U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 09:08 AM

41,505 posts, read 50,102,215 times

Advertisements

I have a couple of good wool jackets that were owned by a deceased friend. I wear them as a tribute and because they are really good and almost new jackets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 09:17 AM

780 posts, read 475,784 times
I have never thought of it that way.

There are clothes that I buy that still has tags on them, so doesn't matter to me.

The ones without tags that I purchase, I check the label, threading, material....little details that shows a great amount of "wear and tear". Sometimes clothes that doesn't have a tag was probably worn just once...meh.

Deal is a deal

Old 04-10-2015, 09:21 AM

2,286 posts, read 2,530,000 times
Plenty of clothing that ends up in thrift stores comes from the living. I have found some great buys at thrift and consignment stores and donate clothes when I can. I do draw the line at shoes, I'm kinda fussy about what I put on my feet.

Since I've lost 25lbs recently I have 2 big bags of big girls clothes that are about to head off to the thrift stores and some handbags that are going for consignment.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:43 AM

19,189 posts, read 14,352,887 times
We have lived in older houses where I am sure that people have died and even been on display in the oldest of them so the thought of whether a piece of used clothing used to belong to someone that died seems very minor to us.

How many people consider such items of the dearly departed to be anything but precious. Relatives fight over possessions of people that have died. I don't think whether they were a relative matters as something that belonged to someone that is now dead, well............. Love thrift shops and have since I was a child. Such a delightful mix of goods! Most older people that I have known just hope that their things will be used by someone knowing the alternative is that it ends up in a box on the alley waiting for the trash truck.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:32 AM

3,838 posts, read 6,683,780 times
There's nothing like vintage jeans and only one way to get them! Thrift or vintage store.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:49 AM

3,667 posts, read 3,646,714 times
Try going to some estate sales in Washington, DC in places like Georgetown or in neighborhoods along the Patomac and then tell you me you wouldn't buy what they're selling for basically 95% off. You can get clothing and furniture from super, super high end designers. Hermes bag for $100 ?

Old 04-10-2015, 10:51 AM

1,069 posts, read 826,774 times
I only buy used clothing, it's all I can afford.

Old 04-10-2015, 11:06 AM

9,536 posts, read 15,257,657 times
I wonder why the OP is adverse to the idea of wearing "dead people's clothing"?

Is it just the general idea, or is he concerned about picking up something contagious?

I doubt you could catch something from a deceased's clothing, unless it was a highly contagious disease, like Ebola, and the deceased had been recently wearing it. I've often wonder, though, about those "thrill seekers" who like to go poking around in old TB sanatoriums. The buildings are totting, damp, not ventilated, makes you wonder if the TB virus could still be harbored in those walls?

Old 04-10-2015, 11:37 AM

1,992 posts, read 1,172,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Nor would I, but my ultra-cheap friend--who can well afford to spend the money for new shoes and clothing--has some sort of psychological issue with spending money beyond a few cents--for anything. As another example of how he shoots himself in the foot with his penurious ways, he washes his dishes in cold water, and then wonders why his sink drain is so frequently clogged with accumulated, hardened grease.

And, he wonders why nobody will accept his invitations to dine at his house.

Maybe, there is a method to his madness. Does he really want company? Most misers I have known are loners, too. I am living in a house that misers built. Most everything they replaced was some junky used item; garbage disposal, sinks, stove..you name it. Stupid of me not to notice all this junk before we took on the place. (they had the money to get better, and new stuff. Guess, that's why they had so much money?)

Old 04-10-2015, 02:32 PM

9,353 posts, read 18,189,303 times
I suppose the alternate question would be: "do you ever buy clothing at inflated retail prices just to say it's "new"?" Considering the chemicals sometimes used in manufacture, it might be healthier to wear used clothes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or