Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 05:59 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,948,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
Dead or alive--I can't do used clothing. It has cooties I am not a huge germaphobic by any means, there are some things I just cannot do and this is one of them.
All the laundering in the world can't get the cooties out.
I absolutely wouldn't buy used shoes or underwear, & I have to admit I would have to really find some fantastic/rare clothing to buy it. There is an annual charity sale that goes on here in one of the most affluent neighborhoods in the country. You can supposedly buy designer goods (real haute couture goods!)for a pittance--one of these days I'd like to check it out.

The few times I've gone into a thrift store the odor has made me gag .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2016, 09:34 PM

645 posts, read 750,033 times
I don't think needy people see it that way....its a blessing to give clothing you don't need anymore to someone that needs it whether its from a deceased person or not im sure they appreciate it...

Old 04-02-2016, 09:51 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,364,292 times
I probably did in my university days when I was buying the occasional thing at thrift stores. Didn't give it a second thought then, though.

Old 04-04-2016, 01:50 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I've never thought about it. If you buy anything used (car, house, furniture) it's possible that the person who used to own it is dead.
Someone did die (of natural causes) in my house. Didn't stop me from buying it. Wouldn't stop me from buying a piece of clothing either if I liked the item.

Old 04-04-2016, 03:37 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,719,822 times
Default Why lol?

Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post
I think a lot of the clothing found in thrift shops , especially vintage clothing is probably deceased people's clothing, unless it's something current manufacter thats been worn a few times and donated recently.

most people donate deceased person's clothing after a death in the family

so the clothing your wearing could be a dead man's clothes / dead lady clothes

does it bother you? I remember as a kid going into Salvation Army it use to smell so bad I use to gag from the smell of the old clothing and old shoes.
It is not like they are going to need it ! I totally would and do get second hand stuff at times for fun. It can add a lot of interest to your outfits. Also sometimes you just want a statement piece and want to standout (in a good way) from the same cookie cutter look everyone else is wearing. I have gotten all kinds of fun stuff that I mix and match with new stuff. Like this full length red leather jacket I got in University. It was wicked, got lots of complements and NO one else had one or could rip off my look because there were not shelves of the same items waiting to be bought !

I did watch a show on the dybbuk box, haunter collector and the conjuring so if I am thinking of buying something I avoid anything that seems of have a negative ora . I am also not talking about ratty stuff. I am talking higher end second hand stuff. If you know how to tell this stuff apart thift shopping can be fun and add a lot of character to your closet.

I lady I know found a real Channel bag at a yard sale! I do not care if someone died holding a Channel bag ... I would still buy it. After all I might benefit from being haunted by something with great taste !

Oh yeah this is also a really environmentally conscious practice.

Old 04-05-2016, 01:57 AM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
No, it doesn't bother me. Why would it? The clothes are clean. They aren't covered in dead-drippings, or whatever you're imagining.
Oh my God. Dead drippings. Oh goodness, wiping eyes.

Old 04-05-2016, 02:18 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
It is not like they are going to need it ! I totally would and do get second hand stuff at times for fun. It can add a lot of interest to your outfits. Also sometimes you just want a statement piece and want to standout (in a good way) from the same cookie cutter look everyone else is wearing. I have gotten all kinds of fun stuff that I mix and match with new stuff. Like this full length red leather jacket I got in University. It was wicked, got lots of complements and NO one else had one or could rip off my look because there were not shelves of the same items waiting to be bought !

I did watch a show on the dybbuk box, haunter collector and the conjuring so if I am thinking of buying something I avoid anything that seems of have a negative ora . I am also not talking about ratty stuff. I am talking higher end second hand stuff. If you know how to tell this stuff apart thift shopping can be fun and add a lot of character to your closet.

I lady I know found a real Channel bag at a yard sale! I do not care if someone died holding a Channel bag ... I would still buy it. After all I might benefit from being haunted by something with great taste !

Oh yeah this is also a really environmentally conscious practice.
A few years ago when I lived in California, I bought my heavy wool, black double buttoned p coat style winter coat for fifteen dollars. It was made in Germany by a premium company. It would have been twenty but they had everything 25 % off.

I've been looking at wool coat prices. These coats can sell for over 200 dollars if you want all wool. I think that bargain saved a lot lot lot lot lot in time. I've also got brand new boots. You could tell by the lack of scuffs that they'd never been born. Most were under three dollars and leather. More like 80 plus for new ones.

You have to be careful but can save a mint on things. I only wish there were more shops here where I live now. Here, people use up things before they give them away. Good for the planet, not so good for us bargain hunters.

Old 04-05-2016, 02:28 AM

2,728 posts, read 2,698,021 times
I recommend setting used clothing to a freezer for 8-12 hours to kill possible bugs. Washing does not necessarily kill the eggs but freezing will kill them.

Using used clothes is good but also be smart with them.

(and for the helpless, don't break the fibers meanwhile freezing)

Old 04-05-2016, 07:43 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post
I think a lot of the clothing found in thrift shops , especially vintage clothing is probably deceased people's clothing, unless it's something current manufacter thats been worn a few times and donated recently.

most people donate deceased person's clothing after a death in the family

so the clothing your wearing could be a dead man's clothes / dead lady clothes

does it bother you? I remember as a kid going into Salvation Army it use to smell so bad I use to gag from the smell of the old clothing and old shoes.
No. Do you imagine that someone died in the clothing? Probably not.

If you are skeeved about wearing second hand clothes, just don't shop at the GW.

And, I donate clothing fairly often to the GW. I am not dead yet.

Old 04-05-2016, 07:46 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Ditto.
The thing that gives me the heebie jeebies is trying on clothing at a store. Who knows what kind of scuzz might have left behind lice, or worse, when trying it on before you, lol!
It took me awhile to decide to do this, and so far in the last 3 1/2 years, I haven't been contaminated.

I think the clothes are checked before being put out in the store. Imagine if some contaminated clothing got out onto the store floor! What a PR nightmare.

I do always wash things before wearing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty