U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 09:29 AM

11,066 posts, read 8,991,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
It is no longer 1930's. It seems it's the people that don't work in such a environments that thinks everyone shows up in a three piece suit , pocket watch, shiny shoes, and leather briefcase.
I'm holding out hope for an Apple Pocketwatch soon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 03:27 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,180,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post

It is no longer 1930's. It seems it's the people that don't work in such a environments that thinks everyone shows up in a three piece suit , pocket watch, shiny shoes, and leather briefcase.
I would hope the shoes were shined, if not shiny. Particularly for interviews.

Old 04-22-2015, 03:30 PM

3,280 posts, read 3,545,566 times
Something like this seems like the best option. Your situation may be different if you walk many miles on city streets, but most people park pretty close to their office.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:02 PM

7,736 posts, read 13,967,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
Something like this seems like the best option. Your situation may be different if you walk many miles on city streets, but most people park pretty close to their office.

You think that looks better than a backpack? They're on the same level in my opinion. My husband used a similar one by Tumi for a while, but it was too cumbersome for travel or even walking the NYC streets.

FWIW, most of the people I know take mass transit to work.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:58 PM

3,280 posts, read 3,545,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post

FWIW, most of the people I know take mass transit to work.
If you live in NYC that tends to happen. 95% of people probably aren't in that situation though.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:07 PM

10,754 posts, read 25,531,740 times
I have two backpacks that I carry, one is a Tumi leather backpack, and the other is the convertible to roller backpack. I also have a Zero Halliburton backpack that I tend to carry with my attache case or computer case, though they are aluminum to the backpack's fabric. My Tumi convertible roller is one that I take when I travel since it matches luggage, and works well with the wheeled carry-on bag that I use. I have a messenger bag, but I don't like it as much because it does not have the same number of compartments.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 04-23-2015, 07:46 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,000,132 times
I have a messenger and backpack, and most of the time i opt for the backpack. Its not one of those North Face Hike the Patagonia backpacks, but a simple Jack Spade one.

Foundation Canvas Backpack - JackSpade

I don't wear suits often, but when i do i still use the backpack. I work in Insurance and even in our corporate headquarters backpacks are the norm. I think ill-fitting suits is more of an eyesore than backpacks but thats another story

Old 04-26-2015, 03:27 PM

1,352 posts, read 1,212,616 times
It really depends on your field of work (including your specific company's culture), as well as where you live. Fields such as investment banking and legal are more image conscious, and you sometimes want to give off the right look even when you're not at work...i.e. when on a flight, etc. Older companies with "conservative" leadership tend to be more image conscious while younger progressive companies don't care as much about looks...comfort matters more. If you work for a company in the former group, it's a good idea to observe what your colleagues are doing and follow their lead dress-wise. If that means losing the backpack and going with a matching high-end messenger bag, then do that. If that means stick to navy and charcoal-colored suits (i.e. avoid black), then do that. Considering the clients such companies tend to have, projecting the correct image can make the difference between landing that million dollar deal and not getting it. Or getting promoted within the company.

It is true though that once you've "proven" yourself, people generally won't care what you use to carry your stuff. But depending on the field/company, that may not happen until you've been around for years and have ascended way up the corporate ladder.

Other fields such as IT (and companies with younger leadership in general, regardless of industry) are less image conscious. It's 2015, not 1950. Nobody gives a damn if you wear a backpack with a suit...if you wear a suit jacket at all. They're unlikely to spend more than a second or two even thinking about such stuff. Also, the guy early in this thread who suggested to "lose the tie" has a point. Some places will actually frown on people who look too formally-dressed or care too much about what kind of bag they use. They may think you're too stuck-up, condescending, vain or try-hard.

As for briefcases, image-wise they scream "old man stuck in the 1970s". Besides, they're just too impractical these days...functionally, a messenger bag or backpack is more versatile.

It's best to just do what you feel comfortable with (in accordance with company policy, of course) and not care too much about trends. That said, it's wise to still be aware of current social/societal norms and trends (including appearance), as being too ignorant of those may impact your future career goals depending on where you work. I've heard of situations where wearing a suit-n-tie to a job interview may not be well-received by the interviewer(s) and lead to you not getting the job.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:54 PM

19,005 posts, read 10,047,592 times
I was thinking about this thread when I went to our local Shakespeare Festival last week - about 5000 kids from the city school district participate and are in costume all day. Many of the adults were too - and there were lots and lots of backpacks being worn over formal Elizabethan clothing. Practicality over looks.

Old 04-30-2015, 05:33 AM

30,332 posts, read 31,201,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Do you mean a briefcase?

No way would I advise my sons to wear a college backpack with a suit. A leather backpack if you must, but a leather messenger bag would be better than a backpack.
A briefcase or an attache case!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or