Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2015, 03:22 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,166,913 times

Advertisements

One thing about buying used is you are most likely getting better quality for less compared to walmart style. Something has to last long enough to actually make it to the thrift store. Now I do buy clothes from walmart, but I'm really picky. Too much of it has ended up in the trash after soaking up a spill when the fabric didn't stand up for long.

My best buy is my wool winter coat. It's an alpine rated knee length double brested wool. It's made by one of the top German companies. The beauty is that since its natural wool, it breaths so when its not as cold you don't melt.

Price? All coats were half off. I got it for twenty dollars at a charity thrift.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 05:23 PM

7,982 posts, read 5,333,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post

does it bother you? I remember as a kid going into Salvation Army it use to smell so bad I use to gag from the smell of the old clothing and old shoes.
Dead or alive--I can't do used clothing. It has cooties I am not a huge germaphobic by any means, there are some things I just cannot do and this is one of them.
All the laundering in the world can't get the cooties out.

Old 04-10-2015, 06:16 PM

50,005 posts, read 63,335,877 times
I have nothing against a bargain, but I never go to thrift stores because I have no patience for wading through racks of stuff. As to the question about buying something that was owned by a dead person, I have no qualms about that...unless its on a vast rack of stuff.
I am a person who is a bundle of aberrant sizes (11W shoes, 14P dresses, 18T most everything else). I have enough trouble finding things that fit me online, where there is every option available, so I do not ever go to thrift stores.

Old 04-13-2015, 11:11 AM

41,737 posts, read 74,692,347 times
So what if the previous owner was dead? What an odd question ...

Old 04-13-2015, 06:04 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,610,942 times
I have once or twice, and ended up not wearing the items. I just can't wrap my head around wearing other people's cast-offs. I don't even like accepting hand-me-downs from people I know, and if I do to avoid hurt feelings, it ends up in the back of the closet until it gets tossed or donated.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:47 AM

108 posts, read 145,677 times
The art of handmade shoes has been lost in the present age, and now most shoes are made and bought from factories. There are still places where you can buy handmade moccasins and boots, but most are quite costly

Old 04-24-2015, 05:17 AM

1,887 posts, read 7,918,941 times
The thought has crossed my mind...not so much that the person who used to own the items are now deceased, but rather, the person who used to own this couch/shirt/dress/shoes possibly died while wearing it or sitting on it! That's such an irrational thought (and I recognize it) but the thought is still there. Most likely, it speaks more toward our hidden fears/stigmas toward death and dying. But in a related sentiment, I'm just freaked out by thrift stores in general- germ issues. I've never walked into one that smelled fresh. Everything seems stale in those places. I can't get passed that. However, one of my good friends just found an absolutely BEAUTIFUL Lilly Pulitzer dress for $3 and Goodwill so she's satisfied with that!

Old 04-24-2015, 10:02 AM

3,278 posts, read 5,347,423 times
No, never. I would feel like I am taking something away from someone who is poor and needs it more than I do.

I just buy new stuff, albeit on sale.

Old 04-27-2015, 08:39 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,249,658 times
Generally not, but one item for which I will make an exception is sweatshirts --- reason being that I often work in cold environments like loading docks during the winter months, have to dress in layers, and sweatshirts are too easily mislaid or mutilated.

Old 04-02-2016, 03:23 PM

33 posts, read 52,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
I am wearing jeans I bought at a thrift store and a hoodie I bought at a garage sale at the very moment that I'm typing this. It does not bother me at all.
I am also wearing some of my thrift store finds. TBH,I don't understand why some people think so badly of thrift stores. You can find a LOT of goodies them&it won't cost a fortune. I have bought Michael Kors,Calvin Klein,Guess,Bill Blass,Vera Wang,Forever 21,Gucci,Givenchy,Victorias Secret,Fredricks Of Hollywood,Worthington,Sag Harbor&SO many more wonderful things(vintage clothing&otherwise)for under $5.00 each&all in great condition&I love all my thrift store goodies. I also just recently bought a huge $100.00 dollar price tagged beautiful silk faux palm plant,for 10.00. And this thrift store,is'nt in a 'rich' neighborhood. If it were'nt for thrift stores,I would'nt have the opportunity to own all these wonderful things. Who cares if it's dead peoples stuff I'm wearing/using? I don't think the dead care&neither do I.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty