Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 02:29 AM

8,495 posts, read 4,161,204 times

Advertisements

It reminds me of when women used to wear high-powered suits to work and they had sneakers on (circa 1980s). I guess the backpacks are more comfortable and they don't have to carry it by hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 04:30 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
A suit with a backpack? It makes me picture a young Mormon missionary.

Old 04-14-2015, 06:07 AM

1,241 posts, read 2,322,260 times
I never had to wear a suit but I used to travel a good amount. Having a backpack saves your shoulders when you are waiting in line at the airport or on a Metro train. Having too much weight on one shoulder for too long of a time can strain the shoulder. Backpacks can also hold more goods. I used to have a laptop, my lunch (if I wasn't traveling), papers, and other computer equipment. When I was traveling I would also have some toiletries. I wouldn't travel anywhere without a backpack.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:16 AM

1,796 posts, read 2,232,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
This sums up my attitude to the question in the OP.

"No."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfKTDMEoC88

When I dress casual it's really casual but I would never wear a backpack with a suit. You might as well be wearing clown shoes. A black messenger-style bag maybe but that's it. If that's not big enough to carry what you need to a meeting then get suitcase or a courier.

To quote a blog I read earlier today (written from an American woman's perspective about American men):
You can blame my pretentions on every man in Copenhagen, and I refuse to apologize for them. You’re pushing 30 and you’re dressed like my high-school boyfriend in public. Buy a pair of dress shoes and get your **** together, man.
There is so much about this post that is wonderful wonderful wonderful. Except here in the US the guys (and women) that do this are even pushing 40 or 50.
There's a time and place to be comfortable. There's also a time and place to have a sense of style and pride. The older I get, the more I realize this.

Old 04-15-2015, 06:52 PM

2,939 posts, read 4,126,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
There is so much about this post that is wonderful wonderful wonderful. Except here in the US the guys (and women) that do this are even pushing 40 or 50.
There's a time and place to be comfortable. There's also a time and place to have a sense of style and pride. The older I get, the more I realize this.
Agreed. There are just too many sloppy adults.

Or to quote Ryan Gosling, "Be better than The Gap"

Old 04-18-2015, 06:20 AM

138 posts, read 130,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbyman View Post
Since Ive been in D.C. I have only seen one man with a suitcase going to work, every other man seems to have a outdoor or college-type backpack essentially filled to the brim with whatever is in there. It looks weird and informal to me, I guess suitcases died a long time ago? Is this in other areas too?
Have to agree it looks infantile but I suppose this is the way society is going.

Old 04-18-2015, 09:58 AM

3,278 posts, read 5,390,324 times
I would not do that. I feel like the combonation of the backpack, shirt and suit jacket would make my back sweat which would be nasty. Better to stick with a briefcase/laptop case or rolling bag.

Old 04-18-2015, 11:42 AM

490 posts, read 660,238 times
I think that's kinda hot.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:38 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,138,783 times
I use a backpack, because messenger bags are absolutely terrible for your back and shoulders, and will distort your posture. A briefcase would be just begging to have someone snatch it and run.

Who cares what people think? Are they going to pay for your chiropractic bills or replacement cost of everything in a briefcase? If not, then their opinions don't matter.

Old 04-18-2015, 10:28 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,390,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
A briefcase would be just begging to have someone snatch it and run.
Briefcase theft is clearly in epidemic in your area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty