Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 03:31 PM

722 posts, read 1,327,629 times

Advertisements

I think a lot of the clothing found in thrift shops , especially vintage clothing is probably deceased people's clothing, unless it's something current manufacter thats been worn a few times and donated recently.

most people donate deceased person's clothing after a death in the family

so the clothing your wearing could be a dead man's clothes / dead lady clothes

does it bother you? I remember as a kid going into Salvation Army it use to smell so bad I use to gag from the smell of the old clothing and old shoes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 03:40 PM

2,531 posts, read 3,096,958 times
No, it doesn't bother me. Why would it? The clothes are clean. They aren't covered in dead-drippings, or whatever you're imagining.

Old 04-08-2015, 03:41 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,972,103 times
We are all just deceased people in training.

Old 04-08-2015, 03:42 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
I've never thought about it. If you buy anything used (car, house, furniture) it's possible that the person who used to own it is dead.

Old 04-08-2015, 03:55 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
What better than to wash and pass on clothes when its owner is gone, and have their things serve a purpose to someone else. I love thrift stores. I've picked up items which are well loved and cared for which I'm sure someone valued and its an honor to give them a new life.

Thrift stores are a great place to find retro clothes too, and usually in great shape.

But... the best place in a thrift store is the mystery box they just put on the floor with a sign that everything is two bucks. That is where I found the mucklucks which fit me perfectly which I wore until the leather finally tore and couldn't be fixed.

Old 04-08-2015, 04:01 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
No, it doesn't bother me. Why would it? The clothes are clean. They aren't covered in dead-drippings, or whatever you're imagining.
Ditto.
The thing that gives me the heebie jeebies is trying on clothing at a store. Who knows what kind of scuzz might have left behind lice, or worse, when trying it on before you, lol!

Old 04-08-2015, 04:06 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,784,668 times
The only time it bothers me is if there are still limbs inside the shirts or pants. I'll have none of that. But, otherwise, I'm a big proponent of recycling and it doesn't bother me at all to wear some T shirt that used to belong to a fellow human being. I mean, I don't want to wear a shirt that has blood stains on it or anything... within reason.

Old 04-08-2015, 04:11 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,223,416 times
I love thrifting, it's a treasure hunt Tomorrow I am bringing 3 bags of clothing to donate because they never fit me well whether I gained weight or lost weight. If something is too big or too small but did fit at one time I keep it, I never know if I will gain or lose weight! The only thing I don't buy are items with someone's name on the label. That gives me the heebie jeebies because that's what they do in nursing homes.

Old 04-08-2015, 04:12 PM

22,560 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Almost any thing you buy used could have belonged to a dead person. Not a big deal to me.
What are you afraid of?

Old 04-08-2015, 04:20 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,946,672 times
Do you wear leather boots? They came from a dead cow. I don't think the clothes that came from a deceased person were worn when the person was deceased.

I have purchased many articles from thrift shops - some of them were brand new with tags still attached. It's a great place to go to find costume pieces. Everything I bought there was either dropped off at the dry cleaners on my way home or into the washer when I got back to my house. If the garments belonged to a person who has died, I'm glad that they shared my taste in clothing. They would probably be happy to know that someone is able to utilize the things they left behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty