U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 05:11 AM

2 posts, read 1,517 times

Advertisements

Interesting topic. I also want to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2015, 05:42 AM

18,434 posts, read 28,516,023 times
I use Jamberry nail wraps and they stay on a couple weeks! (or until I wanna try a new one on!) I started using them and liked them so much I started selling them!

Old 04-11-2015, 05:13 PM

1,056 posts, read 870,033 times
1) Use a nail strengthener such as Duri Rejuvacote or Nailtiques Formula 2 according to the instructions on the bottle.
2) Wipe your nails clean with white vinegar before applying anything to remove any traces of oils or lotions.
3) Use a base coat and quick dry top coat.
4) Do your nails at night before bed and let them dry for about 1/2 hour to an hour before bed, that way they will be dry enough that sleeping won't damage them and they'll have all night to completely dry. It takes nail polish about 8 hours to fully dry (even with a quick dry top coat) so if you do your nails during the day the polish will start chipping much faster because it hasn't had a chance to fully dry.
5) Try multiple different brands. Everybody's body chemistry is different and the same brand may chip within a day for one person but last a week with no chips for someone else.
6) Wrap your tips with your nail polish. Google how to wrap your nails tips if you don't know what I'm talking about. Wrapping your tips gives you at least an extra 2 or 3 days of wear from a manicure.
7) Don't use pure acetone to remove polish. Use a remover such as Zoya Remove that includes moisturizer.

If you can't even keep polish on your nails a couple of hours without chips, most likely your problem is (1) your nails are so weak polish can't adhere to the surface or (2) You have super oily nails or apply lotion before painting your nails, nail polish can't adhere to oily or lotiony nails or (3) you're polishing your nails during the day and not giving your nails much drying time before resuming normal household activities; the polish may appear dry, but it will start to chip much more quickly since it isn't fully dry.

As long as your nails are healthy, no brand should chip within hours as long as it's applied properly, polish is allowed to fully dry, and you're not digging thru sand or dirt with your bare hands. Even brands that don't agree with my body chemistry last a couple of days before they start to show major tip wear and chipping.

Last edited by patches403; 04-11-2015 at 05:51 PM..

Old 04-12-2015, 10:05 AM

14,072 posts, read 20,136,656 times
I was in the same position and it would **** me off. I was buying Essie and OPI and no luck so I started getting shellac. 2 weeks not a single chip at all with an extra drying session at salon when they are getting done. I'll never go back to regular nail polish except for my toes.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:03 AM

2,490 posts, read 3,812,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I was in the same position and it would **** me off. I was buying Essie and OPI and no luck so I started getting shellac. 2 weeks not a single chip at all with an extra drying session at salon when they are getting done. I'll never go back to regular nail polish except for my toes.
Same here, although mine sometimes chips after 8 days or so, but I am REALLY hard on my nails and have thin, bendable nails, so anything staying on over a week is a miracle!

Regular polish (Essie, OPI) would chip off in a day or two, no joke. It was such a waste of money.

I love gel polish, my favorite is Gelish. But I get it done at the salon, I was never good at painting my finger nails myself. My toes yes...not fingers.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:08 PM

1 posts, read 747 times
Go to Takano Beverly Hills she uses a bio Sculpture Gel that last 2 weeks and if they chip in that time span she repairs it

Old 05-22-2015, 01:03 PM

152 posts, read 137,959 times
OPY is best nail polish ever. But, you need to apply it to CLEAN nails. You can NEVER apply any lotion or oils, then just apply polish. It is better if you apply a conditioning treatment after you soaked your hands/feet then cutting nails, then wait til morning to apply nail color. You must first wipe your nails with nail polish remover, then apply clear coat, then 2-3 coats of color & finish up with a fast dry spray....

Now you can get a manicure done & heat applied to your nails for a Varnish effect that lasts 4 weeks without applying fake nails that could cause infection/damage our nailbed. This is really cheap if you have it done at a hair dresser school....

Old 05-24-2015, 07:38 PM

9,454 posts, read 15,010,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gia1990 View Post
I never have gone to a nail salon either and don't plan on going. Why pay so much for something temp.? I use the nice stuff from stores and I also use a top coat. Do you let it dry off completely before doing anything cause 4 hours sounds too quick.
I agree to let it dry thoroughly. I usually try to do nail polish last thing before bed so it has all night to really dry.

Also, here's a trick I read about--

After the polish has dried, say, 45 min--hour, immerse nails in bowl of ice water for several minutes, or as long as you can tolerate. Usually I can tolerate 30 sec, then remove, then repeat! I find my polish lasts 4-5 days.

Old 05-26-2015, 06:42 AM

223 posts, read 247,196 times
The brands I use are China glaze, Orly, Opi, Revlon and Sally Hansen. It doesn't chip as long as I apply two thin coats and use seche vite top coat.

Old 05-29-2015, 10:18 AM

255 posts, read 314,486 times
I use Jamberry nails now. With my job, it's pointless to paint my nails.They chip or they just come right off. I tried Jamberry nails at Christmas and I love them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty