U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 08:10 PM

7,736 posts, read 13,969,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
I usually never travel in a suit, if I'm traveling for business I will use a backpack, but definitely not wear a suit on travel day. On work day it's game time, suit, planner, game time.
Some people go straight from the airport to their meeting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2015, 08:12 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 8,199,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Some people go straight from the airport to their meeting.
That's fine, I was sharing my own personal experience.

Old 04-12-2015, 08:13 PM

4,859 posts, read 3,717,072 times
My son wears a suit and carries a leather messenger bag. It holds his laptop, papers, etc., and is more secure for the train ride, as it is right next to him, on his body.

Old 04-12-2015, 08:56 PM

2,726 posts, read 3,693,210 times
I kept noticing this on the plane. Grown, mature men carrying North Face or some casual canvas backpack. I wondered if briefcases were out of style that much. Too me, granted I am mature, it seems to hipster or like college.

Old 04-12-2015, 09:28 PM

5,167 posts, read 10,482,343 times
I have a *business* type looking fabric *briefcase*.
But ... , it has hidden straps on the outside which turn the bugger into a back pack,
or into one that you can sling over your shoulder.

Old 04-13-2015, 01:10 AM

896 posts, read 864,818 times
well if you are outside and wearing a suit during winter (at least in nyc), you are wearing a JACKET too. that means i can't see your suit. usually a scarf is also there. that means you are just wearing a backpack on top of some kind of jacket. what's wrong with that? anyway, i don't see this being an issue at work as long as you do your job. on the street, no one really cares, not in nyc, maybe in small towns with a village mindset.

Old 04-13-2015, 01:11 AM

896 posts, read 864,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
I kept noticing this on the plane. Grown, mature men carrying North Face or some casual canvas backpack. I wondered if briefcases were out of style that much. Too me, granted I am mature, it seems to hipster or like college.
briefcases are very limited in storage capacity and function. you can't really put a water bottle in there (hard to access it). there's no front or side pouch for train pass access or whatever else tiny item. they are also very heavy (this is a serious problem) and take up one hand. a backpack leaves both hands empty ready to use for something else. they are always lighter, can be washed in the laundry, are cheap to replace (compared to briefcases). you can also ride your bike to work with a backpack on. where will you put your briefcase? too many benefits to a backpack. if you really care about image, buy the alpha bravo pack from tumi like the lady just posted in this thread. when someone sees tumi, that will tell them your class and income level if that matters to you.

briefcases remind me of the 1920s or so with ALL of the men (not joking) wearing fedora hats and trenchcoats and suits. i am talking about those nyc pics at wall street and so on. times and styles change. we do not wear false teeth or wigs like george washington did. and i still wonder why ppl. even wear suits in the summer. you stink and sweat too much. yes you can control body odor but who likes having humid areas on their body while it is hot? it just feels nasty. i did have to wear suits at work when i was younger but i would just change there from light airy jeans and a tshirt and normal winter gear during the cold weather. on a side note, i also dislike/hate wearing work wear when i am not working. i feel like i am working or around my job for free. i work to live, not live to work. i have a prof. job now that kind of requires a suit but i figured out a way to make a uniform from a golf polo shirt and light khaki pants. no suits ever. even then, i show up to work in tshirt and jeans and leave the same way. only change into my work wear in my office. and yes i always carry a bookbag with me. what's inside? i always have my own cooked/prepared meals along with toothbrush and paste and reading material. i never buy food outside (another topic), well fast food i mean.

Last edited by Hairy Guy; 04-13-2015 at 01:22 AM..

Old 04-13-2015, 08:32 AM

2,828 posts, read 3,444,187 times
At the gym, around lunchtime, the business guys come in for their daily workout. They are always in their uniforms (suits, ties, some with the formal hats, etc.). The formal business guys stand out from all the others coming and going. There are a couple of doctors that also come in for a workout, but their attire varies.... sometimes they're formal and other times casual. The interesting thing to me is that the business guys usually carry these fancy leather bags that hold their gym gear. The bags are usually brown, black or maroon and tend to harmonize with their suits, but they are definitely high-end. So even their gym luggage is compatible with the image that they try to project. All others just bring their stuff in gym bags and assorted carry-on bags.

I think most of these guys work in the financial/insurance/legal sectors. If they have formal briefcases or backpacks in their cars, I wouldn't know. I just get the impression though that these are dyed-in-the-wool types that are set in the beliefs and habits of their business surroundings.... most of which are probably run by older types that have been set in their ways for a long time now.

It seems to me that as we age, the mind also seems to get into a form of rigidity, not unlike what happens to the arteries. That's why younger people are open to experimenting with different ideas, but after a certain age, most will abandon that and fall into more predictable, don't-rock-the-boat patterns that they think are more compatible to their age group. Of course, there are exceptions to everything.

Old 04-13-2015, 08:44 AM

4,943 posts, read 2,567,230 times
Briefcases are so 1980's

Old 04-13-2015, 08:47 AM

19,035 posts, read 10,056,661 times
I think that function beats form here. Now for a job interview, yes, I would recommend bringing a nice portfolio or small briefcase. But for a daily commute, I think a backpack or messenger bag is much more functional. As nezlie said, times change, and this is our new norm. I don't think we need to hold to a standard saying only briefcases look professional, when the reality is that many, many professionals are using more functional pieces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or