Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 08:56 PM

658 posts, read 721,435 times

Advertisements

I also have given up on polish for the most part and use Jamberry nail wraps. I have a few bottles of the Sally Hansen Insta-dry which I like to call "Insta-chip". The color starts chipping within 24 hours and no, I'm not rooting through dirt or vats of acid. I think the more expensive gels work better, but I hate spending that much. I only use polish now and then to go with the Jamberry wraps or in between wraps to give my nails a break from the adhesive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2016, 09:04 PM

645 posts, read 750,172 times
I have the same problem..polish always comes off by the next day..I have tried everything.....I use to get my nails done but got tired of it so just started doing them myself....nothing works so I just gave up...polish stays on my toes but not on my fingers so once it chips I just take it off and go without polish the rest of the week..its annoying.....so I feel your pain...lol

Old 04-25-2016, 09:37 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,302,595 times
Are you making sure your fingernails are not oily after your manicure? I soak and/or trim my cuticles, slather moisturizer on, let it soak in and then use a cotton ball to wipe the nail with either nail polish remover or alcohol. Since my nails have ridges I use 2 coats of ridge filler (I get it at Sally's), a clear strengthening base coat, 2 coats of the color, then a coat of clear quick dry like "out the door" from Sally's.

Make sure you let each coat dry before doing another one. My manicures usually last 7-10 days with an occasional reapply of topcoat. If using a dark color I may have to go over the tips with more color and then topcoat but I do it at night while I watching TV so my hands aren't doing much. I also wear gloves when washing dishes or cleaning the bathrooms.

If this is too much for you try buffing or using just a clear topcoat. Just don't be too aggressive with the buffing or you will thin out the nail too much.

Old 04-26-2016, 09:44 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,406,229 times
I saw a relatively new brand at Walgreens for under $2.00 and picked one up on a whim. Sinful Colors. Turns out it's made by one of the Kardashians.

A coat of Sally Hansen's Hard as Wraps, a coat or two of Sinful Colors and a top coat of Hard as Wraps. Least expensive I've ever done and I'm going on week two.

Old 04-26-2016, 10:09 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,302,595 times
Ironically I just bought a beautiful blue color of Sinful Colors and used it last night. Also did the Sally Hansen Hard as Wraps and then an additional quick dry top coat.

Old 05-08-2016, 10:43 PM

658 posts, read 721,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Ironically I just bought a beautiful blue color of Sinful Colors and used it last night. Also did the Sally Hansen Hard as Wraps and then an additional quick dry top coat.
Even more ironically I was just at Walgreens talking to the beauty lady there and she was wearing a really cool metallic green polish and I asked about it and she said it was the Kylie Jenner one. It's green but when you look at it from the side, it's turquoise. Really interesting. I might buy some (and I'm no Kardashian fan.)

Old 05-09-2016, 11:16 AM

29 posts, read 36,452 times
I have the same problem as so many of you. Weak peeling nails and polish that chips right off

All these problems were solved by applying Nailtiques Formula 2 followed by a base coat then using a brand of nail polish called Formula X which is sold at Sephora or online. I use their shear line which lays down subtle color which lasts about 2 weeks. I've also used ther highly pigmented colors and they last and hold their shine for about 10 days. Of course, I apply a top coat and prepare my nails as described by other posters

Formula X is the only brand for me! I've tossed out the Opi, Essie, Sally Hansen bottles. They don't compare favorably to the wear I get from Formula X. And no, I don't sell or rep Formula X n any way! I'm just so happy to have finally found a NP that stays looking good for more than a day!

Old 05-09-2016, 11:36 AM

2,728 posts, read 2,698,346 times
I don't use nail polish because it makes my nails dropping off.. Terrible poisons.. Duke-EWG Study Finds Toxic Nail Polish Chemical In Women

Old 05-11-2016, 07:36 AM

29 posts, read 36,452 times
If your nails are weak and peeling then the last thing you want to do is buff them because buffing removes layers thereby weakening your nails even more. Your better option is to take Biotin every day to strengthen your nails. In addition paint Nailtiques 2 on your nails every three days and forgo NP for a few weeks

No buffing and faithfully using Biotin and Nailtiques will definitely give you the strong pretty nails we all want!

I don't rep any products mentioned here. For years I was frustrated with crappy nails and through trial and error discovered what works for me. Hope these suggestions help you.

Old 05-11-2016, 10:15 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,949,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
For a long time, I wore acrylic nails, applied in a <gasp> nail salon. The tech was very personable, it was her own shop, and it was scrupulously clean. My go-to color was OPI Hopelessly in Love. I had my own bottle, brought it with me each visit and she applied it - two thin coats and a top coat. Usually lasted 10 to 12 days with minimal chipping.
Me too--the shop I went to for years was a family-run business--I had my own implements & usually brought my own polish. Standing appointments every other Wednesday .

I just (a month or so ago) started doing my own gel nails, using CND products. I'm really impressed with them! Easy to use & the color stays on for two weeks. The only downside is you have to soak them off with acetone.
I still love them. And no--I'm not concerned with using chemicals .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty