U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2015, 11:18 AM

334 posts, read 926,310 times

Advertisements

Apart from NYC area stores like Alexander's and Loehmanns here are a few others. Some of their stuff was junk but interesting bargains were to be found as well:

Syms
Daffy's
Conway
Consumers

And of course there are so many already listed that I miss...Tower Records, Borders, Filene's Basement (a highlight of the summer when I lived in Boston), Service Merchandise, Woolworth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 11:29 AM

30,422 posts, read 9,092,686 times
Of course, I forgot a few:

Scrantoms (stationery)
Key Drugs > Fay's Drugs > Eckerd's Drugs (once Rite-Aid took over, prices went through the roof)
Freddy's
Caren Charles

Old 04-20-2015, 11:34 AM

5,336 posts, read 5,703,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Spelled "Hahne's" but pronounced "Haynes".

I don't remember Jacobs or Meyer Brothers. Must've been before my time or out of my area.

I remember all the old stores in Newark that went out one by one after the '67 riots, including Klein's, Two Guys, Bamberger's, and I think Hahnes and maybe Ohrbach's also had stores there. There was also Muir's department store in East Orange that was a single-location store which just went out of business in the mid-70's rather than retreating to the suburban malls.
I should have remembered the spelling, I used to work there (in Montclair).

Jacobs and Meyer Brothers were in downtown Paterson, one on each side of Main Street, although Meyer Brothers also had a store in the Wayne Hills Mall. The Paterson store closed after a fire in 91 and the Wayne store closed around 95 I think. I believe Jacobs also closed in the late 80s or early 90s. Before the Jacobs family took it over, the store was known as Quackenbush.

Last edited by johnp292; 04-20-2015 at 11:45 AM..

Old 04-20-2015, 12:12 PM

1,573 posts, read 1,120,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
May Company Flagship store at Wilshire and LaBrea in Los Angeles. As a kid, I loved old-fashioned department stores with mezzanines and creaky wooden escalators. Once I started shopping for myself, it was one of my favorite places to go, but I never cared for the mall locations. The building has long since been converted to museum space at LACMA, but the original facade remains.

Bullock's- A "rich old lady" store. I worked there one Christmas season while in college, and used my discount to buy gifts, but they didn't sell much that appealed to me at that age. Still, I was sad to see it go.

J.W. Robinson (Beverly Hills)- Was comparable to Sak's, but carried more contemporary labels, and hired younger sales associates, so I found it more approachable. It lost a lot of its luster when it merged with May Co. (which, by then, had also declined in prestige) to become Robinson's-May, and then died a quick death when Macy's acquired the brand.

Marshall Field's- Chicago is my second home, and I will never forgive Macy's for killing Marshall Field's.

Fedco- Membership warehouse store for government employees. Through the eyes of a child, this place was huge! Our family didn't have a membership card, so we didn't go very often. My favorite part of a trip to Fedco was eyeing all the prepared foods concessions at the front of the store, and picking out stuff to take home.
Before Macy's killed off the great Marshall Field's they killed off my beloved Liberty House in Honolulu and McInerny's wasn't far behind.

I travel a lot so I looked forward to Burdine's in FL, Marshall Field's in Chicago, Wanamaker's in Philadelphia, Dayton's in Minneapolis, Meier and Frank in Portland, Bon Marché in Seattle and so on.

In LA I miss all the above. JW Robinson's flagship store downtown had wooden escalators and floors and was reminiscent of Macy's in NYC. Bullock's Wilshire, the original store, was and is a gem. Now it is a law school library.

Besides I. Magnin's there was Joseph Magnin. I miss the great men's stores like Phelps Terkel, Silverwood's and Desmond's. I miss Wallach's Music City where you could play a vinyl record in a private sound booth.

I remember when Abercromie & Fitch could outfit you for a safari with tents, canoes and an elephant gun. Not only khaki trousers remain. I remember when smart businesswomen showed up in Alcott & Andrews or in outfits from Harold's.

B. Altman, Gimbel's, Barker's, Orbach's and Loehmann's from NYC.

Back in CA, gone are Buffum's the Broadway and the stores that consolidated into Broadway like The Emporium, Capwell's and Weinstock's.

And lastly, I do miss Fedco. I think it and Liberty House are the two I miss the most from my childhood. The deli at Fedco had these amazing sandwiches that I'll never forget.

Thanks for the jog down memory lane.

Old 04-20-2015, 12:56 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,296,604 times
I haven't read all the posts but I think this is a great thread.

I can echo a lot of the stores named here but I won't rename them all (just this morning I was thinking about some fun Miller's Outpost commercials from around 1979-80).

One store I didn't see mentioned in the posts I've read--though I may have missed it--was JJ Newberry's.

It is described on Wikipedia as a 5-and-dime store but I always called Newberry's "Newberry's" and Sprouse Reitz was "the five and dime" or "the dime store".

I'm also remembering a Walgreen's from long ago--you probably couldn't find one here like that now--it was right next to one of those small, family-run grocery stores I haven't seen in decades, either.

A little off topic: Marshall Field's/Macy's references made me remember Frango Mints--which you can still get, but I remember when they were bigger and each one was individually wrapped, and they came in a round cardboard can. They also had a wonderful coffee-flavored one that I haven't seen in decades.

Old 04-20-2015, 01:30 PM

3,676 posts, read 3,256,157 times
Here's one that I don't think has been mentioned yet: Hess's Department store from Allentown PA. They closed their flagship store in the mid-90's and the remaining stores were eventually sold and re-branded. In our area the store was re-branded as Bon Ton.

The Hess story is really pretty intriguing for a small town. Apparently Mr. Hess (the son of the founder) was a flamboyant character who was friends with a lot of Hollywood stars and was able to get them to come to Allentown in the 50's and 60's for various events. According to Wikipedia, Johnny Carson, Zsa Zsa Gabor, Gina Lolabrigida, and Rock Hudson were among the celebrities who came to Allentown on behalf of Hess's.

At one point in the 60's they drew attention, in staid little Allentown, for ordering one dozen "topless bikinis" from a famous European designer. When they failed to sell even a single one despite all the publicity, they promptly ordered another dozen, garnering even more publicity. Sadly they went the way of most regional chains, and the stores were bought out and split up amongst larger chains.

Old 04-20-2015, 01:42 PM

4,542 posts, read 4,464,891 times
The Vault in the lower West Side of Manhattan.

Old 04-20-2015, 02:18 PM

65 posts, read 63,305 times
In my hometown Memphis it was either Goldsmith where average folks shopped or Julius Lewis across the street where we looked. Goldsmith was five floor of heaven when I was a kids from candy in the basement to high end clothing on the top floor.

Old 04-20-2015, 02:19 PM

2,142 posts, read 2,914,967 times
One thing to keep in mind is that Macy's really didn't take over all of those stores. Prior to the merger of Federated Department Stores, and The May Co., most department stores still maintained their regional identity, and were able to operate in a semi independent manner. When the merger took place, it was decided that the stores would be better served by operating under one name nationwide. Since Macy's was easily the most well known among the various names being used, it was decided that Macy's would become the name that the chain operated under.

Some chains I remember:

Gimbel's
Horne's
GC Murphy
McCrory's
WT Grant
Zayre
David Weiss
Phar-Mor
White Cross Drug
Peoples Drug
Dart Drug
Thrift Drug
Revco
Thorofare Supermarkets
Gold Circle
Gee Bee
National Record Mart
Jeans West
Thom McAnn
A&P (I know they still exist, but they are such a shadow of the retail monster they used to be, that they deserve inclusion)

Old 04-20-2015, 02:21 PM

65 posts, read 63,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
I know we had them in southern CA, but none were near where I grew up. They were located outside of Los Angeles, if I remember correctly. South Bay, maybe?

Someone upthread mentioned J.J. Newberry, a store I hadn't thought of in decades. I used to buy candy there on the way home from junior high. Ditto Woolworth's.

I bought my first appliance for my first apartment (a microwave oven) at Montgomery Ward.
There was a Buffum in Pomona on the old mall downtown, lasted until the nineties. The building is still there but was engineered in to class room for a Medical College.

Last edited by longslim; 04-20-2015 at 02:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty