Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 08:37 PM

35,054 posts, read 16,995,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlking58 View Post
Doesn't bother me at all. I first started going into thrift stores looking for stuff to convert into a Mardi Gras costume. But I also found a great suede jacket and a nice Banana Republic shirt. So the next time I went to donate clothes, I also went inside to look for more bargains. Found a cool Gap sweatshirt jacket that my grandson (who was with me) pounced on and still wears all the time. Another time found a brand new athletic wear jacket with the tags still attached, and my husband found 2 Nautica shirts.

Did any of these things formerly belong to someone who is now dead? Maybe. But unless they were murdered in it, or their body decomposed in it, I don't see the big deal.
We found two diamond rings, and a significant amount of currency amid my late mother's clothes. Fortunately I'm the only beneficiary and for that matter only biological child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 09:03 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,887,329 times
LoL...I thrift a lot. and I've cleaned out a lot of houses of old/dead people and donated their stuff to thrift. So I know what kinds of things get donated. And those are not the kinds of things that sell well.

When I shop at a thrift store, I'm looking for clothes from stores I like, not clothes that old ladies would wear. I realize it is possible that I'm buying things that belonged to a dead person, but IMHO americans are really wasteful, continually buying things, then rejecting them.

When my Great Aunt was nearing her end, she made us promise that we would not give her clothes to the thrift store in her town. We were to take them out of the county to donate them. She said that if she, as a ghost, was walking down the street, she would be upset to see someone else wearing her clothes.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:36 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,767,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post

When my Great Aunt was nearing her end, she made us promise that we would not give her clothes to the thrift store in her town. We were to take them out of the county to donate them. She said that if she, as a ghost, was walking down the street, she would be upset to see someone else wearing her clothes.
Well, clearly, that would never happen. EVERYONE knows ghosts do not have feet, so they could never walk. They only float. So you'd have been ok donating them locally.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:22 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,629,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I was in my late 60s when I came across a yard sale near my home. I looked at a few things but nothing really spoke to me until I spotted a pair of red Western boots. OMG! I had wanted a pair of "cowgirl boots" ever since I saw my first Roy Rogers/Dale Evans movie!

I sidled over to where they were, saw no price but decided if they fit, I would buy them, whatever the cost. They were in the original box, showed no signs of wear. I slid my foot into the left boot and it fit!

I took the boots to the lady running the sale and asked her for a price. She smiled and said, "I bought those boots as a gift for my friend who was going to take Line Dancing lessons with me. She got breast cancer and died without ever taking one lesson. I'm glad you want them. Give me a buck."
What a nice story ! Very descriptive......thanks.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:31 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,629,528 times
I have bought many interesting or beautiful things from thrift stores. Two of my favorites were a black jacket (Lands End) with the tags still on it and a necklace (costume jewelry) that was very unique and original. I wore both several times on a trip to Italy and never failed to get many compliments with questions as to where I got them.......didn't bother me at all to say, "at a thrift shop....".

I don't buy shoes. Had an episode with a fungus and once I got rid of that.....no more. I don't even like to try on new shoes that others have tried on.....

I love thrift.....

Old 04-10-2015, 01:01 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,316,954 times
I've never thought about it. If I bond with the clothes, they're MINE!

Old 04-10-2015, 04:58 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,124,298 times
As an old climbing partners once said; what do you do if you come upon the body of a dead climber in the mountains-
Check if his gear fits :-D

Old 04-10-2015, 07:33 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,922,180 times
I was doing some wall painting this week and was in dire need of old clothes I could use. Picked up a few t shirts and pants for a couple of bucks. They hardly have anything I'd wear on a normal basis.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:52 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times
I volunteer regularly at a true charity thrift store. Once a month, those that qualify, can pick out two full outfits for family members. I love to shop there, but I stay away from the clothing and leave it for those in true need. The only rack I look at is the one with new or obviously expensive clothing, because those items are not included in the giveaway.

But, I can assure you, the clothing is not washed at the store end. Hopefully it arrives clean. Massive amounts come in each week. It's sorted by season, with the out-of-season items stored until the weather changes. The badly stained or damaged stuff is recycled, everything else gets put on hangers and taken out to the sales floor.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:53 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,098,599 times
I am wearing jeans I bought at a thrift store and a hoodie I bought at a garage sale at the very moment that I'm typing this. It does not bother me at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty