posts, read 251,140 times
I refuse to buy any clothing with bullet holes... other than that, I'm good.

Old 04-09-2015, 03:17 PM

5,478 posts, read 4,627,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Without even getting into the issue of whether used clothing came from a dead person or a live person, let me share the experiences of a particularly-cheap friend of mine.

In addition to buying all of his clothing from thrift stores, he finally decided that he should also buy his shoes from thrift stores. Because shoes begin to conform to the specific shape of a person's foot after a few weeks, he was purchasing shoes that had taken on the conformation of other people's feet, and as a result, none of them ever fits properly. Once shoes have been worn for the first few weeks, they take on a particular form and that form will not be altered by the feet of the next owner, whose feet are different from those of the first owner of the shoes.

So, after his new cheaping-out routine with shoes, he has had to constantly swath his toes with band-aids and corn pads, simply because his "bargain" shoes never fit him properly. However, that is not the worst part. Because you are also winding up with the particular fungal colonies that were characteristic of the previous owner's feet, you are potentially exposing yourself to...God only knows what...various types of foot fungus. As soon as his doctor thinks that he has conquered the latest fungal infection, then--sure enough--my cheap friend buys another pair of old shoes and winds up a few weeks later with yet another outbreak of foot fungus.

I have tried to explain to him that his "bargain" shoes are not much of a bargain in light of the need to constantly buy band-aids, corn pads, and other types of aids. Then, when you factor in the cost of his MD visits and the cost of the Rx meds that he needs to take for his varied, ongoing foot fungus problems, he is undoubtedly spending far more than he would if he simply bought NEW shoes. However, he can't seem to see the forest for the trees, and he just keeps getting lured-in by the siren song of those $5.00 shoes.

All-in-all, very sad, IMHO.

I'd never buy used shoes. Even as a kid, my parents wouldn't hand them down. Feet are too important to risk problems from ill-fitting shoes.

Old 04-09-2015, 05:30 PM

2,223 posts, read 1,543,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedjim View Post
I refuse to buy any clothing with bullet holes... other than that, I'm good.
You do realize that statistically, the chance of ever getting hit by another bullet while wearing that piece of clothing pretty much makes you bulletproof ?

Old 04-09-2015, 05:42 PM

13,658 posts, read 16,241,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I'd never buy used shoes.
Nor would I, but my ultra-cheap friend--who can well afford to spend the money for new shoes and clothing--has some sort of psychological issue with spending money beyond a few cents--for anything. As another example of how he shoots himself in the foot with his penurious ways, he washes his dishes in cold water, and then wonders why his sink drain is so frequently clogged with accumulated, hardened grease.

And, he wonders why nobody will accept his invitations to dine at his house.

Old 04-09-2015, 05:50 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,506,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickofdiamonds View Post
you do realize that statistically, the chance of ever getting hit by another bullet while wearing that piece of clothing pretty much makes you bulletproof ?
omg...lol!!!!!!!:d

Old 04-09-2015, 07:02 PM

2,298 posts, read 1,694,031 times
I can usually find cheap clothes on sale or clearance at stores so I dont buy used clothing much. I have from garage sale though if it looks fairly new and clean.

Old 04-09-2015, 07:26 PM

1,882 posts, read 2,739,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post
I think a lot of the clothing found in thrift shops , especially vintage clothing is probably deceased people's clothing, unless it's something current manufacter thats been worn a few times and donated recently.

most people donate deceased person's clothing after a death in the family

so the clothing your wearing could be a dead man's clothes / dead lady clothes

does it bother you? I remember as a kid going into Salvation Army it use to smell so bad I use to gag from the smell of the old clothing and old shoes.
Is this real?

Did you grow up with servants?

Everything I own, apart from shoes, and undies, is bought from thrift stores. Did you ever buy a used car (probably not) and wonder at its provenance?

I don't know why you gagged but in all of my 30 years of shopping at thrift stores I have never gagged at the smell. I do not understand what that even means. If the smell of old clothes makes you nauseous I cannot believe that you have ever had a child, a pet, or cleaned any thing in your life.

I mean, that's a very neurotic way to spend one's time.

Do you believe they also sell fleas at flea markets?

They DO NOT.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:14 PM

24,043 posts, read 31,335,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
Is this real?

Did you grow up with servants?

Everything I own, apart from shoes, and undies, is bought from thrift stores. Did you ever buy a used car (probably not) and wonder at its provenance?

I don't know why you gagged but in all of my 30 years of shopping at thrift stores I have never gagged at the smell. I do not understand what that even means. If the smell of old clothes makes you nauseous I cannot believe that you have ever had a child, a pet, or cleaned any thing in your life.

I mean, that's a very neurotic way to spend one's time.

Do you believe they also sell fleas at flea markets?

They DO NOT.
Yeah that was pretty much my response at the OP. I've been in tons of thrift stores (my BF enjoys going through them, he used to buy all his work shorts and t-shirts that way) but I have never smelled any "odor". I can't imagine what sort of smell the OP is talking about.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:21 PM

399 posts, read 251,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickofDiamonds View Post
You do realize that statistically, the chance of ever getting hit by another bullet while wearing that piece of clothing pretty much makes you bulletproof ?
You SIR are a genius! I'm already bullet-proof, I'm on the interweb!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or