U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-08-2015, 11:26 PM
 
Location: Verde Valley
3,970 posts, read 8,623,585 times
Reputation: 3306

Advertisements

I am mid 50's and would like to find a comfortable, casual look that has some style to it.

I am 5'4"and on the heavier side (size 14) but do have shape to me. My biggest drawback is my legs are short (long body) and rather thick. I'd love to wear tights and a nice top but I don't think that is a good look for me , thoughts?

Capri's generally look hideous on me (always have) but I do wear some linen crop pants from J Jill. In general pants are the hardest thing to find for me as I have big thighs and butt and a smaller waist (until recently - menopause is changing that some for sure ).

I wear jeans and a nice embellished top a lot lately but I never used to wear jeans and would like to find a comfortable alternative but one that looks nice.

I work for myself from home but would like to find a look that would suit me and feel fashionable when I run out on errands or go out to dinner etc.. I do like dresses too but have a hard time finding the right ones.

Any suggestions? Please include pictures if you have any.

Thanks

Last edited by adventuregurl; 04-09-2015 at 12:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-09-2015, 07:19 AM
 
Location: UpstateNY
8,613 posts, read 7,813,014 times
Reputation: 7508
Plus Size Women's Clothing | Sizes 14-22 | Ralph Lauren
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2015, 07:22 AM
 
Location: southwestern PA
20,426 posts, read 35,718,901 times
Reputation: 38829
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
I'd love to wear tights and a nice top but I don't think that is a good look for me , thoughts?
Tights are not pants... that is not a good look for anyone.

Have you tried a personal shopper at a department store?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2015, 08:00 AM
 
5,574 posts, read 5,537,002 times
Reputation: 16468
I am also heavy in my thighs and butt and smaller in my waist. I've come to realize that off-the-rack pants just aren't a thing that will work for me. I have to get my pants altered. I buy them to fit my largest point, then have the waist taken in and the length shortened. It's not easy on the wallet, but it's the only way to get decent pants that look good on me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2015, 08:23 AM
 
14,651 posts, read 29,700,640 times
Reputation: 17226
As far as pants go, I would try to find some slim (but not tight) fitting pants with slight flares at the bottom - this gives the illusion of longer legs and balances out the thighs. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2015, 11:49 PM
 
Location: Verde Valley
3,970 posts, read 8,623,585 times
Reputation: 3306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Tights are not pants... that is not a good look for anyone.

Have you tried a personal shopper at a department store?
I meant to wear under longer tops, there is a local shop owner here who does that and looks great and feels comfortable but I just don't think it's for me.

Where I live we don't have shops big enough to have a personal shopper !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2015, 05:04 AM
 
3,877 posts, read 4,574,828 times
Reputation: 10019
Maybe it's time for a weekend getaway and go to a city that has stores with personal shoppers.

Wearing longer tops when you have short legs will just end up making you look shorter, unfortunately. Try Bermuda shorts (slightly above the knee) or duster length (at the knee) instead of capris. It's still modest but more modern looking. You can wear a simple tee that hits just below your waist and then a contrasting shrug or bolero to pull the eye up while still showing that you have a waist.

For dresses, take a look at Barbara Stanwyck styles. She was very long waisted and the designers had to come up with special pieces to make her appear more balanced, shape-wise, on screen. What worked for her will work for you as far as dress cuts go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2015, 07:51 AM
 
5,574 posts, read 5,537,002 times
Reputation: 16468
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
I meant to wear under longer tops, there is a local shop owner here who does that and looks great and feels comfortable but I just don't think it's for me.

Where I live we don't have shops big enough to have a personal shopper !
If you do that, at least use heavier leggings. Definitely not tights, unless the tops are dress length.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2015, 05:00 PM
 
Location: Verde Valley
3,970 posts, read 8,623,585 times
Reputation: 3306
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
If you do that, at least use heavier leggings. Definitely not tights, unless the tops are dress length.
I call leggings tights, I know they are different but I never meant I'd wear thin tights, I like Lulu Lemon's thickness!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2015, 05:02 PM
 
Location: Verde Valley
3,970 posts, read 8,623,585 times
Reputation: 3306
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
Maybe it's time for a weekend getaway and go to a city that has stores with personal shoppers.

Wearing longer tops when you have short legs will just end up making you look shorter, unfortunately. Try Bermuda shorts (slightly above the knee) or duster length (at the knee) instead of capris. It's still modest but more modern looking. You can wear a simple tee that hits just below your waist and then a contrasting shrug or bolero to pull the eye up while still showing that you have a waist.

For dresses, take a look at Barbara Stanwyck styles. She was very long waisted and the designers had to come up with special pieces to make her appear more balanced, shape-wise, on screen. What worked for her will work for you as far as dress cuts go.
Thanks for the dress tip. I won't wear any shorts at all, they don't suit me - stylists say no one over 40 should. I like dresses and flow-y romantic style clothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top