U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 04:25 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,887,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I use Hoof Lacquer as a top coat and my nail polish will stay on about 5 days, even when I'm doing the dishes or gardening.
Where do you buy that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 06:39 AM

1,699 posts, read 1,638,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitasway View Post
I do housework and gardening for those who are asking what I do and, yes, my nail polish actually does start chipping within a short period of time. Sorry for those who don't believe it Sally Henson doesn't work for me. I will try buffing and alcohol. I haven't tried OPI yet but I will. Thanks to those who gave helpful suggestions.
Do you wear gloves when you do those activities?

Old 04-10-2015, 06:47 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,887,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeth View Post
Do you wear gloves when you do those activities?
I but gloves on to clean the bathrooms and for gardening but that's it.

Old 04-10-2015, 12:23 PM

14,648 posts, read 29,685,966 times
I have the same problem. To start with, my nails are thin, flexible and have ridges that crack. I am very healthy, and they have just always been this way. Wearing too many coats of anything is counter-productive. My fave polish is Essie, in a very light natural "pearl" color. I start with one coat. Then might add another when it starts to chip in a day or so. That's about as good as it's going to get for me.

Old 04-10-2015, 12:40 PM

2,490 posts, read 3,812,423 times
gel polish is the only one that works for me......

Old 04-10-2015, 12:53 PM

5,146 posts, read 2,992,030 times
Sally Hansen's Hard as Wraps has solved my problem with this. It's an acrylic and nylon gel topcoat.

I do all my chores that are going to be tough on my fingernails the day I am going to polish them. Then in the later afternoon or early evening I polish and give them plenty of time to dry before bed. After a night in bed they have "cured" sufficiently to be well set.

This will last me a week. Sometimes during a less busy week it will last longer.

Should I be careless and get a nick, I use a heavy duty file to get through the gel and a fine one to level it out. Retouch with color and then another layer of gel.

Old 04-10-2015, 01:03 PM

5,146 posts, read 2,992,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Because they shape my nails much better than I've ever been able to. And applying nail polish with my left hand results in polish that looks like it was done by a spastic monkey.
I've got the same problem as I've gotten older. Here's my solution:

Do the best you can but be sure to get to the edges of the nail all around. It's best not to use a brush that isn't too full for that first swipe that goes around the bottom. Softening and pushing back the cuticle before you start will help with raising it.

Now, if you're like me, you probably have some polish on your skin around the nail. Let it be. The next day you will be happy to discover most will come off with a good soap and water scrubbing. If not, try an application of greasy hand lotion and some scrubbing.

A third, and final solution is a gentle rubbing with a very low abrasion file. Voila!

Old 04-10-2015, 03:30 PM

6,219 posts, read 7,395,658 times
For a long time, I wore acrylic nails, applied in a <gasp> nail salon. The tech was very personable, it was her own shop, and it was scrupulously clean. My go-to color was OPI Hopelessly in Love. I had my own bottle, brought it with me each visit and she applied it - two thin coats and a top coat. Usually lasted 10 to 12 days with minimal chipping.

When I got sick with cancer, I was more concerned with recovering than nails and I stopped getting acrylics. But OPI would still be my polish of choice. And professional application.

Old 04-10-2015, 05:24 PM

5,119 posts, read 3,633,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitasway View Post
Where do you buy that?
(hoof laquer) You get it at a horse tack store or maybe a TSC. This would dry up before you use much of it and I think it would be expensive compared to what I use (see below)

I've done my own French pedicure and used a white craft paint for my nail tips, and an acrylic based satin varnish from the craft area of Walmart or a craft store for the top coat. All you need is a small paint brush (you can also get at Walmart/craft store in the craft paints area) and it cleans up with water so you can reuse it.

All this for under $10.00 is a thrifty way to do a French pedicure and if you're careful painting the white on, it looks like a professional job.

The varnish gives a nice hard finish and dries into a semi-shiny coating. I imagine? nail polish takes it off, but I just let it wear off over time as I clip my toenails.

Old 04-10-2015, 06:25 PM

3,404 posts, read 7,250,918 times
I think essie polishes are pretty good. The key is to use thin coats instead of thick coats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty