U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 10:48 PM

3,633 posts, read 4,251,226 times

Advertisements

Have new leather purse/bag and wallet. Purchased by mail-order, and didn't know the odor would be so awful and strong. They've been sitting there for a couple of weeks, but it isn't airing out. Would anyone know how to remove the horrible smell without ruining the items?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2015, 07:54 AM

2,868 posts, read 2,843,280 times
Wife owns two pairs of leather jeans (brown/black) and leather skirts (brown/black) that no longer have a strong smell. I would get some leather cleaner and clean them, then some conditioner. Sometimes, it just takes time. I take it that you are smelling that typical "leather" smell and sometimes it just takes a while for that to work its way out. I may be wrong but I think it is the chemicals involved in the tanning/dyeing process that you are smelling. Someone else in the forum could better inform you on that. Am wearing a leather jacket as I type this (as is wife) that no longer "smells". Mine is 20+ years old. One thing about leather, if you take care of it, it lasts.

Old 04-12-2015, 08:18 AM

2,808 posts, read 1,729,333 times
I don't see the problem, I absolutely love the smell of leather. you either do or you don't, if you don't like the smell then don't buy leather.

Old 04-12-2015, 08:28 AM

35,817 posts, read 39,346,783 times
Is it the leather smell that you dislike, or have they absorbed some other odor? Leather is quite absorbent of odorants it gets exposed to (leather jackets and handbags in the era when people could still smoke in bars and restaurants were an absolute nightmare). If they've absorbed some odd odor, use a leather cleaner on them. But if it's just that you don't want leather to smell like leather...well, you bought stuff made out of the wrong material , then. That's how leather smells. It'll dissipate over time as the leather absorbed more smells, but not right away.

Old 04-12-2015, 10:57 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,278,490 times
Murphy's soap in the tin container is good and it smells great. Baking soda is a good odor remover. Try leaving a container of baking soda inside for a few days. You may also condiser leaving an open container of white vinegar inside. Candles are also good odor removers.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:42 AM

9,059 posts, read 5,656,138 times
What type of odor ? Some lower end leather items are made from tanned leathers from other countries...and lets just say their tanning methods are not like here in the U.S. You will end up with an item that smells like ammonia or urine. If it is just the natural smell of good leather (which is wonderful) it will fade away some in a few days.

Old 04-13-2015, 11:02 AM

20,426 posts, read 35,707,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
Have new leather purse/bag and wallet. Purchased by mail-order, and didn't know the odor would be so awful and strong.
What is the odor?
Leather has a smell of its own that many people love. IF it is that, it will take a very long time to fade.
Or, is the odor something else... a chemical smell? Smoke? Other?

Old 04-13-2015, 11:14 AM

2,868 posts, read 2,843,280 times
That's how my wife can go into a clothing store and tell the difference between a piece of faux leather clothing and the real thing. She hefts it and feels the weight. And she holds it up to her nose and smells it. And of course the price. Some of this faux leather clothing these days is pretty convincing. It doesn't fool her.

Old 04-16-2015, 01:20 AM

6,495 posts, read 2,237,845 times
Sometimes leather smells good and sometimes it is so bad that it causes a wave of nausea - I don't know why that is. Shouldn't leather be ideally a good smell? I think that some leather materials are treated with chemicals to enhance the leather and that is why some of them stink. I am thinking the higher quality leather goods do not have a disagreeable smell, just the low quality ones that have to be treated to make it look presentable. I don't buy a lot of leather purses (I like using lightweight "parachute" material handbags) because they are too heavy even by themselves so carrying a few extra items in them will weigh a ton.

Old 04-16-2015, 01:23 AM

6,495 posts, read 2,237,845 times
A lot of fake leather purses have a smell, too - maybe they even try to take on a faux "leather" smell. PVC - Polyurethane something is the material in a lot of the fake leather goods. Some lower priced/quality purses have some parts glued together. I bought a purse a while ago - beautiful looking purse - but quality wasn't that great because I took it home and notice glue residue on the purse at the seams where it should have been sewn. Little pills of glue and streaks at the seams, yuck... I should have checked the inside more carefully instead of just focusing on the outside. Do check the inside of purses, too. It was about 12 bucks, not too bad and I can use it when I don't have to carry a lot. First I will have to remove the sticky residue with Scotch tape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or