U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 07:14 PM

30,407 posts, read 9,086,867 times

Advertisements

My polish (all drugstore brands) lasts a little over a week. I never use a base or top coats, either, but I don't wear dark colors.

For years I stopped wearing polish, and my nails never looked better--long, and no peeling/splitting. I recently started wearing it again, but I keep my nails shorter, which I like. Also, I start out with only one coat. When it does start to chip, I simply add another. I can really extend a manicure that way. More importantly, I'm reducing the use of polish remover, which I'm convinced is more detrimental to nails than polish.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 07:17 PM

186 posts, read 171,287 times
I never have gone to a nail salon either and don't plan on going. Why pay so much for something temp.? I use the nice stuff from stores and I also use a top coat. Do you let it dry off completely before doing anything cause 4 hours sounds too quick.

Old 04-09-2015, 07:43 PM

5,574 posts, read 5,535,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gia1990 View Post
I never have gone to a nail salon either and don't plan on going. Why pay so much for something temp.?
Because they shape my nails much better than I've ever been able to. And applying nail polish with my left hand results in polish that looks like it was done by a spastic monkey.

Old 04-09-2015, 08:15 PM

19,631 posts, read 53,481,140 times
OPI followed by their top coat. Usually lasts 1 week.

Old 04-09-2015, 08:52 PM

6,317 posts, read 4,439,198 times
I have yet to find a great drug store brand.

NOT: Maybelline, Manic Panic, or Wet n Wild

MAYBE: Revlon, Opi, Sally Hansen

Old 04-09-2015, 09:23 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,346,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I have long nails and use drug store brands - base coat, polish-2 coats, top coat - it lasts a week+ - the only brand I found that chips easily (within days) is the Sally Hanson Insta-Dry - which may have been discontinued.
Sally Hansen Insta-Dry is still around. All the quick-dry polishes chip quicky due to high alcohol content. The same properties that make them dry quickly make the polish brittle.

The drug store brand with the most durable finish that I've found is Essie. OPI's quality has gone downhill, in my experience.

ALL of it should be lasting more than a few hours, though, provided the person isn't digging through sand or something with bare hands within hours of painting nails.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:31 PM
Itz

714 posts, read 1,859,225 times
I have the same problem. Nail polish won't stay on my nails at all. I've tried dozens of brands and even had a nail salon put polish on. When a nail salon does it, it will last about 2 days before flaking off.

I do my nails at home except about 3x a year. i use Sally Hansens maximum growth and the nail salon employees say that is why my nail polish flakes off. I don't know. Even without using a base coat it flakes off. I gave up on colored nail polish and just use my maximum growth polish, which has never flaked.

I don't do any housework, computer work, etc.. and the colored nail polish seems to flake right off. My mom has the same problem. She started using the shellac stuff, but has had to stop because it is messing up her fingers.

You might check out shellac.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:53 PM

11,429 posts, read 19,438,504 times
My fingernails are thin and flexible -- polish fails quickly because even polished -- base, 2 coats color, Seche Vite top coat -- my nails are flexible. The nail flexes, the polish cracks. The nail flexes again -- somewhere else-- the polish cracks more. The third time -- it's chipped.

Seche Vite seems to hold up a little better -- maybe there is a little give? I don't know. But I actually hate nail polish on my hands. The not lasting at all thing, my flat broad fan shaped nails aren't pretty....but I'm a nail biter and polish stops me from chewing. So it serves a purpose. When I want my hands to be nice -- I wear polish till the event.

My toenails painted -- very happy with....

Old 04-10-2015, 01:26 AM

10,392 posts, read 7,472,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I use Hoof Lacquer as a top coat and my nail polish will stay on about 5 days, even when I'm doing the dishes or gardening.
I was going to suggest a hardening top coat but really? Hoof Lacquer? LOL Love it!!

Old 04-10-2015, 04:24 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,888,570 times
I do housework and gardening for those who are asking what I do and, yes, my nail polish actually does start chipping within a short period of time. Sorry for those who don't believe it Sally Henson doesn't work for me. I will try buffing and alcohol. I haven't tried OPI yet but I will. Thanks to those who gave helpful suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty